CFZ Whose Draft Board do you Trust? McClay’s, the Talking Heads, or Yours?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You make a solid point, but on the other hand it’s a bit of a straw man. You would expect that people who study things year around would generally speaking be better at what they do than an average everyday fan like you and me.

On the other hand old average Joe fan, (me) wasn’t very high on the Taco pick or the Hill pick. I know little of nothing, but it wouldn’t have been that big of a decision for me to make on Watt v. Taco. Know nothing me would have drafted Watt.

I would also not have drafted Escobar. And Creed Humphrey would be the center for the Dallas Cowboys and Joseph would be rapping right now for another team.

The “powers that be” are not all knowing for the Cowboys. It seems like when they overthink things, reach, or appease a coach they get into trouble, Sometimes the average Joe is right.

I didn’t like the 2009 draft either. Like I said, I’m an average Joe but sometimes an average Joe is right and the people who do it for a living are wrong.
Good points all.

The truth is, this could be a good draft or a bad draft, none of us know yet. I would be surprised if this turns into a 2009 or 200-02 type draft where Jerry just played fantasy football and lacked Will McClay and the scouting structure he has brought to this FO.

The bottom line of all drafts for me is what do they translate to with playoff wins? If this team wins a bunch of playoff games in the next few years, it was a good draft. If we get the same results we’ve been getting the last 28 seasons, it certainly won‘t be any kind of success.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
McClay's, but only bc I don't put in the effort I did in year past :flagwave:

Serious question: why aren't the "experts" NFL GMs or scouting dept leads?

jdnoyes

Reaction score
That could be fun/funny…but the reason I don’t like the idea is having more discussions with “see I was right” comments is that IMO it would only serve to heat up the rhetoric on this forum. We already have way too many “gurus” on here who scoreboard how often they are “right”.
True, but we also have a lot of folks who claim to be scouting gurus that this might shut up. I remember when we drafted Parsons there were a lot of people were very vocal about how we screwed it up, but not many of them have the gumption to say I was wrong. My idea would be a public record year after year. Everyone can get lucky once but several years of consistency might show us who on this board can back up their bluster

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Something was off this year though. In recent years, the final boards for the public are pretty darn close to where picks were chosen. Sure, there are always outliers.

This year, there seemed to be a lot of wide gaps between consensus rankings and actual results.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
The annual screaming based on who we just drafted is nothing new. When we as fans don’t see our pet cat coming to Big D after the draft, the disappointment oozes on this forum. (I was hoping we would land Zach Charbonnet for example) Last night’s response to the Cowboys 2nd and 3rd round picks was typical of us as fans- judging our picks based on our own analysis or some other “expert” at ESPN, etc.

But serious question here: Whose draft board are you going to trust? Will McClay’s, Mel Kiper’s…or yours? Give me Will McClay every time.

Truth is, all the pre-draft hype of individual players by the media talking heads is not always close to what the real scouts think about those same players. The last 25 years of “Mel Kiper‘s Greatest Hits” must also include the incredible amount of misjudging of talent he and guys like Todd McShay and other draft gurus so often make.

So if the Cowboys followed their own draft board as they have in recent years, we should wait before declaring this draft a dud. It always takes 2-3 years to judge a draft anyway. IMO, this front office did a good enough job leading up to the draft, they could do exactly what they should do- follow Will McClay’s board.
There's not enough info. I have not had the opportunity to call the shots for a draft. Until that happens I cannot answer the question you ask.

ESisback

Reaction score
McClay’s—he knows what he wants, he knows details, and it’s his job.

The talking heads manufacture drama for click$, and too many contrarians posing as fans. Their #1 priority is being “right” on the internet.

Momanpr100

Reaction score
serious question..... how much do you know about McClay's "Draft board?" How much do you know about the interactions between the entire front office in regards to selection of players?
And it's also about knowing all other 31 teams board and knowing what they need. It's a all year process with the scouts, fans have no idea.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The annual screaming based on who we just drafted is nothing new. When we as fans don’t see our pet cat coming to Big D after the draft, the disappointment oozes on this forum. (I was hoping we would land Zach Charbonnet for example) Last night’s response to the Cowboys 2nd and 3rd round picks was typical of us as fans- judging our picks based on our own analysis or some other “expert” at ESPN, etc.

But serious question here: Whose draft board are you going to trust? Will McClay’s, Mel Kiper’s…or yours? Give me Will McClay every time.

Truth is, all the pre-draft hype of individual players by the media talking heads is not always close to what the real scouts think about those same players. The last 25 years of “Mel Kiper‘s Greatest Hits” must also include the incredible amount of misjudging of talent he and guys like Todd McShay and other draft gurus so often make.

So if the Cowboys followed their own draft board as they have in recent years, we should wait before declaring this draft a dud. It always takes 2-3 years to judge a draft anyway. IMO, this front office did a good enough job leading up to the draft, they could do exactly what they should do- follow Will McClay’s board.
I don’t trust any of them. Especially any posted here in CZ land.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rick Gossage, DMN and Luksa’s replacement on the HOF committee, was one I used to follow and the unusual thing about is he admitted he does not watch or follow college ball.

Instead he spends his time talking to GM’s about their rankings, not boards but overall rankings, and then makes a Top 100 list not a mock. It was correct at an 80%+ rate over the years.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
And it's also about knowing all other 31 teams board and knowing what they need. It's a all year process with the scouts, fans have no idea.
My main point was that we have no idea who in the front office is doing exactly what. So asking us fans who we trust more is foolish. People in here always want to blame Jerry for anything that goes wrong and give McClay credit for any pick that hits. Pretty good for McClay.... I get all the credit and none of the blame.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
You make a solid point, but on the other hand it’s a bit of a straw man. You would expect that people who study things year around would generally speaking be better at what they do than an average everyday fan like you and me.

On the other hand old average Joe fan, (me) wasn’t very high on the Taco pick or the Hill pick. I know little of nothing, but it wouldn’t have been that big of a decision for me to make on Watt v. Taco. Know nothing me would have drafted Watt.

I would also not have drafted Escobar. And Creed Humphrey would be the center for the Dallas Cowboys and Joseph would be rapping right now for another team.

The “powers that be” are not all knowing for the Cowboys. It seems like when they overthink things, reach, or appease a coach they get into trouble, Sometimes the average Joe is right.

I didn’t like the 2009 draft either. Like I said, I’m an average Joe but sometimes an average Joe is right and the people who do it for a living are wrong.
well when the avg Joe doesnt actually make picks, or have to worry about the order, or trades... sure the avg Joe is going to be right at times.
BUT, if you do not understand how much luck is involved in the draft I think you are kidding yourself.

If last year's draft were held today, Mr. Irrelevant, Brock Purdy would be a first rd pick.... maybe even top 10.... Maybe even number 1.

For every team that hits big on a player... like drafting Travis Kelce in rd 4 or whenever it was he went, there are 20 other teams that had BUST picks taken in rd 1, 2 and 3..... or lets say out of the 96 players taken in Rds 1,2, and 3..... 70 of them end up being busts. So in reality, there are more crappy picks than successful ones..... LUCK!

Big_D

Reaction score
The fans who think their drafts are better are funny. They're not coaching or preparing them. Some just think you can move a player from any team and everything would be exactly the same statistically speaking. Interchangeable from one team to the next without accounting for anything but a pet cat preference.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
My main point was that we have no idea who in the front office is doing exactly what. So asking us fans who we trust more is foolish. People in here always want to blame Jerry for anything that goes wrong and give McClay credit for any pick that hits. Pretty good for McClay.... I get all the credit and none of the blame.
Yep

All Will does is present the potential prospects . He’s not setting the tone for priority needs for the team. A scouts job is not team building . That’s on the GM and coaching staff. The scouting department just finds talent for them to choose from.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
well when the avg Joe doesnt actually make picks, or have to worry about the order, or trades... sure the avg Joe is going to be right at times.
BUT, if you do not understand how much luck is involved in the draft I think you are kidding yourself.

If last year's draft were held today, Mr. Irrelevant, Brock Purdy would be a first rd pick.... maybe even top 10.... Maybe even number 1.

For every team that hits big on a player... like drafting Travis Kelce in rd 4 or whenever it was he went, there are 20 other teams that had BUST picks taken in rd 1, 2 and 3..... or lets say out of the 96 players taken in Rds 1,2, and 3..... 70 of them end up being busts. So in reality, there are more crappy picks than successful ones..... LUCK!
There is much truth to the “ luck” factor. But there’s many circumstances and situations which factor in.

It’s not all one big crap roll. And it’s obviously not a perfect science. Many players do bust for many reasons unforeseen .

But many others don’t fulfill their potential for many reasons like being on a crappy team , better player beats them out, injuries, etc. Goes back to circumstances and situations.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Yep

All Will does is present the potential prospects . He’s not setting the tone for priority needs for the team. A scouts job is not team building . That’s on the GM and coaching staff. The scouting department just finds talent for them to choose from.
well... go listen to Mike Fishers youtube channel from his 6pm Texas time show. He plays an actual audio clip from inside the draft room when the team is on the clock with 2 minutes left.... They ask Will what would he do and tells them and bam, they immediately say they are doing as Will said... so much for Jerry just does whatever he wants.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
well... go listen to Mike Fishers youtube channel from his 6pm Texas time show. He plays an actual audio clip from inside the draft room when the team is on the clock with 2 minutes left.... They ask Will what would he do and tells them and bam, they immediately say they are doing as Will said... so much for Jerry just does whatever he wants.
I’ve never been one who thought Jethro did what he wants. As he doesn’t really know. He has to listen to others. Then it’s just a matter of who he listens to.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I’m not doubting the players I’m just doubting their value.

I’m sold on Overshown because of what he does against Modern day football teams.

Mazi Smith and Schoonmaker kind of scream that Dallas doesn’t understand todays game..

But..

They both are off the charts great athletes so I do like that.
One other factor that factors in......we had the 26th and 58th picks. 4 TEs were picked ahead of us, 1 in the 1st, and 3 in the 2nd. They felt we needed a TE so they did what they had to do. Not only are our 1st 2 picks great athletes like you said, but despite not picking till #26 and 58, they were still both very good picks IMO.