Who said preseason games weren't meaningful?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’ve been watching the Cowboys for many years and one thing that’s always upset me is that the Cowboys backups seem to get beat like a sick dog every preseason. This game was a breath of fresh air as both sides of the ball played really well. They ran the ball very well in the first quarter and the defense was stout. Trey started out pretty bad with inaccurate passes but he started to show signs of gaining some confidence. The drive to end the second half was sweet and a great confidence builder for the young QB. He showed enough to me that the Cowboys should extend him so he can really get some seasoning for the next few years.

Bottom line is that this was a great preseason game. I know they’re those like @Bobhaze who think preseason games are meaningless, but the performance from bot sides of the ball in this game was extremely encouraging and very much meaningful.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The reason preseason games mean quite a bit less is the fact you have no clue what the coaches are doing by the way they call plays. Are they attempting to put a player in a situation to see how he responds? How about the coaches on the other side? What was their goal on any given play? And how does the final product come into play when the team you lost to, or beat, ends up being a bottom dweller?

A win feels good. But all preseason games come with an asterisk.

Mark

Reaction score
The game definitely felt like a continuation of the Great Trey Lance Experiment.

In that respect (among others) it could hardly be called "meaningless"?

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I’ve been watching the Cowboys for many years and one thing that’s always upset me is that the Cowboys backups seem to get beat like a sick dog every preseason. This game was a breath of fresh air as both sides of the ball played really well. They ran the ball very well in the first quarter and the defense was stout. Trey started out pretty bad with inaccurate passes but he started to show signs of gaining some confidence. The drive to end the second half was sweet and a great confidence builder for the young QB. He showed enough to me that the Cowboys should extend him so he can really get some seasoning for the next few years.

Bottom line is that this was a great preseason game. I know they’re those like @Bobhaze who think preseason games are meaningless, but the performance from bot sides of the ball in this game was extremely encouraging and very much meaningful.
-I was impressed with how the 2nd team defense matched the Raiders 1st team offense. Very stout indeed.
-Good running game today from the Cowboys they have some tough choices to make for RB3. We haven't heard much about Vaughn but he was impressive in his opportunities and showed his shiftness and speed today. Freeman ran hard, but between him and Zeke I think they're going to be too similar of running styles.
-Lance showed growth and led a couple nice drives. If he relies on his legs, strong running game, and just takes the easy throw I think he has potential to hold it down for a couple games. Totally different feeling from last week.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The reason preseason games mean quite a bit less is the fact you have no clue what the coaches are doing by the way they call plays. Are they attempting to put a player in a situation to see how he responds? How about the coaches on the other side? What was their goal on any given play? And how does the final product come into play when the team you lost to, or beat, ends up being a bottom dweller?

A win feels good. But all preseason games come with an asterisk.
This game had nothing to do about stats. It was all about heart as 2 teams battled both playing vanilla offenses and defenses and the Cowboys came out on top. Backups sure, but refreshing to see none the less.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This game had nothing to do about stats. It was all about heart as 2 teams battled both playing vanilla offenses and defenses and the Cowboys came out on top. Backups sure, but refreshing to see none the less.
Funny thing is, I didn't mention stats at all. I mentioned the intent of the coaches to see how players respond facing different situations. The coaches could possibly not care less if they win or lose, but rather to gain information on players.

I think of the phrase used here a lot.... The Underwear Olympics. This game might be a half step up from that.

J12B

Reaction score
Coaches hate them and wish they didn’t have to play more than one. That says more than whatever fans think of them.
That varies. The last poll released showed 60% of NFL Head Coaches were in favor of 3 reason games.

10% wanted only 2 ppreseason games;
10% wanted one; and
20% said they did not care.

shabazz

Reaction score
It's about evaluating players ability and response to coaching.

And BTW, the coaches , trainers, analysts and many others are also being evaluated in these situations as well.

It's a necessary exercise in every form.....the score it the Least important thing

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Funny thing is, I didn't mention stats at all. I mentioned the intent of the coaches to see how players respond facing different situations. The coaches could possibly not care less if they win or lose, but rather to gain information on players.

I think of the phrase used here a lot.... The Underwear Olympics. This game might be a half step up from that.
Some folks can’t see the forest because of the trees.

GINeric

Reaction score
I feel like we'll actually have a defense that can stop the run!!! THAT'S very encouraging!!

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Did not watch the game , but from the comments here and looking at the stats it appears that Trey, the defense and the team in general showed improvement. And no meaningful injuries . So just what was needed. :flagwave:

And good to see Aubrey in mid season form.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's about evaluating players ability and response to coaching.

And BTW, the coaches , trainers, analysts and many others are also being evaluated in these situations as well.

It's a necessary exercise in every form.....the score it the Least important thing
A.K.A. Very meaningful.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
How convenient, old fellow, to suddenly be positive about Lance after you were called out as a Dak fanboy throwing shade at Lance.
So transparent, rocky.