Why are people so upset about Jeff Heath

RoboQB

Reaction score
True, most fans here cant see what the safetys are doing on most plays, so I dont get the criticism of heath , except it all
started in his rookie year when he had to start due to real starter being hurt.
I remember fans mad about him not covering or stopping calvin harris in the lions game lol , like other could stop him or cover him.
So he became a whipping boy his rookie season, and it has just never stopped.

I think he is fairly good, nobody is perfect.
And plenty of other players on this team mess up at times too.

I'm not sure why Brandon Carr gets a pass on his performance in this game.
He was paid to be the top corner on the team. Calvin Johnson treated him
like a dad teaching his son a life lesson... lol.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Because there always has to be a player that gets shot at. When, if ever, has there not been this player? Going back to Flozell being in the PB and being hated on for his false starts. Doug Free got his turn in the barrel.

How many posters here really watch the play of the S on every D play? We mostly see the plays where he was late because of the angle he took on a replay. He is not a great S or close to being the best player on the D but he is not a bad player or he wouldn't be the starter on the team.

I am not aware of any poster here having the experience or qualifications to grade players at the NFL level and some that laud Richard as the second coming are questioning the man in charge of that secondary. And while some feel Iloka is there to take Heath's job, I am wait and see on that.

Posters need to take some of that "Rico Love" and give it to Heath. That's the biggest joke on this forum. The guy cannot remember where to line up from the sideline to the field?

I like Heath. He's a much better player than old fan favorite Bill Bates. I wonder if fans would like him more if he was less talented.

The issue with Heath is he is just "good enough", but not great at his position. I don't have any problem with those who want an upgrade at the position. I would like an upgrade at both safety positions, and I'm not really sold on Xavier Woods just yet. But I don't despise either player.

One thing I like about Heath is his speed. He's one of the fastest players on the team, which helps make up for some of his other deficiencies. He has recovery speed. And of course, who can forget his game saving play against Oakland in 2017?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People hate on Heath mostly because he's lucky enough to be a whipping boy. And he's a whipping boy because they stupidly left him isolated on Calvin Johnson in DET his rookie season and he got burned even though he was generally in good position. Because it was Megatron.

Sure, he can be upgraded. He's a really good athlete and he plays with heart. He's a mediocre S on a pretty good defense. He stays healthy. I think he probably beats out Iloka, though nobody seems to want to hear that. They'll end up playing a healthy rotation and getting them all snaps. And hopefully Woods takes a big step forward...it seems like Richard is counting on that, if the draft day stories of him advocating taking the 3 tech over Thornhill because he trusts Xavier Woods are true.

Hadenough

Reaction score
He already got replaced as a starter when we signed George Iloka
Mehhhh I will believe it when I see it! Heath has actual done some good things to win games. I have a feeling when the Dallas coaches see how slow IIoka is he will be bringing Heath cups of Gatorade during practice. The problem with Heath revolves more in the coaches ask him to do the job of two players and move him around all the time. Kinda reminds me of Byron before Richards got here.
Besides Heath basically shut down one of the best RBs in the league in Barkley. Barkely had one 60 yd run and then the rest of the game was held to 40 yds. Sure Heath got run over once but how many times did Heath nail that dude in his knees in the backfield. Heath running him down from behind on that long run was pretty impressive show of speed. Mr IIoka would of been 15 yds behind Barkley.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
He already got replaced as a starter when we signed George Iloka.

There is even the possibility he doesnt make the 53 if cheaper backup options like Wilson, Frazier and/or Thompson show they are worthy of a roster spot
every year since i've been around long ago and even back in the "bronco babe" days - there's a handful of people - not always the same - who must hate someone.

i've given up listening to this crowd.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Other than Dak, Zeke, T-Smith, Zach, Fredbeard, Jaylon, LVE, and D-Law, our entire roster seems to consist of nothing but rotational and/or position-flex players.

What about Cooper, Gallup, Collins, Awuzie and Jones? Those aren’t guys that will be used in a rotation or as flex players. Whoever ends up starting at LG won’t rotate either, nor do I think Xavier Woods will.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
He already got replaced as a starter when we signed George Iloka.

There is even the possibility he doesnt make the 53 if cheaper backup options like Wilson, Frazier and/or Thompson show they are worthy of a roster spot

Some folks are really going to be upset when none of that turns out to be true. :muttley:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I like Heath. He's a much better player than old fan favorite Bill Bates. I wonder if fans would like him more if he was less talented.

The issue with Heath is he is just "good enough", but not great at his position. I don't have any problem with those who want an upgrade at the position. I would like an upgrade at both safety positions, and I'm not really sold on Xavier Woods just yet. But I don't despise either player.

One thing I like about Heath is his speed. He's one of the fastest players on the team, which helps make up for some of his other deficiencies. He has recovery speed. And of course, who can forget his game saving play against Oakland in 2017?
People hate on Heath mostly because he's lucky enough to be a whipping boy. And he's a whipping boy because they stupidly left him isolated on Calvin Johnson in DET his rookie season and he got burned even though he was generally in good position. Because it was Megatron.

Sure, he can be upgraded. He's a really good athlete and he plays with heart. He's a mediocre S on a pretty good defense. He stays healthy. I think he probably beats out Iloka, though nobody seems to want to hear that. They'll end up playing a healthy rotation and getting them all snaps. And hopefully Woods takes a big step forward...it seems like Richard is counting on that, if the draft day stories of him advocating taking the 3 tech over Thornhill because he trusts Xavier Woods are true.
Two very reasonable descriptions

Heath is frustrating because he is on the field too much and his weaknesses get exposed.... he takes bad angles and get beat by top WRs, but most Safeties do when left alone..... Heath does make some big plays and is in the right place on a few INTs

His play to save the OAK and force Carr out of bounds was awesome...... he is like Cole Beasley ... they are good but just not good enough but when Cole made that catch against NY I swore to never bad mouth him again

I would like to see Heath in Nickel and Dime more covering TEs and RBs and on STs but not as the FS..... hopefully Woods can take over for good

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

Heath is frustrating because he is on the field too much and his weaknesses get exposed.... he takes bad angles and get beat by top WRs, but most Safeties do when left alone..... Heath does make some big plays and is in the right place on a few INTs

His play to save the OAK and force Carr out of bounds was awesome...... he is like Cole Beasley ... they are good but just not good enough but when Cole made that catch against NY I swore to never bad mouth him again

I would like to see Heath in Nickel and Dime more covering TEs and RBs and on STs but not as the FS..... hopefully Woods can take over for good
Spot on. Heath actually played well for us in spot duty when we knew they were passing the ball. Just not a full time player.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
The Cowboys team in 1992 had James Washington and Thomas Everatt as starting safeties. They were journeyman kind of players most of their careers. A fifth rounder and a fourth rounder. Neither of them were on the team more than a few seasons. Jimmy taught Jerry that safeties are not critical players on defense. As has been stated, you can't have first rounders starting every position. In the Rams game, the front seven got their collective butts whipped. Heath made a boneheaded play in that game, but he didn't cause the beatdown the Rams delivered. Yes, he would be better as a special teams guy who can rotate in and out, but he is far from garbage and does not deserve the vitriol directed his way on this board.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Cowboys team in 1992 had James Washington and Thomas Everatt as starting safeties. They were journeyman kind of players most of their careers. A fifth rounder and a fourth rounder. Neither of them were on the team more than a few seasons. Jimmy taught Jerry that safeties are not critical players on defense. As has been stated, you can't have first rounders starting every position. In the Rams game, the front seven got their collective butts whipped. Heath made a boneheaded play in that game, but he didn't cause the beatdown the Rams delivered. Yes, he would be better as a special teams guy who can rotate in and out, but he is far from garbage and does not deserve the vitriol directed his way on this board.

How we doing, Cooter?

I like where the offensive and defensive lines are going...and to think of it, that has to be paid for as well.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Jerry Jones said it himself..our safeties do not play the ball in the air well. The is an important thing to do at safety in a 4/3 D.

kskboys

Reaction score

He doesn't take bad angles. He simply lacks the lateral agility to adjust.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

Or that ,,,
" run down tackle " from behind( physically yanking away from him forever, a yarded gained T.D. ,,,on that New York Gnats rookie running back, those piped down pipsqueaks were popping off about on this forum ( tho, the Goodell vs #21 suspension seemingly fuzzed up their carp bottom feeding like jaws to engage,,, ya know?:lmao:)

Last edited: