Who is your all time favorite LBer that played for the Cowboys?

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Linebackers always make a big difference in the run game and the best linebackers will even affect the passing game. The linebackers are more often than not, the guys bringing the attitude that ultimately transforms the entire face of the defense. If you don't think so... ask Dick Butkus.

Anyway, this could generate a really big list... so if it's weakside, strongside, middle, hybrid DE for the 3-4 defense... it doesn't matter... Even if it's someone not on this list, who was your favorite and why... Post your favorite memories or big hits... :eek:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chuck Howley.

Super Bowl V MVP. Should be in the HOF. Ring of Honor.

Lee Roy Jordan is a close second.

rlgiv

Reaction score
Charles Haley. It didn't matter where he lined up he created havoc. You always knew he was about to do something. To me he was even more fun to watch than Troy, Emmit, Or Irvin.

parchy

Reaction score
In terms of talent, Hollywood Henderson. Best LBer in team history.

In terms of actually liking him though, I'm going with Chuck. The more I hear about him, the more I like him.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
Chuck Howley.

Super Bowl V MVP. Should be in the HOF. Ring of Honor.

Lee Roy Jordan is a close second.
I would switch them around with Jordan first, Howley second, followed by D.D. Lewis, Ken Norton and Hollywood Henderson.

parchy

Reaction score
DallasEast said:
I would switch them around with Jordan first, Howley second, followed by D.D. Lewis, Ken Norton and Hollywood Henderson.

Lee Roy Jordan was an a**hole and a racist. Great ball-player, but by all accounts, a d-bag of the highest order.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
parchy said:
Lee Roy Jordan was an a**hole and a racist. Great ball-player, but by all accounts, a d-bag of the highest order.
I haven't heard a whole lot about his personality faults and would be interested in reading more of it. But, in terms of the thread's question, my view remains unchanged.

parchy

Reaction score
DallasEast said:
I haven't heard a whole lot about his personality faults and would be interested in reading more of it. But, in terms of the thread's question, my view remains unchanged.

Just explaining why I wouldn't put him at the top of my list.

aznhalf

Reaction score
Dat Nguyen is my favorite all time LB, and one of my favorite players. Great story, he had to fight for everything he got. Was always a professional and he'll be sorely missed in my house.

parchy

Reaction score
aznhalf said:
Dat Nguyen is my favorite all time LB, and one of my favorite players. Great story, he had to fight for everything he got. Was always a professional and he'll be sorely missed in my house.

I think we're all going to miss Dat. He was one of the most dedicated players I've ever seen, and you never heard a negative peep out of him, despite the fact he played during one of the toughest periods in team history.

CM Duck

I'm breaking the 4th wall...
Reaction score
no Jack del Rio?

no Eugene "the hitting machine" Lockhart?

:eek:

parchy

Reaction score
torrescatch22 said:
no Jack del Rio?

no Eugene "the hitting machine" Lockhart?

:eek:

You can only put so many people on those polls, and c'mon, there are only a handful of people on earth who would say del Rio is their favorite Cowboy LBer of all time. Kind of obscure.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
rlgiv said:
Charles Haley. It didn't matter where he lined up he created havoc. You always knew he was about to do something. To me he was even more fun to watch than Troy, Emmit, Or Irvin.
Charles Haley (DE 1992-96)

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Old school guys not mentioned like D.D. Lewis and Bob Breunig were great. Of course we had our share in the 90's also. Howley got my vote with Jordan next in line.

rynochop

Reaction score
Probably Henderson or NOrton.

As far as Haley, i guess if the 3-4 were around back then he could have been a LB.

jcollins28

Reaction score
Call me a homer but I have to go with Ken Norton Jr. I was pissed when the Boys let him walk and now he is being dissed by the Bruins. Ken was a stud and a great player.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Chuck Howley, and everyone else is wrong....

I will say I always like DD Lewis and Eugene Lockhart...they didn't have the pedigrees, but those guys were good Cowboys.