Why can’t they get rid of the salary cap?

Reaction score
I totally disagree. Baseball has no cap, & the salaries are out of control. Smaller markets can't complete with the Yankees & the Dodgers of the league. A cap forces teams to be smart with their money, & allows smaller markets teams to complete.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Why cant they get rid of the cap. Have a hard cap on teams trying to buy a Super Bowl but no cap on players you drafted or signed as UDFA. This way we keep players we want without having the animosity we have like Zeke last year and now Dak and coop this year. You can keep teams altogether and not be punished for drating well and coaching players up. Honestly we should start a union for fans so we have a voice in all this. After all we are the driving force for all of this, we should have a voice at the table or use what would hurt most, boycott games and dont show up or watch.

i agree...always felt fans should have a much bigger voice since we make everyone rich

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It wouldn’t be that low but a max cap on a particular contract would mean more money spread around to more players
If the players really looked at it the majority of them would make more money
The cap is never going away but from a players perspective the majority of the money goes to a handful of players. Those are generally a teams best players but for the majority of players a set max would mean more for the rest of the guys
I would think probably more like 15% but the concept should be popular for the majority of players, probably not for agents and super stars

conner --i so agree...when i see what QB's make in comparison to other players it makes me upset...QB's are getting close to 20% of cap

garyo1954

Reaction score
Why do ya think we Astros cheat?!!!!!

:laugh: Some truth in that. But it hurts thinking back all those years I used to fall asleep with a small transistor radio with earphone attached listening to the Astros lose night after night with Jimmy Wynn, Doug Radar, Johnny Edwards, and Denny LeMaster.

kskboys

Reaction score
:laugh: Some truth in that. But it hurts thinking back all those years I used to fall asleep with a small transistor radio with earphone attached listening to the Astros lose night after night with Jimmy Wynn, Doug Radar, Johnny Edwards, and Denny LeMaster.
Me too!!! I was listening the night they left Joe Niekro in to hit in extra innings, and he got a hit!!!! I think it was the 17th inning.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Likely the biggest reason (or two or five) we can't get rid of the salary cap is rookies held out for exorbitant amounts without ever playing a down. And didn't live up to the dollars.

Sam Bradford was the last to have that opportunity, signing for $78 million for 6 years, with $50 million guaranteed.
JaMarcus Russell 6 year, $68 million, who received $39 million for four season before being out of the league
Reggie Bush, RB, paid $62 million, ran for ran for 5400 yards in 10 years (albeit his receiving out of the backfield was a saving grace.)
Jason Smith, OT taken by the Rams, paid $61 million, injury prone
You could even add Matthew Stafford's $72 million and Matt Ryan's $70 million rookie deals.
And then there's Brian Bosworth. $11 million for 10 seasons (largest contract in NFL history at the time). Flunked his physical in the second year.