Who was our biggest draft miss of all time?

cowboybish

Reaction score
Of all the first round picks that were on the board when we picked but didn’t take them - in Cowboys history who was our biggest miss?

was it Moss?

remdak

Reaction score
Of all the first round picks that were on the board when we picked but didn’t take them - in Cowboys history who was our biggest miss?

was it Moss?
I have to agree, but I am still bitter about missing out on TJ Watt as well. At least with Moss, we got a decent player in Ellis instead. Taco was a wasted pick.

Last edited:

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I have to agree, but I am still bitter about missing out on TJ Watt as well. At least with Moss, we get a decent player in Ellis. Taco was a wasted pick.
My thoughts exactly. It hurts to think about how a player like moss may have impacted this team, but you still ended up with a pro bowl caliber player.

the taco pick not only missed out on a top player, but you completely missed on your pick.

2012 hurt pretty bad too. Not sure who they would have taken over no Claiborne but with keuchly, Gillmore, Poe all in the board it looks really bad.

John813

Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers. Quincy Carter was our quarterback when we passed on Rodgers. The big tuna should have been fired for that mistake alone. We passed on Rodgers twice.

Bledsoe was our qb going into the 2005 draft.

Quincy was cut in 2004. Not like this makes a big difference as Bledsoe was an over the hill statue

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

was it Moss?

When I saw this thread, I thought of players like Taco, David LaFleur, Shante Carver. I don't really consider players that we didn't draft as draft misses, primarily because other teams didn't draft them either.

Now, if we could have gotten one of those guys, like TJ Watt, instead of our miss, Charlton, that would definitely factor into the equation. But when you are considering all the guys we could have drafted, then like with every team, you'd have to point out someone like Tom Brady. It opens up every draft pick ever taken by another team after our first pick as being a possibility. Go back to 1979 and throw Joe Montana in there. We had a decade of failure after Staubach's career came to an end and could have had Montana to replace him instead of White.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Ahh forgot about the 2 #1s that year. Good call.
The way people hated Quincy Carter back then too. I am surprised no one talks about that mistake. Tuna has a lot of buddies in the media I guess. Franchise altering mistake. Way bigger then Moss in my opinion.

Shane612

Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers. Quincy Carter was our quarterback when we passed on Rodgers. The big tuna should have been fired for that mistake alone. We passed on Rodgers twice.

Parcells didn't draft QC.
QC was already the QB when Parcells became HC

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The way people hated Quincy Carter back then too. I am surprised no one talks about that mistake. Tuna has a lot of buddies in the media I guess. Franchise altering mistake. Way bigger then Moss in my opinion.
Is that a bill issue or a jerry issue though? Wouldn’t surprise me at all if jerry was just being stubborn on QC since he tried to outsmart everyone else in that draft.

Bill always seemed to like Quincy too so who knows?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The Cowboys had two first round picks in 2005. Aaron Rodgers was on the board both times.

The first pick was Ware, which was cool, but the second was Spears who wasn't anything special.