Why are so many loudmouthed/bratty players WRs or CBs?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It seems to me that an unusually high proportion of the NFL's brats or it's-all-about-me personalities can be found in the WR and CB ranks. I'm thinking guys like Antonio Brown, Terrell Owens, Odell Beckham, Chad Ochocinco, Deion Sanders, Randy Moss, Cris Carter, Roy Williams (WR), Darrelle Revis, Josh Norman, Aqib Talib, Richard Sherman, etc. Even less-important WR/CBs like Terrance Williams, Patrick Crayton, Kevin Smith and Cole Beasley were unusually bratty or opinionated, relative to their minor role, and even the highly-regarded workman-like Marvin Harrison was known to have a passive-aggressive attitude.

What is it about the WR and CB positions that makes these guys so trash-talky or self-centered?

They are typically the fastest, best athletes. WR's got a lot of the glory with acrobatic catches and TD's. Talk a lot of smack and DB's do it back. WR's are cry babies because their entire world is dependent on how good the QB is.

Thats all I got..................

catiii

Reaction score
Yep. If you have ever watched an football game with mics on the field, the guys in trenches talk just as much. But they aren't the "sexy" positions so we just focus on the WRS/DBs on the outside by themselves and make that a talking point.

Sports in general is a game of talking trash all game long. If you have ever played, you know this to be true. No one position is more prone to do it more. Dugouts yap at each other the whole game. Every single sport is trash talking. We just don't hear it because the mics on the field are not real audible. You have to wait until certain programs that let you hear it all and even then, it's very cleaned up and polished.

Singletary and Romanowski are 2 of the biggest trash talkers and both of them were LBs.

I couldn't play with that sort of distraction on the field. They would bother me. It's no fun playing when they act like that. I would need total silence for the artiste to exhibit the skills of my "craft" :grin::muttley:

TRASH TALK ------->>>

Last edited:

stiletto

Reaction score
Let's face it, there's just obnoxious people in the world...athletes like them usually are not humbled by their parents from a young age..Instead taught that their "you know what doesn't stink" from the time they start Pop Warner. One example that I can give that is opposite of the norm in that realm I believe is Amari Cooper. Obviously seems to be a different sort, probably had really stern/smart humble parents that taught him how to act like a normal human being despite his great talents.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
John Randle never shut up. Mouths aren't limited to positions, we just hear more about the WRs because of fantasy.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Let's face it, there's just obnoxious people in the world...athletes like them usually are not humbled by their parents from a young age..Instead taught that their "you know what doesn't stink" from the time they start Pop Warner. One example that I can give that is opposite of the norm in that realm I believe is Amari Cooper. Obviously seems to be a different sort, probably had really stern/smart humble parents that taught him how to act like a normal human being despite his great talents.

Naw the reasoning was given earlier plus take josh norman, richard sherman them talking allowed them to get endorsements that their play alone wouldn't have gotten. Deion said he invented "prime time" to get attention for endorsements and it worked.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does this mean my 3 year old nephew is going to be a WR or DB?

Red Dragon

Reaction score
I dont remember Kevin Smith being loud

He talked all kinds of trash to Jerry Rice in the early 1990s, to the point where a fellow Cowboy told him to zip it because "that's Jerry Rice," and Smith shot back at his Dallas teammate to "go put your gold helmet on now!" Smith told Rice, "If you're the best there is, I'm going to have a loooong career." It got to the point where Jerry, usually always super-calm and professional, flipped the bird at Smith before the 1993 NFC title game.

(Quotes as best as I can recall from Jeff Pearlman's book Boys will be Boys)

InTheZone

Reaction score
He talked all kinds of trash to Jerry Rice in the early 1990s, to the point where a fellow Cowboy told him to zip it because "that's Jerry Rice," and Smith shot back at his Dallas teammate to "go put your gold helmet on now!" Smith told Rice, "If you're the best there is, I'm going to have a loooong career." It got to the point where Jerry, usually always super-calm and professional, flipped the bird at Smith before the 1993 NFC title game.

(Quotes as best as I can recall from Jeff Pearlman's book Boys will be Boys)
If a wr loses his cool then the DB is doing something right...as long as he's playing by the rules and not playing dirty

erod

Reaction score
I think it's easy to explain. Those guys are often left out alone "on an island"; and it's usually just the receiver, the corner, and one football. One guy will be the hero and the other guy gets roasted.

Brashness, cockiness, and being self-assured are vital. For a corner, so is a short memory. I think these guys often build themselves up as "the best" in their own minds just to create an aura around them that helps them make plays-or forget giving up one if he's the corner.
That's not it at all. It wasn't like that in the 70s and 80s. Jerry Rice, Lynn Swann, and Drew Pearson weren't that way. Everson Walls and Darrell Green weren't that way.

It's simple.

You can blame it on two players. Deion Sanders and Michael Irvin. They set the trend, and it's been copied and ramped up ever since.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
That's not it at all. It wasn't like that in the 70s and 80s. Jerry Rice, Lynn Swann, and Drew Pearson weren't that way. Everson Walls and Darrell Green weren't that way.

It's simple.

You can blame it on two players. Deion Sanders and Michael Irvin. They set the trend, and it's been copied and ramped up ever since.
The 70's and 80's those guys paved the way so guys can be more outspoken today. Back then they had to play by the "rules". Some of you loved it back in the day when you could control ppl that didn't act like you or how you wanted them to act. Always had that swag now we just get to show it off without being fired or discriminated against.

erod

Reaction score
The 70's and 80's those guys paved the way so guys can be more outspoken today. Back then they had to play by the "rules". Some of you loved it back in the day when you could control ppl that didn't act like you or how you wanted them to act. Always had that swag now we just get to show it off without being fired or discriminated against.

Or, perhaps they were just poorly raised.

erod

Reaction score
I don't follow college, just commenting on his nfl career. What did he do as a kid at Notre Dame?

He was the top-recruited receiver in high school, and ended up playing at Marshall. He was from a rough area, and it was mostly just trivial stuff. Had a big problem with authority because he'd never grown up with any. He had some issues in the pros; I think he bumped a cop with his car on purpose or something. Much more mature these days.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
EGOS
Why do so many kickers wear panties? who knows?