Who Is The Best Live Action Actress Who Has Played Wednesday?

Who has played Wednesday best?

• Lisa Loring

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Christina Ricci

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Nicole Fugere

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jenna Ortega

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yg9xWDT.png

Several series and movies featured The Addams Family, an extremely odd satirical family who first appeared in the 1960s on television. Four actresses, Lori Loring, Christina Ricci, Nicole Fugere and Jenna Ortega, have played the quirky daughter role of Wednesday over the years. Who played the role best?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ricci was fantastic in the role, but her only requirement was a dry delivery.

Ortega portrayed a more multifaceted Wednesday, and did so without sacrificing the creepiness.

Them

Reaction score
..I've seen Ricci as Wednesday...classic..Presently I have been watching the Wednesday series, Season 1 online...Jenna Ortega gets my vote!

gtb1943

Reaction score
I think Jenna Ortega did a great job playing Wednesday. But I have to give it to Christina Ricci because she was only 11 when she played Wednesday. Ortega is 20.
A very big difference indeed

gtb1943

Reaction score
Ricci was fantastic in the role, but her only requirement was a dry delivery.

Ortega portrayed a more multifaceted Wednesday, and did so without sacrificing the creepiness.
I would argue that the charactor was more correctly played by Ricci; so many actors/actresses want to display their talent more than play the role as it should be

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I would argue that the charactor was more correctly played by Ricci; so many actors/actresses want to display their talent more than play the role as it should be
I'm not sure what "correctly" would be. I think the original TV series Wednesday was livelier, with more of a normal little girl vibe, and if you're using the original series as your baseline, Ortega's Wednesday would be closer.

That said, they were both giving exactly what the directors wanted, so to imply that either of them was trying to change the character in an effort to show her range is probably a little presumptuous, IMO.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I'm not sure what "correctly" would be. I think the original TV series Wednesday was livelier, with more of a normal little girl vibe, and if you're using the original series as your baseline, Ortega's Wednesday would be closer.

That said, they were both giving exactly what the directors wanted, so to imply that either of them was trying to change the character in an effort to show her range is probably a little presumptuous, IMO.
so the director told you, eh?

I do not go with the original series; that was played down due to the times and being on TV.

gtb1943

Reaction score
If you study Charles Addams who created it, you will find he was a very big fan of the macabre; and from all I could find on him he wanted the Addams Family to be more creepy than funny. Thus Ricci was the more loyal to his concept.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
so the director told you, eh?

I do not go with the original series; that was played down due to the times and being on TV.
You think they refused to do it the way the director wanted it and kept their jobs? There are almost always interviews after a show or movie comes out, in which the director and the actors talk about their motivations and what the director wanted.

If you're not going by the original, then what exactly are you basing your opinion as to what constitutes "correctly"?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Christina Ricci has been robbed of Oscar nominations several times
Which roles got passed over in your opinion? She did get some serious non-Oscar recognition playing in The Opposite of Sex. Personally, I was tempted to say she was passed over for Black Snake Moan. The Academy does like to occasionally acknowledge gritty performances, even though her acting did not have much depth. I guess I am really fooling myself about her playing in BSM, lol. Still liked her in it though.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Which roles got passed over in your opinion? She did get some serious non-Oscar recognition playing in The Opposite of Sex. Personally, I was tempted to say she was passed over for Black Snake Moan. The Academy does like to occasionally acknowledge gritty performances, even though her acting did not have much depth. I guess I am really fooling myself about her playing in BSM, lol. Still liked her in it though.
The two definite ones are Opposite of Sex and Monster. Black Snake Moan is another deserving one. Opposite of Sex and Black Snake Moan, I can see getting passed because Best Actresses/Actor is hard to crack. But she definitely should have gotten a Best Supporting for Monster.

Around the times Opposite of Sex and Monster came out, it seemed the Academy avoided pop Actresses like the plauge. Kristen Dunst should have gotten one for The Virgin Suicides and Mila Kunis should have gotten one for Black Swan

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kristen Dunst should have gotten one for The Virgin Suicides and Mila Kunis should have gotten one for Black Swan
:hammer:
I had predicted Natalie Portman would win a best actress Oscar in Black Swan but was a bit surprised Kunis got passed over for supporting actress. Don't even remember the other choices in that category. Think I will go check it out.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@darthseinfeld

https://awardsdatabase.oscars.org/search/results (award category: Actress-Supporting Role, award year: 2010 (83rd))

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Amy Adams -- The Fighter {"Charlene Fleming"}
Helena Bonham Carter -- The King's Speech {"Queen Elizabeth"}
Melissa Leo -- The Fighter {"Alice Ward"}
Hailee Steinfeld -- True Grit {"Mattie Ross"}
Jacki Weaver -- Animal Kingdom {"Janine 'Smurf' Cody"}

^ Black Swan's year. I have never seen The Fighter but caught True Grit , The King's Speech and Animal Kingdom. Kunis' work was good enough in my opinion although Steinfeld and Weaver's was solid. No way she could have squeezed out Carter though.

The Academy should remove the five-nominee restriction in the category. Bump it to 8 or 10.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
@darthseinfeld

https://awardsdatabase.oscars.org/search/results (award category: Actress-Supporting Role, award year: 2010 (83rd))

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Amy Adams -- The Fighter {"Charlene Fleming"}
Helena Bonham Carter -- The King's Speech {"Queen Elizabeth"}
Melissa Leo -- The Fighter {"Alice Ward"}
Hailee Steinfeld -- True Grit {"Mattie Ross"}
Jacki Weaver -- Animal Kingdom {"Janine 'Smurf' Cody"}

^ Black Swan's year. I have never seen The Fighter but caught True Grit , The King's Speech and Animal Kingdom. Kunis' work was good enough in my opinion although Steinfeld and Weaver's was solid. No way she could have squeezed out Carter though.

The Academy should remove the five-nominee restriction in the category. Bump it to 8 or 10.
Stanfield was very good, but Kunis was better. Stanfield probably got the nod for being a child.

Being in a Cohen brothers filmed probably helped too