Who thinks Vince Young has a strong arm???

hh8604

Reaction score
it seems to me that when he passes it more than 25 yards he puts it way up in the air to get it there...anyone else notice this???

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Vince Young is many things, but a weak armed QB is not one of them. He threw a ball 70 yards through the air in his freshman game against OU.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Having a strong arm is great but is he accurate? I used to be able to throw the ball a long way but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn lol

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I believe his accuracy has come a long way in the last year. Alot of that comes with understanding the offense. I will say this. I agree that Young has a strong arm but I also believe that his throwing motion prevents him from throwing the ball as hard as he could. We will see if the NFL makes him change it or not.

royhitshard

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Having a strong arm is great but is he accurate? I used to be able to throw the ball a long way but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn lol
Is your name D. McNabb? :eek: :D

jimmy40

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
67.4% completion. Everybody has pretty much shut their mouth on that subject.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
High completion % doesn't necessarily mean he's accurate.

It all depends on the definition of "accurate". IMO, accurate isn't just throwing the ball in the vicinity of a WR. It's throwing the ball to the WR in a spot where only he can catch it and he could have the best chance of getting some YAC as well.

Young has very nice touch on his deep balls though. I think his mobility causes so much concern to opposing defenses that it helps his WRs get open. LBs aren't dropping into the passing lanes as fast or as often as they normally would and it results in more room to complete passes.

That said, I think Young can be a very good QB if he has a good QB coach that will correct his mechanics.

But completion % doesn't tell the whole story.

marz512

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
When 62% of your passes are to the TE and RB, that isnt difficult

He single-handedly trashed OU...among all the other teams hes played.

Give the man some credit, hes a very special player. Of course hes built in the mold of a Micheal Vick, or any other running quarterback, but the one thing he has is HEART, and a lot of it. Vince Young is a compeditor.

As far as his arm strength is concerend...when you routely throw 25-40 yrds flat footed, just using his wrist to flick the ball to his recievers, what do you think that is? Its pure arm! His mechanics are all his own, this is his style, and I highly doubt that when he gets to the NFL his throwing motions will change.

don't be bitter OU fans...Brett Bomar will come around some day. No need to sell your season tickets just yet...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
marz512 said:
His mechanics are all his own, this is his style, and I highly doubt that when he gets to the NFL his throwing motions will

If his mechanics don't change he'll never be a good NFL QB. Ever.

lzppjb

Reaction score
When 62% of your passes are to the TE and RB, that isnt difficult

You don't watch much, do you? Dave Thomas is having a subpar year because Vince is throwing to his receivers so much.

marz512

Reaction score
Rack said:
If his mechanics don't change he'll never be a good NFL QB. Ever.

Usually, I would agree with your statement, but why try to fix something that isn't broken?

He's lightyears ahead of where he was last year, so, I guess in someway, yes, his throwing motion can be twicked a little, but then again, you can't make every quarterback throw like Montana, or Elway...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
marz512 said:
Usually, I would agree with your statement, but why try to fix something that isn't broken?

He's lightyears ahead of where he was last year, so, I guess in someway, yes, his throwing motion can be twicked a little, but then again, you can't make every quarterback throw like Montana, or Elway...

What makes you say it isn't "Broken"?

He won't be able to throw like that at the NFL level. And keep in mind I'm referring to his mechanics mainly, not necessarily his throwing motion. I'm talking about his footwork, toe placement, hip movement, etc...

The throwing motion needs work too, but not as much as his mechanics.

By improving his mechanics you improve his velocity and accuracy.

jbsg02

Reaction score
You can't argue the fact that he is making good decisions on the field, and in essence, is the most important thing a QB can do.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
After seeing today, I really do think we need to draft an elite quarterback in the upcoming draft. Unless Bledsoe totally proves me wrong, he doesn't play for this team after this year JMO. I really hope he proves me wrong though, hopefully its just a two game hiccup for him.