Who's the best pass rusher in the NFL

shabazz

Reaction score
Watt is a game wrecker and singlehandedly won two games for the Squeelers

Hes the benchmark

plasticman

Reaction score
Best pass rusher?

The common method would be to use sacks as the main, and even only, criteria.

However. there are many other methods by which a pass rusher could benefit his team.

I took the list of all pass rushers with 4 or more sacks (59 players) and graded them on a point system:

Sacks 5
Solo tackles 1
Assist tackles 1/2
TFL 3
QB hits 2
Forced fumbles 5
Recovered fumbles 2
INT's 5

Here are the top ten:

Rank --- Player--- Points
1 T.J. Watt 167
2 Maxx Crosby 165
3 Danielle Hunter 156
4 Myles Garrett 141.5
5 Micah Parsons 138
6 Khalil Mack 127
7 Josh Allen 124.5
8 Montez Sweat 123
9 Carl Granderson 118.5
10 Trey Hendrickson 116.5

T.J. Watt with 9.5 sacks, 8 tackles for a loss, 18 QB hits, 3 forced fumbles, 2 recovered fumbles including 1 for a TD, 1 INT for a TD, 22 combined tackle, and 6 passes defended.

The Natural

Reaction score
Whoever doesn’t constantly duck the opposing team’s best tackle.

Motorola

Reaction score
Food for thought:

If Dallas drafted Watt, would Parson have been drafted here? :huh:
I don’t see why not, we didn’t really draft Parsons as a rusher, even if we did, it would give us two beasts.
I meant it in a different sense. If Dallas had TJ instead of Taco, the season’s leading up to Micah might have gone differently. The draft picks in each round would probably be quite different. Just saying Parsons might not have been available.
The Cowboys drafted 12th in 2021 primarily because they lost their starting QB 5 games into the 2020 season, finishing 6 -10.
Would Watts on that historically bad Cowboys defense played a little better - helping get one maybe two more wins - keeping the team out of picking 12th the following year - and not in a position to pick Parsons?

Last edited:

STREAK84

Reaction score
I wonder how many pass rush opportunities Micah has had compared to those other guys.

DuceizBak

Reaction score
I think TJ Watt and Myles Garrett are in a tier of their own.
Nick Bosa/ Parsons/ Crosby a slight bit below that

HanD

Reaction score
In addition to double team rate, Micah is number 1 in pass rush win rate. Closely followed by Myles Garrett and not close after those two.

Creeper

Reaction score
Micah plays off ball more than any of these other guys. Garrett and Crosby line up as DE almost every play. Watt probably more than Micah.

Still Micah shows up among the leaders. And honestly, I think Micah is double teamed more than 30% of the time. I wonder if this includes plays where he is off ball or just when he lines up as an edge rusher.

Aftershock

Reaction score
Right now its Maxx Crosby and it's not even close. Followed closely by Garrett and Watt, and then Parsons

The former 3 players I mentioned above have size on their side. Parsons is a bit under-sized to be a true 4-3 EDGE, I think he would greatly benefit from a 3-4 system like TJ Watt has.