Twitter: Who would you steal?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brady? Rodgers? Luck?
This is an easy one. We are a descent QB away. Patrick Mahomes is going to be a generational talent. He has easily understood the complexity of NFL secondary play unlike Dak who struggles reading NFL defenses. Mahomes has elite arm talent. He quickly identifies 1 on 1 coverage and attacks it unlike Dak. He has the ability to drive the ball into tight windows unlike Dak. Dak is the weakest link.
It says NOT a QB...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This isn't about stealing the best player, it's about filling the weakest link to make the greatest difference. We already have an imposing pass rush, so I don't think Aaron Donald would make the greatest impact my steeling one player. I think that would be accomplished by targeting a safety where we are greatly underserved.
That's like drafting for need.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This popped up and thought it was a good topic. The player that comes to mind for me is very obvious but not pictured above. And he would weaken a NFC contender

Thoughts?

I like how this question says not a QB...I know that upset a lot of people otherwise we were going to have a bunch of QB names lol.

Its a lot harder question than I thought initially. I guess Aaron Donald would have to be the guy. After that I'd want Von Miller or Khalil Mack. I'll lead towards Khalil Mack.

It depends, "what do steal mean?"

The ramifications of adding the player is significant to the question.

If money was not an issue, then:
Aaron Donald
Khalil Mack

If money is taken into account then it's probably a player from the 2018 or 2019 draft.
  • Best position value probably DL (Ed Oliver, Quinnen Williams, Nick Bosa, Bradley Chubb).
  • D.James would be fun but elite SS not as valuable as elite DL.
  • OT allows trading La'el for a pick and cap space. Could play LT when Tyron misses games.
  • TE Hockenson would be interesting.
Reasoning and Details
Realistically they wouldn't pay both Khalil Mack and DLaw. I would take Mack over DLaw and be fine paying the difference but if they can't realistically keep both then replacing DL with KM wouldn't be as big of and impact as adding a player that does not push another top player off the roster.

They could pay Donald and it would only push Crawford off the roster. They still need a young player like Hill because Donald would not play 100% of snaps.

Derwin James is affordable (4 years, 12M plus 5th year option). He has 4 years to free agency. He plays SS and fills a need; however, SS does not he the same value as some other positions.

A DL from the 2019 draft top 10 like Ed Oliver or Bosa would come with the full 5 years on their rookie deal but they are unproven at this point.

The TE Hockenson would be interesting but other positions cost more in free agency and TEs rarely go top 5 in the draft like DL, CB, etc..9

Offense vs Defense
Having an overwhelming offense might be better than just filling a weak link (Safety) on defense.

If there was a young Erik Williams available I would take that option especially if it was a player that could move to LT if Tyron is out with injury.

OT Ryan Ramczyk
3 years remaining of 5 year rookie deal.
Played LT when All Pro Armstead was injured.
Played RT otherwise.
All Pro in 2018.
All Rookie team in 2017.

With Ramczyk they could trade La'el Collins and free up his 6.5M salary to spend on another position.

WR
They could play 3 WR sets full time like the Rams. Julio Jones with 1 of Jones, Cooper or Gallup playing the slot because slot WR would be a full time position.

Like the Khalil Mack example realistically it would be too expensive to pay Jones and Cooper. JuJu Smith Schuster would be nice but he only has 2 years remaining on his rookie deal.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Next season:
Donald, Miller, Odell, or Ramsey

Next year and beyond:
Kittle, Michael Thomas, James, Rankins, Vea, or Quenton Nelson

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
He is the weakest link when you realise the amount of cap space relative to his talent level. You pay Dak 30 MIll a year and we will be Seatle minus a real QB.

So you're saying he's been our strongest link the last three years?

Yeah we might be Seattle, only our edge rushers, CBs, RB, Oline, WRs are all definitely better. But other than that the exact same

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
As anyone who was around here during the pre-draft discussions for the 2014 draft could guess: I would take Aaron Donald. If any DT was ever made for Marinelli’s defense... Donald would be it.

With him as the 3 and Hill as the 1... I can only imagine what the inside pressure would be on QB’s. The backups of Collins and Woods would be good enough to start on many 43 teams.

The passer certainly wouldn’t be able to step up in the pocket at all, and Lawrence and Quinn would have a blast just turning the edge and seeing the QB just sitting there.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
If it couldn’t be Donald for some reason, I’d think long and hard about Q. Nelson. He fits exactly the type of team Dallas wants to be: Physical, tough and aggressive. He helped change the entire OL there in Indy. Heck, that whole offense kind of took on that tough, mean persona.

I’d love to have him in Dallas.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
You cannot win in this league without middle pressure. Make no mistake about that. Patriots prove that destroyed Mahomes with middle pressure. We finally have a defensive tackle with rotation. I can't wait for this year's football

Yup...my thinking too. We need that monster in the middle that teams need to account for...David Irving was that guy. Not sure we have that guy anymore. Like Trysten Hill...but that's a lot to ask from a rookie.

Give me this guy...He's a game wrecker

092216-ChrisJones-tn.jpg

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yup...my thinking too. We need that monster in the middle that teams need to account for...David Irving was that guy. Not sure we have that guy anymore. Like Trysten Hill...but that's a lot to ask from a rookie.

Give me this guy...He's a game wrecker

092216-ChrisJones-tn.jpg
I've been begging for Four Seasons. On the old Cowboys forum we said it so much the reporters asked what Crawford isn't good enough. No he's a run-stopper he's my a quarterback Destroyer

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Interior DL - Aaron Donald, Chris Jones, Fletcher Cox

OL - Q. Nelson, Lane Johnson

S - Harrison Smith, Derwin James, Devin McCourty, (I could keep going)

John813

Reaction score
In the name of adding someone that can fit into our soon to be cap "crunch", I'm looking at players that are still on their ELC:

Nominations:
1. Derwin James: Drafted in 2018, have rights over him for 4 years, and he's already a stud.
2. Marshon Lattimore: Drafted in 2017, would have rights over him for 3 years. Would make the transition from Jones "cheap" and easy.
3. Myles Garrett: Drafted in 2017, and had 13.5 sacks last year. 3 years left on ELC. Have the thought process he could be a stud as a RDE in a 4-3.

Probably go with James, due to the upgrade he would bring, but it;s tough between him and Garrett.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The thread said "steal" so I'm not getting into all the roster churn, financial implications but rather who is the best player we can add to the talent we already have. Best defensive player in the league and legit contender for best player period. The one, the only, Aaron Donald.