Who was the best pass-rushing (guys who get sacks) Cowboy ever?

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
You guys are right that Harvey had Manster and Haley had Superior Defensive talent around him, but let's not hold it against Ware that he's the only true pass rusher we have. Ellis has slipped this season and Spencer has been hurt.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I'd say Martin or Randy White. Martin got more sacks, but White got an incredible amount of sacks from the DT position. Ware is on pace to be the best ever for the Cowboys.

YAKUZA

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
ykc;2408805 said:
May be somebody should teach this to Canty. We can live without his 2 sacks per season. on obvious passing plays, take a step back so that OL can't tie up his hands (we all know once he is engaged with OL, he doens't wnat to disengage ;) ) and try to knock passes down. He is 6-9 and if takes away all thos right side slants, would be a lot more help to our defensive backs.

Canty should watch tapes of Too Tall (one of my favorite players ever). He could learn a lot.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
silverbear;2408712 said:
Charles Haley
Harvey Martin
Jim Jeffcoat

Those are the 3 best passrushers in Cowboys history, IMO... Randy White and Bob Lilly were pretty good at it from DT, too...

I know, I left off Too Tall and even Tony Tolbert, but those DEs were actually better run stuffers who got to the QB from time to time...

Bear, I scoff at your list and offer a much more suitable group.....

1. Ekuban
2. Carver
3. Pittman
4. Zellner

you just can't beat the pass rushing force that this group gave us in the late 90s - early 00s....it is very unfortunate that Free Agency stole all of them from us...:eek:

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
burmafrd;2408777 said:
I think I read somewhere that Andrie had 22 sacks that year/ I seem to recall that Harvey Martin beat his team record his great year; the article I remember mentioned that he just beat Andrie's record.

I hate that we don't have any records of those days in terms of sacks. I'd love to know how many sacks Lilly, Pugh, Andrie, Cole had each year and in their careers as well as Martin, Jones, & White prior to 1982.

I know the Cowboys kept records on all of that but I don't know that they have ever published it anywhere.

catskillthunder

Reaction score
IF D-Ware can stay healthy his whole career, he will go down as the best in Cowboys history. As for whom has that distinction now, Id have to go with Martin.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
http://img240.*************/img240/2397/u1692321aw1.jpg
Andrie, Lilly, Pugh, Cole

In terms of guys I actually saw play, I'd have to go with Martin, followed by Haley. Both had an incredible first step.

30yrheel

Reaction score
i know i'm an old school guy, but the cowboys defenses used to be known as doomsday. we have individual talent like ware, but he may not be one of the greatest due to playing on some weak defenses.
i vote for harvey martin, but that might be beacause he had more talent around him.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Hostile;2408746 said:
Ed Jones could knock passes down better than anyone I have ever seen. Not only was he "Too Tall" he had great anticipation.

Harvey Martin was the best we've had IMO. The guy was a non stop QB eating machine.

Haley only rushed the passer and while he was good at it, okay great at it, he did not have Harvey's instincts for the rest of the game.

Ware has more talent than all of them. He can do more and is far more versatile. One day we will call him our best.

Nice write-up...

I totally agree... The Beautiful Harvey Martin has always been my favorite

catskillthunder

Reaction score
30yrheel;2408866 said:
i know i'm an old school guy, but the cowboys defenses used to be known as doomsday. we have individual talent like ware, but he may not be one of the greatest due to playing on some weak defenses.
i vote for harvey martin, but that might be beacause he had more talent around him.

Good point, but this discussion could go on forever because once someone starts saying, "Yea but the level of competition back then wasnt as good as it is now" Or, "Yesterdays athletes arent as big, strong and fast as todays are." See what Im getting at?

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
CoCo;2408800 said:
Something to consider...

Martin had the Manster playing alongside him and Too Tall at the other end.

Haley had nowhere near the talent next to him though maybe a near Too Tall equivalent in Tolbert at RE.
Jeffcoat, Tolbert, Lett, Jimmie Jones, Casillias, Hennings, Maryland. not all at the same time, but that's a pretty good group.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Harvey Martin
George Andre
Charles Haley
D Ware

And I believe that Ware will move up the list as his career goes on. In fact I am close to placing him ahead of Haley already.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
silverbear;2408712 said:
Charles Haley
Harvey Martin
Jim Jeffcoat

Those are the 3 best passrushers in Cowboys history, IMO... Randy White and Bob Lilly were pretty good at it from DT, too...

I know, I left off Too Tall and even Tony Tolbert, but those DEs were actually better run stuffers who got to the QB from time to time...

Nevermind...

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
Seven;2408784 said:
I hate to say it because I was (still am) the Grand Pooh-bah of Ware Homers...........I agree. I'm still waiting.

what the hell are you waiting for? him to be juggling tennis balls with both hands while singing like Sinatra while sacking the quarterback?

STSINAZ

Reaction score
MrKennedyKennedy;2408692 said:
With Haley on his defensive hot streak this year,

I got wondering:

of all the great pass-rushers in Cowboys history (i.e. the guys who sack the QB), who do you consider the best ever?

Harvey then haley then ware

Wood

Reaction score
Haley had the meanest streak of all of them....and it translated on the field. I feel Haley was better at rushing the passer than Martin. Martin might have been better all around player. Haley turned a soft defense into a unit with teeth that propelled dallas to multipe superbowls.

My ranking

Haley
Martin
Ware
Jeffcoat
Tolbert

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Harvey Martin had 23 sacks in 1977.

We're going by numbers, right?

After that, I would say Haley, with Ware coming on strong.