Who is your all time favorite LBer that played for the Cowboys?

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Dat Nguyen

Former Aggie, one of the best collegiant linebackers ever, class act, and no one ever did more with less on a football field. They said he was too small, too slow, etc. A great example of how far one can get with heart and a great work ethic.

needforspeed

Legend in my spare time
Reaction score
Steve DeOssie, Jesse Penn, Jeff Rohrer, Anthony Dickerson, Angelo King, Danny Spradlin, Don Talbert, Jerry Tubbs :D

Seriously, though, I would have to say Randy White.

J-DOG

Reaction score
I can't believe Billy Cannon Jr. has not been mentioned.

Seriously though one of the saddest stories was Jesse Penn getting injured.
I was a big fan of Thomas Henderson and I thought athletic-wise that Jesse Penn was similar.
Out of those original LB'ers I would pick Demarcus Ware.
His upside,character and his ability to make plays in the backfield makes him my pick.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I'm also a fan of Eugene Lockhart. He endured so much on a lossing team but didn't quit.

I remembered that he had broken fingers on both hands and had a cast on. Yet he was able to play and make tackles.

Yes he was my favorite because of his struggles. Nothing wrong with that right?

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
MichellesMan said:
Steve DeOssie, Jesse Penn, Jeff Rohrer, Anthony Dickerson, Angelo King, Danny Spradlin, Don Talbert, Jerry Tubbs :D

Seriously, though, I would have to say Randy White.

seriously... that's great but the Manster last played LB at Maryland. in the Pros he was a DT. and not just any DT. i remember a Sports Illustrated poll conducted in the late 70s where #54 was the concensus choice of NFL GMs as the "player you'd most like to build a team around". NS...

my vote went to Howley. i feel sorry for fans who missed his era. when the playoffs kicked off - howley went absolutely sick.

CM Duck

I'm breaking the 4th wall...
Reaction score
parchy said:
You can only put so many people on those polls, and c'mon, there are only a handful of people on earth who would say del Rio is their favorite Cowboy LBer of all time. Kind of obscure.

it's called sarcasm. get a Webster's, look it up.

while I was a fan of both palyers, they were in no way my favorite LBers in Cowboys' history.

I would have to go with Norton Jr or Hollywood. Its a toss up.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
I've seen all of them...but folks as far as talent goes..it is not even close.

Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson was LT before LT and it is why LT chose the #56... The guy returned Kickoffs for goodness sake (think about that for a minute)...

I love Howley but he wasn't close to Henderson and if you could pick one in their prime and in Henderson's case off drugs and in Howley's case out of the bottle... I don't think you would get a scout/GM to pick Howley over Henderson...jmho

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:
seriously... that's great but the Manster last played LB at Maryland. in the Pros he was a DT. and not just any DT.

I'm fairly ceretain Randy White did indeed play one year at LB in dallas.

parchy

Reaction score
Zaxor said:

Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson was LT before LT and it is why LT chose the #56... The guy returned Kickoffs for goodness sake (think about that for a minute)...

I love Howley but he wasn't close to Henderson and if you could pick one in their prime and in Henderson's case off drugs and in Howley's case out of the bottle... I don't think you would get a scout/GM to pick Howley over Henderson...jmho

The thread title says "favorite," not "best." As I mentioned earlier, on skill alone, I'd take Hollywood in a snap, but the guy had LT's attitude too before there was LT. His mink coats on the sideline despite Texas heat and his arrogance detracted from those late 70's teams, and you could even argue his attitude and role as a distractor kept them from winning it all at least once (1978 anyone?). He was a horrible teammate and was consumed by his vices during his time as a Cowboy, so if that's what makes a favorite for you, by all means...

rynochop

Reaction score
ConstantReboot said:
I'm also a fan of Eugene Lockhart. He endured so much on a lossing team but didn't quit.

I remembered that he had broken fingers on both hands and had a cast on. Yet he was able to play and make tackles.

Yes he was my favorite because of his struggles. Nothing wrong with that right?

Didn't Lockhart play an entire quarter once with a broken let without even realizing it?

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
i think we gotta admit guys, even though these guys are some good linebackers, I would say that linebacker might be the weakest position for the Boys historically.. ive said this before to some friends of mine: we don't have any elite linebackers in our history.. no Emmitts or Staubachs or Lilys at the LB position for us..

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I gotta go with Lockhart then Dat.

Classy guys who are still around Dallas.

Lockhart suffered from being on the the comparatively less talented Dallas teams and Dat has also.

Henderson is simply not a guy I could admire. Even cleaned up he is a self-promotion machine.

Norton had a shot but he left to join the wrong team. Now's he a traitorous goat.

And I agree that Dallas has not been a great place for backers or vice versa. Its certainly not like the Bears list.

BUT now with the 3-4 that should change pretty quickly and Ware may be a top 5 guy on all our lists by season's end. It wouldn't suprise me if Ware and Carpenter are most folks top 10 lists in 5 years.

needforspeed

Legend in my spare time
Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:
seriously... that's great but the Manster last played LB at Maryland. in the Pros he was a DT. and not just any DT. i remember a Sports Illustrated poll conducted in the late 70s where #54 was the concensus choice of NFL GMs as the "player you'd most like to build a team around". NS...

my vote went to Howley. i feel sorry for fans who missed his era. when the playoffs kicked off - howley went absolutely sick.

1976 Dallas Cowboys

* Hall of Fame

Head Coach: *Tom Landry

To be listed, a player must have played at least one game for the team during this season.

DBBenny BarnesLBBob BreunigDE/DTLarry ColeRBDoug DennisonTPat DonovanTEBilly Joe DuPreeG/CJim EidsonC/GJohn FitzgeraldDT/DEBill GregoryDBCliff HarrisLBMike HegmanLBTom HendersonKEffren HerreraDBRandy HughesRB/TEJim JensenWRButch JohnsonDEToo Tall JonesLBLee Roy JordanDBAaron KyleRBScott LaidlawGBurton LawlessLBD. D. LewisDEHarvey MartinTRalph NeelyRBRobert NewhouseGBlaine NyeWRDrew PearsonRB/DBPreston PearsonDT/DEJethro PughC/GTom RaffertyDBBeasley ReeceDB/RB*Mel RenfroWRGolden RichardsTE/WRJay SaldiDEGreg SchaumGHerbert ScottQB*Roger StaubachDBMark WashingtonDBCharlie WatersQBDanny WhiteDT/LB/DE*Randy WhiteT/TERayfield WrightRBCharley Young

Seriously :D

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Zaxor said:

I remember Henderson scoring a TD off a reverse KR against the Bucs... that fella could fly too... 1979 or 1980, can't quite remember which year or game... I wonder if it was the 38-0 thumping in the playoffs at Texas Stadium. It was cool though...

BTW thanks for being a vet... Godspeed wherever and whenever.:bow:

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lee Roy Jordan.

Haley was not a LB 99% of the time.

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
rynochop said:
Didn't Lockhart play an entire quarter once with a broken let without even realizing it?

I have a broken let right now, and I don't realize it.:eek::