Why can't Jason Garrett keep his teams hungry?

Everson24

Reaction score
It seems that every season that Jason Garrett has been a part of this team, we cannot follow a playoff season with another playoff team. We go to 13-3 in 2007 and flop to 9-7 and no playoffs in 2008. 11-5 and division title with a very strong defense in 2009 and start out 1-7 in 2010. 12-4 and a wildcard win in 2014 and a complete flop of 4-12 in 2015. Now we are following a season when we easily could have gone 14-2 last year and it looks to be another flop of a season.

We look like Rocky Balboa from Rocky III when he got civilized and lost "The Eye of the Tiger".

I was concerned about this when I started this thread back on August 14th. Jason Garret is so predictable.
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/lets-all-prepare-ourselves-for-another-lost-season.382677/

Why can't Jason Garrett keep this team hungry? It isn't like we won the Super Bowl last year.

cml750

Reaction score
He is simply a bad coach. He is a great guy and is actually pretty smart but has zero situational awareness and zero "football smarts". He is much better cut out to be a front office person than being on the sidelines.

bark

Reaction score
He is simply a bad coach. He is a great guy and is actually pretty smart but has zero situational awareness and zero "football smarts". He is much better cut out to be a front office person than being on the sidelines.
I've been on the fence with Garrett but this pretty much is how I see it now.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
He is too busy printing up t-shirts with slogans.

My idea for his next shirt...FIRE ALL THE COACHES....
14790329.jpg

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
It’s not season to season...it’s half to half. With Romo the MO was come out flat and uninspired only to have Romo go nuts in the 2nd half. Now I feel it’s the opposite.

I heard a great analogy on JG as a coach the other day. He is a good card player when given great hands but when he’s forced to actually create something out of nothing to win a hand he doesn’t have it. The seasons we’ve done well he’s had it all go right. When teams adjust or it’s time for us to adjust he’s Not good. He’s a great clapper when on a roll.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
He can't keep his teams hungry, because he isn't hungry. JG knows that it doesn't matter how good or bad his teams are, that he won't get fired, so there's no sense of urgency or fear of losing his job. Basically, it's like a govt. job, he can't get fired, so why try to excel.

If he had to coach like his job depended on it, like any other coach, he might do a better job....... maybe.

CCBoy

Reaction score
There is no real line of accountability...work up a sweat is good enough. Oh, and a smile and clap...

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Why can't Garrett keep his team hungry? Zeke seems to be hungry all the time. :lmao:

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
We are not 2-3 because this team isn't "hungry."

Our best players are 2nd year guys and passionate veterans. And if nothing else JG teams never lay down.

Like what nonsense is this? The team literally fought to take the lead with a minute left in the game. What part of the game Sunday did you watch and conclude..."Yeah this team doesn't try."

Everson24

Reaction score
You can be hungry,"starving" if you prefer, but if you simply aren't good enough it doesn't matter.

Just watching training camp and the preseason games, you could see the start of this season playing out as it has. The team looks so soft and our tackling is horrendous.

When you watch the Commanders and Eagles play, there is a night and day difference in their intensity and ours.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
We are not 2-3 because this team isn't "hungry."

Our best players are 2nd year guys and passionate veterans. And if nothing else JG teams never lay down.

Like what nonsense is this? The team literally fought to take the lead with a minute left in the game. What part of the game Sunday did you watch and conclude..."Yeah this team doesn't try."

The offense has plenty of hungry guys. Dak, Zeke, Dez come to mind. Witten is but is always apologetic after games so I think fans see that as not being hungry. My guess is the O-Line, Fred, Zack, and La'el are passionate, "hungry" guys.

The problem is the defense is not talented enough to compete. They can be "hungry" but it doesn't matter if they aren't talented enough to do anything about it.

Like Witten, Garrett and Jerry are very apologetic. They make a lot of excuses and talk about how close they were. It sends a message that the team is only one lucky break away and that we'll get 'em next time. Eventually, you run out of next time's.