Who would you have picked to replace Jimmy Johnson instead of Switzer?

UncleOscar

Reaction score
To replacethe great Jimmy Johnson would have required a coach that commanded the players respect , a hard nose tough guy but still a players coach. One of the few coaches around back then that was available was Dick Vermeil.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
Honestly, after reading Boys will be Boys, the best coach would have been Norv Turner in 1994 for the Cowboys

Troy Aikman loved him. Norv would have eased up a bit from the JJ dictatorship, but still run a professional organized operation and wouldn't have let the inmates run the assylum.

As much as I despise Norv, I think he could have gotten you all another Superbowl with all the talent your 1992-1995 teams had. Probably would have beaten the 49ers in the 1994 NFC title game, had a bit more disciplined of a team in 1996, and may have preserved Troy's career by not allowing him to take so many hits in the mid 90s

joseephuss

Reaction score
aardvark;2335464 said:
I think it was 1994

I know it was 1994, but exactly when. I can't remember the timeline of events that happened in 1994 except that Dallas won SB28 on Jan 30, 1994. After that what happened next? Was it the Jerry and Jimmy split or Norv getting the job in Washington? I think Norv got hired pretty quickly after Dallas winning their second title of the 90s.

Joe Rod;2335469 said:
Butch Davis, but given the signing of Deion the best that we could have hoped for was another playoff victory or two. That team's fate was sealed when they killed the Cap to get Deion and Jerry started thinking he could evaluate talent in the draft.

Butch Davis was not ready for a head coaching job at that time. He had only been the defensive coordinator for one year at that point.

I don't know if Butch is good head coaching material now and he knows more now than he did back then. At least a good NFL head coach. It is difficult to evaluate. He is a very good college head coach. His stint as an NFL head coach was screwed up because he was also the GM. That is a lot of responsibilities to give to one person who had not been the top guy before.

JPM

Reaction score
Houston Nutt !
1397982905_67addca05d.jpg

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
joseephuss;2337390 said:
Butch Davis was not ready for a head coaching job at that time. He had only been the defensive coordinator for one year at that point.

I don't know if Butch is good head coaching material now and he knows more now than he did back then. At least a good NFL head coach. It is difficult to evaluate. He is a very good college head coach. His stint as an NFL head coach was screwed up because he was also the GM. That is a lot of responsibilities to give to one person who had not been the top guy before.

This assessment hurts my feelings :nana:

jcblanco22

Reaction score
aardvark;2335464 said:
I think it was 1994

Norv already had the Commanders job at the time of the infamous owner's meetings at Pleasure Island in Orlando in '94 where the Jimmy/Jerry rift occurred. In fact, Turner was one of the ones sitting at the table with his wife who ignored Jerry's toast was he not?

jcblanco22

Reaction score
Speaking of a Jerry-induced dismissal that set the team back, Gailey should have certainly had at least one more season. I would've liked to have seen his system with Galloway, Ismail, and McKnight at the wideouts instead of the Jason Tucker/Chris Brazzell/Wane McGarity regime we were forced to endure in '99 after Irvin went down.

Having Campo as HC for 3 years truly set the team back, although it eventually netted Parcells.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Joe Rod;2337443 said:
This assessment hurts my feelings :nana:

You are just overly sensitive because of the avatar pic you got stuck with.:p:

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
jcblanco22;2337460 said:
Norv already had the Commanders job at the time of the infamous owner's meetings at Pleasure Island in Orlando in '94 where the Jimmy/Jerry rift occurred. In fact, Turner was one of the ones sitting at the table with his wife who ignored Jerry's toast was he not?

He was at the table. Jerry was furious, and had an impromptu interview (while drunk of course at 3 am) with Ed Werder

They got together the next morning to review all the things Jerry said while drunk, and Jerry, now sobering up, said to go with it

And boom, you had the most awkward news conference in history a few days later and Barry Switzer was in Dallas

Norval was hired by the Commanders on February 7th, 1994