Why are some kickers accurate from long range but not from short?

John813

Reaction score
Doesn't this apply to Janikowski?

Seemed like he could nail a 50+ yarder then miss on a 40 yard.

ryanbabs

Reaction score
Maher is now the only NFL kicker to have ever made two field goals of 60+ yards in his career. But he continues to miss from short range. Can someone explain what sort of physiological or mental factors can make someone accurate from deep range but not from short?

Is it like how Steph Curry can make 3-pointers much better than anyone else in the NBA, but seems to miss short shots more than he logically ought to?
Maybe he spends more time practicing the longer ones?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Maher is now the only NFL kicker to have ever made two field goals of 60+ yards in his career. But he continues to miss from short range. Can someone explain what sort of physiological or mental factors can make someone accurate from deep range but not from short?

I think he feels more pressure on the short ones because he's supposed to make them. He tries to guide the ball through instead of just kicking it.

A 60 yarder is a wing and a prayer. You're not expected to make it, but he's got a strong enough leg to get it there so he just let's it rip.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score

Is it like how Steph Curry can make 3-pointers much better than anyone else in the NBA, but seems to miss short shots more than he logically ought to?
The basketball analogy is good but Steph is not the guy you want to use for it. He is always among the league leaders in finishing at the rim.
The answer is that just like in basketball, the distance kick is a different kick from the shorter kick. Also, there isn’t really any evidence that Maher is more accurate on longer kicks than shorter. He just happens to have made two really long ones.

csirl

Reaction score
There are 2 types of kicker in the world.

Type 1- very accurate short range, accuracy drops steadily as the range increases to the extent they miss most 50+ kicks.

Type 2 - similar accuracy from any length. Will miss a slighty higher percentage of long range kicks simply because the target is smaller i.e. a kick thats a few degrees off target will make it short range.

Maher is type 2.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
The basketball analogy is good but Steph is not the guy you want to use for it. He is always among the league leaders in finishing at the rim.
The answer is that just like in basketball, the distance kick is a different kick from the shorter kick. Also, there isn’t really any evidence that Maher is more accurate on longer kicks than shorter. He just happens to have made two really long ones.
I can't find it right now but if memory serves he was more acçurate from 47+ last year and struggled more between the 30-45 range.

khiladi

Reaction score

steph’s offensive game is complete. He can score from anywhere and dish out dimes. And contrary to popular belief, he doesn’t settle for the three but attacks the rim consistently.

khiladi

Reaction score
Could be wear they line up the kick that particular play. Some kickers struggle from certain angles.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Almost all kickers % goes down the further out they go.
It is a very extreme exception otherwise

Both main reasons have already been listed
Pressure and geometry

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
His power is excellent and more likely a natural attribute which means fixed and the focus on accuracy gets double the stimulus. The reason he misses 35 yard FG’s.

Last edited:

Shane612

Reaction score
You're not expected to make 60 yard FGs, so, less pressure.
40 yarders you better make those. So, more pressure.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I can't find it right now but if memory serves he was more acçurate from 47+ last year and struggled more between the 30-45 range.
I just looked at his career stats and it looks like sample size for me, he hasn’t even kicked 50 field goals in his career. I would actually probably say it just seems like he’s unusually accurate from long distance more than being especially inaccurate from shorter.