Who Would You Rather Have as the Backup 3T?

817Gill

Reaction score
Crawford or Hill?

I still feel like Crawford gets restructured but can’t be positive. Though he’s the better player right now, his price tag may be too high for a depth guy. He could also be the de facto starter at RDE for his run defense so that factors in to the value.

Hill is cheaper but nothing gives me the hope he’s going to outplay TCraw. I wouldn’t be mad at throwing him on the PS, don’t think any teams will poach him. Yeah it’s a bad look for a 2nd round pick but who cares if our Dline is as good as it can be.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Crawford or Hill?

I still feel like Crawford gets restructured but can’t be positive. Though he’s the better player right now, his price tag may be too high for a depth guy. He could also be the de facto starter at RDE for his run defense so that factors in to the value.

Hill is cheaper but nothing gives me the hope he’s going to outplay TCraw. I wouldn’t be mad at throwing him on the PS, don’t think any teams will poach him. Yeah it’s a bad look for a 2nd round pick but who cares if our Dline is as good as it can be.
I'm not sure Hill is PS eligible

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'd rather Hill be able to handle that position at this point.

But in reality...based on what we've seen thus far? I'd rather have Crawford there. As its currently constructed.....Crawford does bring some depth at DT and end......

We at least have question marks about Aldon Smith, Gregory and Hill. That's 3 of our linemen. Two of them have to get reinstated and 1 of them simply has to show a pulse that he can contribute consistently.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As much as I want Crawford gone, he seems to be better over Hill at this point just due to experience and maturity. This will be Hill's year to show he was worth the 2nd round pick. I still hold out hopes he will.
New coaching staff, new and better scheme. He has had a year to mature and see what it is all about. It can be overwhelming to young players. A year to get stronger as well.
We will not know of course until TC and PS games to see any improvement.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crawford or Hill?

I'm no fan of Crawford (in case anyone wasn't sure) at his price tag or the thought of him at RDE (a terrible, unproductive fit), but if he's going to remain on this roster, his best position is as the backup 3T to Gerald McCoy. It is his best and truly his only effective position. So if they're insistent on bringing Crawford back, he needs a significant paycut and a role as the backup 3T.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm no fan of Crawford (in case anyone wasn't sure) at his price tag or the thought of him at RDE (a terrible, unproductive fit), but if he's going to remain on this roster, his best position is as the backup 3T to Gerald McCoy. It is his best and truly his only effective position. So if they're insistent on bringing Crawford back, he needs a significant paycut and a role as the backup 3T.

I'd like to think with Maranelli gone there will be a handle on Crawford. Hopefully.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd like to think with Maranelli gone there will be a handle on Crawford. Hopefully.

I hope you're right, but until that day comes, I will continue to have reservations.

They had every opportunity to do something with him last year, as well as all kinds of warning signs about his hip issues during the offseason. The team willfully chose to do nothing. and we all saw the results.

So far this year? They continue to do nothing.

Maybe it's actually tied to the player not being healthy enough to pass a physical? I will hope that is the case and it is only a matter of time until something happens. Therein lies my hope. But until something does happen, I'm assuming the worst, based on past history.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I hope they both have an exceptional training camp but as it stands right now I'll take Canadian bacon over turkey bacon.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Crawford or Hill?

there is a lot of hate on Crawford from the fans...why? because they don't think he performs up to their expectations for the contract he has...so the hate has been piling up. he is not an earth mover or a super DT, but he is reliable and good and something the coaches can count on. we drafted Russell Maryland with jimmy, first over all because he thought everybody else was flash and risky and Maryland was reliable...never going to be great, but good/reliable player and that's exactly what he was....

hill is unknown. so far the news on him is not good. has the talent, not the mentality or drive. perhaps he remains a rotational guy only motivated by the next contract....but Crawford provides flexibility, reliability and at this point doesn't cost much. unless we draft a player to replace him long term (kinlaw), then maybe we trade/cut Crawford.....

817Gill

Reaction score
Is there a third option?

What's behind door #3?
I don’t see anyone being signed at 3T who’s gonna be any more than a camp body type. I could see Kinlaw getting drafted if available, but my guess is we don’t draft a DT of any sort until round 4ish. I don’t think anyone acquired beats out Crawford as this might be his best role.

I’m 85% sure Hill and TCraw are the FO’s assumed depth at 3T.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope you're right, but until that day comes, I will continue to have reservations.

They had every opportunity to do something with him last year, as well as all kinds of warning signs about his hip issues during the offseason. The team willfully chose to do nothing. and we all saw the results.

So far this year? They continue to do nothing.

Maybe it's actually tied to the player not being healthy enough to pass a physical? I will hope that is the case and it is only a matter of time until something happens. Therein lies my hope. But until something does happen, I'm assuming the worst, based on past history.

Could they be waiting to see how the draft falls before taking action?
I thought there was a tweet saying Crawford was open to a pay cut as well.

But as you know, I agree with you about Crawford.
And Crawford was cleared off of IR, but yes, it does not mean he is 100%.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Crawford or Hill?.

Still an open question if Crawford returns but I think he does. I think the answer is "both".

Crawford (on a much lower contract) add value in backing up multiple positions. Hill has way too much physical ability to cut lose at this point. Fortunately the team is a position where neither guy will be starting.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t see anyone being signed at 3T who’s gonna be any more than a camp body type. I could see Kinlaw getting drafted if available, but my guess is we don’t draft a DT of any sort until round 4ish. I don’t think anyone acquired beats out Crawford as this might be hit best role.

I’m 85% sure Hill and TCraw are the FO’s assumed depth at 3T.

DT in the 3rd, a guy to look at is Devon Hamilton out of Ohio State. Go DB's in the 1st 2 rounds, then DT. However I have a feeling they will go OL.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could they be waiting to see how the draft falls before taking action?

Anything is possible I suppose.

I thought there was a tweet saying Crawford was open to a pay cut as well.

No, you're right, there was. I'm just not sure that he'd be open to the pay cut I think they should give him!

But as you know, I agree with you about Crawford.
And Crawford was cleared off of IR, but yes, it does not mean he is 100%.

I'm trying to work on being more patient, but it's tough based on prior results.

817Gill

Reaction score
Still an open question if Crawford returns but I think he does. I think the answer is "both".

Crawford (on a much lower contract) add value in backing up multiple positions. Hill has way too much physical ability to cut lose at this point. Fortunately the team is a position where neither guy will be starting.
I see ya. Mike McCarthy is on record saying he wants 10DL with 4 DT’s and 6 pass rushers. McCoy and Poe start and Woods is basically guaranteed to be the backup 1T. This leaves only 1 DT roster spot.

Yeah they could circumvent that by designating Crawford an end, but who will we be sacrificing in the process? If Randy and Aldon are reinstated and can play, you basically lock in 5 DE’s (RG, Aldon, Lawrence, Crawford, Armstrong). Then you got Jelks/Jackson/Draft Pick fighting over 1 spot. Again, if Hill doesn’t show more than them, I’m not willing to cut any of those DE’s for Trystan. I would much rather move Crawford to a DT designation, while keeping 2 of Jackson/Jelks/Draftee. In this scenario, my roster goes:

DE: DLaw, Armstrong, Gregory, Smith, Jackson, Jelks
DT: Poe, McCoy, Woods, Crawford