Who would you hate at 18?

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
There have been a few posts asking who you would like in the 3rd round, so I'm going the opposite way; who would you hate to see us take in the first?

Brodrick Bunkley
Gabe Watson
Chad Greenway
Ernie Sims
Ko Simpson
Jay Cutler (have seen him falling near us in some mocks)
Donte Whitner
Darnell Bing
...and probably a few others that I'm forgetting right now.

ghst187

Reaction score
cowboysfan31 said:
There have been a few posts asking who you would like in the 3rd round, so I'm going the opposite way; who would you hate to see us take in the first?

Brodrick Bunkley
Gabe Watson
Chad Greenway
Ernie Sims
Ko Simpson
Jay Cutler (have seen him falling near us in some mocks)
Donte Whitner
Darnell Bing
...and probably a few others that I'm forgetting right now.

totally agree with everyone...I'd also like to add:
Marcus Mcneil
Max Jean-Gilles
Jimmy Williams
Eric Winston

Displaced Cowboy

Reaction score
lots of names that i don't think would be considered at 18 but i'll play.

bunkley, watson, sims don't want in any round.

any FS not named huff or williams.

any OG or OT period.

Rudy

Reaction score
Why is everyone so opposed to drafting a free safety like Jimmy Williams or Ko Simpson??? Would having the best complete secondary in the league be that bad?

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
Rudy said:
Why is everyone so opposed to drafting a free safety like Jimmy Williams or Ko Simpson??? Would having the best complete secondary in the league be that bad?

Both of them are bad apples IMO. Simpson is immature, and dumb as a rock. I don't think he'd do very well with complicated defensive schemes that are run in the NFL.

Williams is also falling very far right now because he's seen as being very arrogant and cocky. He'll also want to play and get paid as a CB, but I'd rather have Henry at CB than Williams.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Rudy said:

When you can't stop the run or rush the passer.....yes.

FS isn't an impact position. Spend your first rounders on a player that can make a significant impact.....not sit in coverage 20 yards downfield.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Displaced Cowboy said:
Ed Reed begs to differ.

Ed Reed has primarily played SS. His FS was an undrafted FA.

He also had a pretty talented defense to play with as well.

If you were an offensive coordinator, would you stay up nights planning around the FS? Not me.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
ConcreteBoy said:
I pity the fool who looks past Ko Simpson at FS
Rock Hill, SC kid done doing good

He'd probably be a good value in 2.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
junk said:
When you can't stop the run or rush the passer.....yes.

FS isn't an impact position. Spend your first rounders on a player that can make a significant impact.....not sit in coverage 20 yards downfield.

Ed Reed isnt an impact player?

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Ed Reed isnt an impact player?

Congratulations, you are the second person to bring up Ed Reed in under 20 posts.

I'll go so far as to say no and repeat what I said earlier. He is primarily a SS anyway.

Think he benefits from having an already strong defense? Dallas doesn't have that luxury yet.

How many smart offensive coordinators wring their hands fretting about a FS? How many wring their hands wondering how to run the ball and how to contain an elite pass rusher?

No FS in 1.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
If Michael Huff is there and we pass, I'll break something of substantial value

I'd hope they trade down. You can pass on any secondary given enough time. You can run on the current Dallas defense.

1 is too high for a FS.

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
junk said:
I'd hope they trade down. You can pass on any secondary given enough time. You can run on the current Dallas defense.

1 is too high for a FS.

Junk, I just asked this in another thread. Don't you think Huff deserves special consideration for us if he were to fall to #18? I agree that it is a lot of money to invest in an already expensive secondary. However, he seems like a blue-chip prospect at a position of need for us. The fact that some initially considered him a CB prospect leads me to believe he'd be the type of versatile player that Parcells covets. I also thought we'd never go FS in the first but that was when I thought we were talking about Ko Simpson or similar. I never thought we'd have a shot at Huff. I'm obsessed with Parcells' stellar track record with first round picks. I don't see how we could dismiss a player of his caliber just because of his position.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Sitting Bull said:
Junk, I just asked this in another thread. Don't you think Huff deserves special consideration for us if he were to fall to #18? I agree that it is a lot of money to invest in an already expensive secondary. However, he seems like a blue-chip prospect at a position of need for us. The fact that some initially considered him a CB prospect leads me to believe he'd be the type of versatile player that Parcells covets. I also thought we'd never go FS in the first but that was when I thought we were talking about Ko Simpson or similar. I never thought we'd have a shot at Huff. I'm obsessed with Parcells' stellar track record with first round picks. I don't see how we could dismiss a player of his caliber just because of his position.

I'll agree that Huff is a quality player and the fact that he plays corner could mean he could fill in for Henry down the road......but, I hate the idea of a 1st round pick being a FS.

Great value, position of need.....it would make sense, but I'd still hate it. The track record of free safeties in 1 is spotty at best.

I can't see Huff dropping that far although stranger things have happened. I'd like it better than Greenway.