Who wants "BABY TO"?

Silverstar

Reaction score
University of Central Florida could have the next Terrell Owens....without the prima donna attitude.

Sound too good to be true?

Maybe not.

Here are the facts...

His name is Brandon Marshall and he's a senior prospect in this year's draft. He's currently 21 years old, but will quickly turn 22 next month. At 6-4 229lbs, he's already bigger than Owens at 6-3 223lbs. He runs a quick 4.50 in the 40 and had a solid senior campaign, ending with 74 catches, for 1,195 yards and 11 TD's. Posting a career best in the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl with 10 catches for 210 yards and 3 TD's. This kid can certainly block, catch, run fast enough and get decent separation with 16.1 YPC. He can also tackle, since he played safety his Junior year.

That's right a freakin' safety! :eek:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=135815

http://ucfathletics.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/marshall_brandon00.html

Here's a good analysis BEFORE the combine...

Strengths

Brandon is a big, strong, tall, powerful receiver. He has very strong hands and catches the ball away from his body. He shows excellent quickness for his size and has a great burst off the line of scrimmage. Brandon does a very good job blocking and shows excellent leadership skills. He looks to be an excellent teammate and at this stage of the draft, does not seem to be on anyone's radar screen except for ours here at THR.

Needs to Improve

Some people will suggest that he might be a TE. Trust me, he is too quick in and out of his breaks to waste at TE, although if you want to put him in the slot on third and long, he will impact.

Bottom Line

I think the most intriguing aspect of Brandon’s game is that he has a relativity short stride for such a large person. We are definitely talking about first round talent that should be picked sometime the first day, but you never know what will happen in a draft. Brandon’s first step off the line is large, but quick. Then I notice that he never over-strides after that first step. This keeps him on balance to make quick cuts, stops and fakes while he is running his routes at full speed. At his size, he is probably the quickest in and out of his breaks that I've ever seen. This makes his 40-yd speed, no matter what it is, a non-issue. He has very strong "run after catch" abilities along with strong hands -- and is mentally tough. He is also just learning the WR position. He really wants to be “the man”, but also understands how he should fit in a team concept. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to take Brandon at the end of the first round, but as you all know, that’s just me and not the reality of where a player will actually go in the draft. To be truthful, isn’t that what THR is all about -- the ability to project when a player will be taken in the draft? THR is not solely about profiling players. What makes THR so valuable to so many GM’s, Head Coaches, Directors of Scouting, National TV Commentators and Player Agents is the over 80% accuracy rating of what round or what day a player is projected to be picked in the draft. So now, I have profiled a sleeper. It should be fun to see how many people agree with me before the draft and then where he gets picked. I think Brandon has big time written all over him. A new Marshall has come to town and he’s ready to clean up. His name is Marshall Brandon! (Or is it Brandon Marshall? I always get that mixed up!)

Drew Boylhart January 2006 - The Huddle Report

Any takers?

If not, think about the Skins, Gnats or Iggles drafting him instead. Think about having to face another T.O. type twice a year...for the next 5-10 years.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Sorry....I couldn't wait. :p:

For those who like Colston over Marshall, let me just say that Hofstra is a Div II school. The competition is much weaker and Colston didn't exactly light up the competition either. His 13.9 YPC and 5 TD's last year doesn't impress me, considering the speed he obviously has.

Yes, Colston posted a faster time of 4.43 and is the same size as Marshall at 6-4 230, but comparing these two is sort of like comparing Jay Cutler to Ingle Martin. Martin throws a faster ball, so he must be better right?

Wrong

Hailmary

Reaction score
I like Bolyhart's analysis of players. It's not always about the measurables w/ him.

2nd would be too high for either one, 3rd I'd seriously consider, 4th (if we end up w/ one) I think they'd be a great p/u (esp. Marshall).

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
I like Colston better as well.
Marshall didn't look as good in the workouts, to me.

Jay

Reaction score
.. And that's why you're not a scout.

No offense, of course.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
I think this guy played in Shrine game? Or was it Hula Bowl? From what I saw, this guy is a player. But since its an all-star game and not as much high level as Senior bowl not sure how he would compare against good competition.

AmericasTeam

Reaction score
Silverstar said:
Sorry....I couldn't wait. :p:

For those who like Colston over Marshall, let me just say that Hofstra is a Div II school. The competition is much weaker and Colston didn't exactly light up the competition either. His 13.9 YPC and 5 TD's last year doesn't impress me, considering the speed he obviously has.

Yes, Colston posted a faster time of 4.43 and is the same size as Marshall at 6-4 230, but comparing these two is sort of like comparing Jay Cutler to Ingle Martin. Martin throws a faster ball, so he must be better right?

Wrong

Oh I did not know Hofstra was a Division II School, oh wait I am lying I did know, but what is this baby TO stuff when speaking of Marshall? And if I remember correctly TO went to a little division II school in the ovc BY THE NAME OF UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE @ CHATTANOOGA!!! nuff said.

PS Colston looked pretty good in the ?Hula Bowl?
:tongue: :clubbed:

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
I might've considered him, but hearing about TO, I would rather have an OT before we worry about receivers...

Silverstar

Reaction score
AmericasTeam said:
Oh I did not know Hofstra was a Division II School, oh wait I am lying I did know, but what is this baby TO stuff when speaking of Marshall? And if I remember correctly TO went to a little division II school in the ovc BY THE NAME OF UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE @ CHATTANOOGA!!! nuff said.

PS Colston looked pretty good in the ?Hula Bowl?
:tongue: :clubbed:

The "BABY TO" wasn't my idea. I got it from the Footballs Future site.

Hey wait....maybe Dallas can get Martin and Colston as UDFA's!

:laugh2:

AmericasTeam

Reaction score
Silverstar said:
The "BABY TO" wasn't my idea. I got it from the Footballs Future site.

Hey wait....maybe Dallas can get Martin and Colston as UDFA's!

:laugh2:

Silverstar I wanted to commend you for your comment back. I was being playful in my response, but later felt a little worried that you might be offended and come out firing; so thanks for the clean banter; alot of the hardcore responses keep me from posting in some threads. Who is Martin?

Silverstar

Reaction score
Not a problem dude...I don't get upset easily. I've been coming to this board for almost 2 years and have barely 1,000 posts. I rarely start a thread here and when I do, it usually winds up on the 3rd page in like 12 hours.

Like today...

BTW, Ingle Martin is a QB from Div II Furman.

He threw like a 65 mph football at the combine and Cutler came in second with a 60 mph ball. Sorry, but I thought this was common knowledge by now. :D

Silverstar

Reaction score
Oh...and for those who wish this thread WAS on the 3rd page all I can say is.......

:p: