News: Who Will Lead The Defense In Sacks?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Who Will Lead The Defense In Sacks?
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2016/07/20/20-questions-who-will-lead-cowboys’-defense-sacks-2016

Nick Eatman: I wish I had a better answer than picking a guy that will serve a four-game suspension, but I just don’t. We did see DeMarcus Lawrence go on a tear last season and if he can get anywhere close to that pace again when he comes back, he can still flirt with double-digit sacks. I don’t see anyone else getting more than six, so my answer is Lawrence. I would like to give you a wildcard or darkhorse pick, but I really don’t have one. Maybe Mayowa can get hot and become that speed-rusher this team needs and perhaps Tapper uses his quickness to get a few sacks. But leading the team? It has to be Lawrence for me.

David Helman: I’m going to go with Tyrone Crawford, for a variety of reasons. Firstly, he’s not facing a four-game suspension – which will give him a leg up over the Cowboys’ other top pass rushers. More importantly, he plays the all-important three-technique position, which has long been touted as the most crucial position in Rod Marinelli’s defense. We saw how much a good three-tech can do for a defense when Jason Hatcher notched 11 sacks in 2013. Crawford is being paid $9 million per seasons to deliver those types of results, and he needs to deliver – not just because he’s well-paid, but because there aren’t many other options to generate pressure. Crawford played most of the season with a bum shoulder last year, so the hope is that he’ll be fully healthy in 2016. If he is, I think he’s capable of seven or eight sacks – which is likely good enough to lead the team.

Bryan Broaddus: Benson Mayowa. I really do believe that the pro scouts got this player right from what I was able to see from the OTA practices and on his tape from the Raiders. He showed me the ability to capture the edge and I believe he has the ability to finish. I know the numbers don't say that now but at the end of the season I think they will. I also like the fact that he started his career with the Seahawks. Those scouts know a thing or two about edge rushers and they saw something in him that gives me some hope that he can develop...

lkelly

Reaction score
Probably some street free agent that the sign half way through the season as the revolving door DL trend continues.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Proper easier to use a process of elimination for this answer and see who's left.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
David Irving and T. Crawford will each have double digit sacks.

Crawford had 5 sacks last year with Hayden playing next to him drawing single blocking and with his rotator cuff injury basically limiting him to playing with one arm.

David Irving was a rookie who was picked in the mid season and had no training camp so he had no time learning our scheme. With a full off season of work with Mike Woicik, OTAs, TC and pre-season; plus the fact that Marinelli praised his athleticism and ability to "bend" around the corner, a guy with his build and measurables is a perfect fit for LDE. He will start at LDE and not give it up when Lawrence gets back, Lawrence will move to the RDE.

Both will benefit from the fact that if we return to our 2014 form on offense, we had 558 pass attempts against us that year compared to 506 in 2015.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lawrence or Gregory, even after missing 4 games. One of them, or both will produce once they return.

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
Probably some street free agent that the sign half way through the season as the revolving door DL trend continues.

I wish there was a button that said "hope this isn't the case" instead of "like". However, I can see that.I just hope it's not a player over 26 years old. I am sick of retreads on a defense that is at least 2 years or more away with the overall lack of talent (available talent) and depth. I just wish I had the answers. Better drafting in the mid and later rounds, better UDFA and timely Free Agents would be a start. I'm afraid that fans, and even the Cowboys leadership will want the likes of Freeney. I just think that is wrong on many levels. You will only get a year out of him and will not develop or rule out younger talent. It's not like Freeney is Charles Haley (the one player needed for a Super Bowl run).

Doomsday101

Reaction score
What I am hoping for is getting consistent pressure and getting 3 or 4 guys with 7 to 8 sacks and guys like Gregory and Lawrence coming on strong late in the season for the final push. Right now I don't see a Ware type pass rusher, a guy who will give you 17 sacks but if you can get a decent number of sacks coming from more than 1 player it can make a big impact.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Who Will Lead The Defense In Sacks?
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2016/07/20/20-questions-who-will-lead-cowboys’-defense-sacks-2016

Nick Eatman: I wish I had a better answer than picking a guy that will serve a four-game suspension, but I just don’t. We did see DeMarcus Lawrence go on a tear last season and if he can get anywhere close to that pace again when he comes back, he can still flirt with double-digit sacks. I don’t see anyone else getting more than six, so my answer is Lawrence. I would like to give you a wildcard or darkhorse pick, but I really don’t have one. Maybe Mayowa can get hot and become that speed-rusher this team needs and perhaps Tapper uses his quickness to get a few sacks. But leading the team? It has to be Lawrence for me.

David Helman: I’m going to go with Tyrone Crawford, for a variety of reasons. Firstly, he’s not facing a four-game suspension – which will give him a leg up over the Cowboys’ other top pass rushers. More importantly, he plays the all-important three-technique position, which has long been touted as the most crucial position in Rod Marinelli’s defense. We saw how much a good three-tech can do for a defense when Jason Hatcher notched 11 sacks in 2013. Crawford is being paid $9 million per seasons to deliver those types of results, and he needs to deliver – not just because he’s well-paid, but because there aren’t many other options to generate pressure. Crawford played most of the season with a bum shoulder last year, so the hope is that he’ll be fully healthy in 2016. If he is, I think he’s capable of seven or eight sacks – which is likely good enough to lead the team.

Bryan Broaddus: Benson Mayowa. I really do believe that the pro scouts got this player right from what I was able to see from the OTA practices and on his tape from the Raiders. He showed me the ability to capture the edge and I believe he has the ability to finish. I know the numbers don't say that now but at the end of the season I think they will. I also like the fact that he started his career with the Seahawks. Those scouts know a thing or two about edge rushers and they saw something in him that gives me some hope that he can develop...

Crawford with both of his arms working and the human blowup doll Hayden gone will reach 11 sacks. David Irving will be right behind him with 9 or 10. #Watch