Carolina Panthers
Cincinnati Bengals
Arizona Cardinals

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Harrington just does not have IT.

Harrington reminds me alot of Chad Hutchinson.

Not with the fumbles and so forth, but just the way he carries himself. There just seems to be more false bravado and not enough legitimate leadership. I have also seem the same emotionalism when things don't go right. Upstairs, he doesn't have IT.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Harrington reminds me alot of Chad Hutchinson.

Not with the fumbles and so forth, but just the way he carries himself. There just seems to be more false bravado and not enough legitimate leadership. I have also seem the same emotionalism when things don't go right. Upstairs, he doesn't have IT.

That's interesting. I was thinking to myself, Quincy Carter.

SmellsLikeTuna

Reaction score
Eskimo said:
In terms of non-playoff teams from last year, I expect good things from:

KC Chiefs
Carolina Panthers
Cincinnati Bengals
Arizona Cardinals

Finally, someone nailed it. The Chiefs will be a MAJOR contender in the AFC next year. The offense will be as effective as ever, Holmes healthy and Johnson has earned himself some playing time. Morton was the only loss, and that's not much of a loss.

and the defense got a nice injection of talent: Pat Surtain, Kendrell Bell, Derrick Johnson and Sammy Knight.

ravidubey

Reaction score
THUMPER said:
ABQ is dead-on about the Panthers, IMO, when healthy, they are better than the Eagles.
I can definitely see Carolina in the SB in 2005 after beating Dallas in the NFC Championship game. :)
Key additions:
Smith, Stephen Davis, Jenkins, Wahle, Lucas, Thomas Davis.

Key Losses:
Muhammad, Tylski, Willig

I just don't see the same magic that took them to the Superbowl in 2003. I'll run the traditional number of 5 reasons by you all:

Reason 1) Muhammad. Colbert is no Muhammad-- not by a long way and Muhsin is a big, big loss. He and Smith were KEY ingredients during their playoff run. How many games were outright won because Delhomme chucked a desperation pass in either of these guys' directions? Especially Muhammad! How can you lose production that led the NFL?

Reason 2) Offensive Line. They are very average on the right side of the OL, so without a passing game to divert attention their running game will suffer. We all saw what a weak right side did to Dallas last year.

Reason 3) Injury. Davis, Smith, and Jenkins, also each key contributers during their run, have much to prove as ALL are returning from season-ending injuries. Davis is old, Smith is a speed-guy recovering from a leg injury, and Jenkins' injury was very severe and late in being diagnosed-- all issues to watch. Deshaun Foster might be considered a Mid Atlantic version of Fred Taylor when it comes to injuries.

Reason 4) Flawed leaders. Dellhomme and Morgan are somewhat overrated players who can not make up for the deficiencies of others even though people expect them to do this. Leaders must elevate their teammates.

Reason 5) Competition. When Carolina went to the Superbowl two seasons ago, Tampa was in a post Superbowl slump, Atlanta was missing Michael Vick, and New Orleans was, well, New Orleans. This year Carolina faces a rejuventated Tampa team with Griese, Williams, Clayton, and Galloway all healthy; Atlanta is still a playoff contender, and New Orleans, while still New Orleans is as desperate for the playoffs as any in the NFL given it's the last chances for probably both Aaron Brooks and Jim Haslett.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Key additions:
Smith, Stephen Davis, Jenkins, Wahle, Lucas, Thomas Davis.

Key Losses:
Muhammad, Tylski, Willig

I just don't see the same magic that took them to the Superbowl in 2003. I'll run the traditional number of 5 reasons by you all:

Reason 1) Muhammad. Colbert is no Muhammad-- not by a long way and Muhsin is a big, big loss. He and Smith were KEY ingredients during their playoff run. How many games were outright won because Delhomme chucked a desperation pass in either of these guys' directions? Especially Muhammad! How can you lose production that led the NFL?

Reason 2) Offensive Line. They are very average on the right side of the OL, so without a passing game to divert attention their running game will suffer. We all saw what a weak right side did to Dallas last year.

Reason 3) Injury. Davis, Smith, and Jenkins, also each key contributers during their run, have much to prove as ALL are returning from season-ending injuries. Davis is old, Smith is a speed-guy recovering from a leg injury, and Jenkins' injury was very severe and late in being diagnosed-- all issues to watch. Deshaun Foster might be considered a Mid Atlantic version of Fred Taylor when it comes to injuries.

Reason 4) Flawed leaders. Dellhomme and Morgan are somewhat overrated players who can not make up for the deficiencies of others even though people expect them to do this. Leaders must elevate their teammates.

Reason 5) Competition. When Carolina went to the Superbowl two seasons ago, Tampa was in a post Superbowl slump, Atlanta was missing Michael Vick, and New Orleans was, well, New Orleans. This year Carolina faces a rejuventated Tampa team with Griese, Williams, Clayton, and Galloway all healthy; Atlanta is still a playoff contender, and New Orleans, while still New Orleans is as desperate for the playoffs as any in the NFL given it's the last chances for probably both Aaron Brooks and Jim Haslett.

All of the things you just listed can be applied to any team in the NFL on any given season. Carolina, IMO, has as good a chance as anybody and probably better then most.

dallasblue05

Reaction score
I know this will sound crazy, but I have a sneaking suspision that the Texans will surprise a lot of people this year. They have improved dramitically in each of their last 3 seasons (4-12, 5-11, 7-9), and it wouldnt surprise me if they came out of this year with maybe a 9-7 record, or even 10-6. I dont see David Carr slowing down any time soon, and they got a couple good picks in the draft. They arent necessarily a team you'd worry about contending, but I think they will be fun to watch. Not to mention, as a team, they never give up; that can be a dangerous advantage sometimes.

ps-My cousin is their punter. Field position is key.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Dallas will suprise people by not making the playoffs. Thats right I do not think we make the playoffs this year in fact I expect an 8-8 or 7-9 season.

I think the dline is two small for the 3-4; the two main WR are old and the 3rd wr is an underachiver with a bum shoulder and I think bledose is a washed up overrated QB

That is the simple side of it; I think we are being over touted as a playoff team.

jay cee

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
It's interesting. Harrington's numbers last year, while not spectacular by any means, were not all that bad. His QB rating was 77.5. Saddly, that's better then our own QB last year. 19 TDs and 12 INTs was also better. I'm not sure how much improvement Harrington will make but I suspect it will come. Accuracy is definatly an issue with this player but that's not uncommen in a young QB trying to play in a WCO. He has good feet so really, it's a matter of him getting the footwork down IMO. That is so big in that offense. He can throw the ball accuratly. I saw him do this in a pro style offense while at Oregan. I think he just needs to get more snaps. The talent around him is phanominal (sp?) but it's also young. They too are learning that offense as they go. It's going to be real interesting to see how this kid progresses. I think this could be a break out year for him.
I agree ABQ. I would not be surprised to see Harrington improve on all of those numbers this season. The guy is going into his 4th season, and he has shown improvement in each of the last two seasons.

I think too many fans and media guys write players off to quickly, if they don't come out playing like a veteran star right off the bat.

kartr

Reaction score
Alexander said:
QB ratings don't factor in poor decisions or errant throws.

Make no mistake, Harrington was one of the most ineffective QBs in the conference last year.

Exactly. Bledsoe does the same things as Harrington when under pressure after 12 years in the league and so did Vinny. We lost 4-5 close games because of Vinny's late game mistakes. Even Brian Griese, who has a high completion percentage and qb rating does the same things, throws to the wrong team late in games. I see Harrington as just a younger version of these qb's. UNDERACHIEVER.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I think the QB rating is a fundamentally flawed statistic as it seems to place too much emphasis on completion percentage and not enough on yards per attempt. Basically, QB's are over-rewarded for not taking chances down the field and dumping the ball off. You can often find that QB's who had really good QB ratings often did not play in offenses that had great passing attacks. Brian Griese was the NFL's top passer last season in QB Rating in Gruden's WCO, but Tampa's passing offense was ranked just ahead of Dallas at #14 in the NFL in total passing yards.

The coaching staff in Detroit has made no secret that they want Harrington him to be more confident and throw the ball down the field more.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I would say Arizona, but I just can't see Warner not falling apart.

I'm with totally with you guys on Carolina. Besides getting healthy again, they added Ken Lucas and Thomas Davis. That defense is going to be outrageous.

Since a lot of the good names have already been picked (would Jax count as a surprise?) I'll go with the Bengals. IMO Palmer is going to be a good one, and Marvin Lewis will get that defense shored up.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
ravidubey said:

1) Muhsin Muhammad ain't no spring chicken. he had a great year last season but it was only his 3rd time as a 1000-yard receiver in a NINE YEAR career.

the guy that really scares me is Steve Smith. his return from injury should more than offset the loss of Muhammad.

the addition of reliable, if unspectacular, TE Freddie Jones should help some, too.

2) adding Mark Wahle would improve any offensive line. Carolina's no exception. with Davis and Foster missing so much time due to injury - it really put the burden on their line to hold up in the passing game. they prolly won't have that problem this season. they drafted RB Erik Shelton. that's a pretty daunting and physical platoon of backs in my estimation. they just might pound the crap out of opponents on the ground.

i'll really be shocked if Carolina doesn't more closely resemble that Superbowl team than the MASH unit they fielded last season. and don't forget they still made a admirable run at the playoffs despite starting in a deep hole.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
One from each division.

NFC East...Dallas
NFC North...Detroit
NFC South...Tampa Bay
NFC West...Arizona

AFC East...Buffalo
AFC North...Cincinnati
AFC South...Tennessee
AFC West...Oakland

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Kangaroo said:
Dallas will suprise people by not making the playoffs. Thats right I do not think we make the playoffs this year in fact I expect an 8-8 or 7-9 season.

I think the dline is two small for the 3-4; the two main WR are old and the 3rd wr is an underachiver with a bum shoulder and I think bledose is a washed up overrated QB

That is the simple side of it; I think we are being over touted as a playoff team.

I agree...It never even accured to me (Dallas=playoffs)till I started to read some of the post draft posts here...

While I am thrilled at some of the talents we are drafting...I am equally dishearten by the need to bring in so many FA's who are over 30

I think Bill has it wrong in FA...it should be used to get young potential players or if a playoff team to fill in that last gap...

not spent on guys with no upside or on the downside of their careers...i.e.
Anderson, George, Wiley, Young, that little wr name escapes me, Key, Glenn, Glenn, obog, testy, rivera, bledsoe, then there were others for just a little while like murrell, Eason,

some of those guys could play but not for long or so well and others were complete duds