Who said preseason games weren't meaningful?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
How convenient, old fellow, to suddenly be positive about Lance after you were called out as a Dak fanboy throwing shade at Lance.
So transparent, rocky.
Not sure what you’re talking about or where you’ve been but I’ve been pulling for Lance from day 1. If he does well, the Cowboys do well. He showed promise tonight along with the usual issues. None the less, he improved from last week and that’s a positive. Looking forward to the final preseason game. So crap on me all you want, but you’re totally wrong in this case.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I’ve been watching the Cowboys for many years and one thing that’s always upset me is that the Cowboys backups seem to get beat like a sick dog every preseason. This game was a breath of fresh air as both sides of the ball played really well. They ran the ball very well in the first quarter and the defense was stout. Trey started out pretty bad with inaccurate passes but he started to show signs of gaining some confidence. The drive to end the second half was sweet and a great confidence builder for the young QB. He showed enough to me that the Cowboys should extend him so he can really get some seasoning for the next few years.

Bottom line is that this was a great preseason game. I know they’re those like @Bobhaze who think preseason games are meaningless, but the performance from bot sides of the ball in this game was extremely encouraging and very much meaningful.
I suppose it depends on who you are asking. If @Bobhaze says preseason games are meaningless then I respect that because that's his opinion. On the other hand, I find them with lots of purpose. First, they are an evaluation tool measuring the progress of the young players we have recently acquired. I use the first game as a baseline and measure the progress of players from that point forward. By the final preseason game, you can see notable improvement by many of the players. This also gives you a greater understanding of which players are most likely to get cut.

So now that we have seen two preseason games, I can determine improvement in a few players. Overall, Trey Lance showed much improvement over his performance in the first preseason game. I liked the contributions of Vaughn and McMath as well. On defense, Kemon Hall's 69-yard pick-six was exciting to see. I thought Safety Mukuamu had a good game as well. I would like to see more pressure from the pass rush.

I did enjoy this game more than the first one and it had nothing to do with winning. I saw a more finished product on the field. IMO, I saw meaningful improvements.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Not sure what you’re talking about or where you’ve been but I’ve been pulling for Lance from day 1. If he does well, the Cowboys do well. He showed promise tonight along with the usual issues. None the less, he improved from last week and that’s a positive. Looking forward to the final preseason game. So crap on me all you want, but you’re totally wrong in this case.
You're backtracking, as usual.
So transparent.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
I’ve been watching the Cowboys for many years and one thing that’s always upset me is that the Cowboys backups seem to get beat like a sick dog every preseason. This game was a breath of fresh air as both sides of the ball played really well. They ran the ball very well in the first quarter and the defense was stout. Trey started out pretty bad with inaccurate passes but he started to show signs of gaining some confidence. The drive to end the second half was sweet and a great confidence builder for the young QB. He showed enough to me that the Cowboys should extend him so he can really get some seasoning for the next few years.

Bottom line is that this was a great preseason game. I know they’re those like @Bobhaze who think preseason games are meaningless, but the performance from bot sides of the ball in this game was extremely encouraging and very much meaningful.
They're not meaningless, the final scores are. And therefore I wouldn't watch them. Coaches and trainers learn a lot about their players in those games. I'm eager to see what the final 53 roster will be. Anything before that is just all speculation and wanna be insider's talk.

plymkr

Reaction score

This was a fun game to watch and I agree that it is an important win for us. Even though it’s preseason and it doesn’t count in the standings. The last real game we played we got stomped and then we lost to the Rams last week. I think it feels good just to win and get those losing vibes out of here. Also the way we won was encouraging:
1.Lance showed progress which shows we might not have wasted a 4th on the guy. After last week I was questioning if he’d make the roster. It was that bad.
2. We ran the ball. Very encouraging
3. We did a good job stopping the run
4. 2 games in a row with a TO and this one went for a pick 6
5. Booth and Kneeland played well
6. No injuries
7. Aubrey hit a 66 yarder

IMHO opinion I feel this was a great game to shake of the stink of the GB game and there was numerous things in this game to be pumped about. And in an offseason that has not been fun this, as you said, was a welcome breath of fresh air.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The game definitely felt like a continuation of the Great Trey Lance Experiment.

In that respect (among others) it could hardly be called "meaningless"?
The kid is climbing the mountain.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
This was a fun game to watch and I agree that it is an important win for us. Even though it’s preseason and it doesn’t count in the standings. The last real game we played we got stomped and then we lost to the Rams last week. I think it feels good just to win and get those losing vibes out of here. Also the way we won was encouraging:
1.Lance showed progress which shows we might not have wasted a 4th on the guy. After last week I was questioning if he’d make the roster. It was that bad.
2. We ran the ball. Very encouraging
3. We did a good job stopping the run
4. 2 games in a row with a TO and this one went for a pick 6
5. Booth and Kneeland played well
6. No injuries
7. Aubrey hit a 66 yarder

IMHO opinion I feel this was a great game to shake of the stink of the GB game and there was numerous things in this game to be pumped about. And in an offseason that has not been fun this, as you said, was a welcome breath of fresh air.
Last week was not that bad.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I now see why the scouts were excited to get Liufau round three. He’s active and always around the play . Seems to know what he’s doing . Along with Clark & Overshown that’s three young LB’s to throw at the Eagles .

Flamma

Reaction score
I’ve been watching the Cowboys for many years and one thing that’s always upset me is that the Cowboys backups seem to get beat like a sick dog every preseason.
Isn't that the truth. I too was happy to see a good preseason game. I also didn't care that we fumbled that one punt or kickoff because it doesn't matter. But I felt like I should. It was weird.

leeblair

Reaction score

For once, I agree with you.
Since there are fewer preseason games coaches must use them to get their team ready, and it makes for better competition, which gives even the scrubs an opportunity to show their ability in a more competitive atmosphere.
I think the NFL is made stronger this way.

plymkr

Reaction score
Last week was not that bad.
The bad news is last was really bad. The good news is this week much, much better. IMO last week I was thinking cut him to save 5 million on salary. After yesterday I think he can be a player in the league. I’m a Lance guy last week I was pretty disappointed, this week I’m pretty excited.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
It's certainly better than looking like hot garbage which teams have recently in the pre-season. Especially DQ coached Defenses. Always seem "laissez-faire" acting to me. I never liked it. The scheme and philosophy change is extremely noticeable on D at least to me.
DQ is the biggest fraud in football. Getting rid of him is a huge win. Him going to the Skins is a bonus.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Whatever they mean the NFL will soon be going to two preseason games instead of three. I guess they don’t mean enough to play many of them.

shabazz

Reaction score
Whatever they mean the NFL will soon be going to two preseason games instead of three. I guess they don’t mean enough to play many of them.
Money trumps meaningful in almost every case with a bidness.