Who would you have picked to replace Jimmy Johnson instead of Switzer?

MrKennedyKennedy

Reaction score
Suppose Jerry Jones asked you to find a coach to replace Jimmy Johnson.

Instead of Barry Switzer, I'm sure you could have thought of a coach that could have kept the discipline and drive of JJ's 1992 and 1993 teams.

I always wondered that, had the team kept Norv Turner or Dave Wannstedt, would Dallas have still been dominant in the 90s instead of declining?

Who would YOU have chosen?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That was 15 years ago .... I do not even remember who was a coach and who was an assistant.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Barry took over a team that won TWO Super Bowls.

Wade took over a team that's just as talented, but underachieved quite a bit.

BIG difference-yeah, even my great grandma could have coached Jimmy's team.

QT

Reaction score
Everything worked out. Cowboys won one more superbowl. Probably could have won more or probably could have not made it at all....

joseephuss

Reaction score
windward;2335270 said:
Joe Gibbs :eek:

He would have been a good pick in 1994. I thought so at the time.

Dan Reeves would have been a good pick, but he already had a job with the Giants.

Wannstedt also already had a job with Chicago, but I did not think he would be a good head coach.

I can't remember exactly when Turner got offered the Skins head coaching job. Did it happen before or after Jerry and Jimmy split? It was all in the same time period.

I do remember hearing good things about the DC with the Vikings, Tony Dungy.

I did not think Switzer was a good choice, nor did I think it was a horrible choice. Just probably was not the right choice because he was not somebody that was going to be in Dallas long term. I prefer stability if you can get it.

joseephuss

Reaction score
CATCH17;2335294 said:
I would've never fired The Jimster.

Jimmy quit. He only quit after Jerry shot his mouth off, but he did quit. I don't blame him, but it was ultimately his choice. He could have swallowed his pride and just dealt with Jerry's insanity.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
joseephuss;2335326 said:
Jimmy quit. He only quit after Jerry shot his mouth off, but he did quit. I don't blame him, but it was ultimately his choice. He could have swallowed his pride and just dealt with Jerry's insanity.

I would've patted the Jimster on the butt.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
joseephuss;2335320 said:

Dan Reeves would have been a good pick, but he already had a job with the Giants.

Wannstedt also already had a job with Chicago, but I did not think he would be a good head coach.

I can't remember exactly when Turner got offered the Skins head coaching job. Did it happen before or after Jerry and Jimmy split? It was all in the same time period.

I did not think Switzer was a good choice, nor did I think it was a horrible choice. Just probably was not the right choice because he was not somebody that was going to be in Dallas long term. I prefer stability if you can get it.
I wanted Reeves to be our coach, but the timing was never right.

joseephuss

Reaction score
windward;2335353 said:
I wanted Reeves to be our coach, but the timing was never right.

Until now. Hire him and slide Phillips over to DC. They have worked together. Just kidding.

I agree. I would have liked Reeves back in Dallas in the mid-90s. Just never worked out timing wise.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Norv would have been ideal, and his legacy as a HC would have been quite different. But he had no idea of the brewing Jimmy-Jerruh rift and took the Wash job well before the split.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
joseephuss;2335320 said:

I think it was 1994

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Butch Davis, but given the signing of Deion the best that we could have hoped for was another playoff victory or two. That team's fate was sealed when they killed the Cap to get Deion and Jerry started thinking he could evaluate talent in the draft.

HighTechDave

7 Years of College Down the Drain
Reaction score
gawd, this was when I was surfin with Mozilla and Windows 3.0 on my 386 computer. Also doing the "Finger", and Compuserve was king, lol....

so old, no one cares. next topic, move along....