Why can't Jason Garrett keep his teams hungry?

Coy

Reaction score
It seems that every season that Jason Garrett has been a part of this team, we cannot follow a playoff season with another playoff team. We go to 13-3 in 2007 and flop to 9-7 and no playoffs in 2008. 11-5 and division title with a very strong defense in 2009 and start out 1-7 in 2010. 12-4 and a wildcard win in 2014 and a complete flop of 4-12 in 2015. Now we are following a season when we easily could have gone 14-2 last year and it looks to be another flop of a season.

We look like Rocky Balboa from Rocky III when he got civilized and lost "The Eye of the Tiger".

I was concerned about this when I started this thread back on August 14th. Jason Garret is so predictable.
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/lets-all-prepare-ourselves-for-another-lost-season.382677/

Why can't Jason Garrett keep this team hungry? It isn't like we won the Super Bowl last year.

Because he SUCKS

Kevinicus

Reaction score
2008 and 2010 were Wade Phillips teams. In 2008 Romo got injured which likely cost the team the playoffs. 2010...who knows.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
8 years into the process and some still want to give Garrett the benefit of the doubt. :facepalm:

Couldn’t agree more! I don’t get what people see in him. The PROCESS is a made up thing that apologists used to explain him needing: his guys, his coaches, him actually learning to coach as a “coach in training.” The reality, and it’s been reality in the league for 20 years is that parity rules. Besides the Pats, Packers and a couple of others 3-4 new playoff teams happen yearly. It’s fact. And WITH parity we have STILL never won more than a few playoff games. We just got beat by a rookie HC who came in with none of his own guys and took it to us. That’s parity and that’s what JG has gotten us...paper trophies and platitudes that have no basis in reality!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It seems that every season that Jason Garrett has been a part of this team, we cannot follow a playoff season with another playoff team. We go to 13-3 in 2007 and flop to 9-7 and no playoffs in 2008. 11-5 and division title with a very strong defense in 2009 and start out 1-7 in 2010. 12-4 and a wildcard win in 2014 and a complete flop of 4-12 in 2015. Now we are following a season when we easily could have gone 14-2 last year and it looks to be another flop of a season.

We look like Rocky Balboa from Rocky III when he got civilized and lost "The Eye of the Tiger".

I was concerned about this when I started this thread back on August 14th. Jason Garret is so predictable.
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/lets-all-prepare-ourselves-for-another-lost-season.382677/

Why can't Jason Garrett keep this team hungry? It isn't like we won the Super Bowl last year.
Interesting you used the years when Wade was HC.

You credit those 4 years on Garrett and not Wade? If so , what years do you credit Wade with?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Patting fannies and clapping only works in certain situations. When your down and getting your butt kicked, the last thing you want is for someone to smack your butt. Especially a guy.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Interesting you used the years when Wade was HC.

You credit those 4 years on Garrett and not Wade? If so , what years do you credit Wade with?

Wade did what did, even saddled with the worst OC the game has EVER seen. What could Wade have accomplished with a REAL OC?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The team is playing hard.

Zeke is the only questionable player because he can in out of shape.

Dez always has issues playing hard on all snaps. That didn't change from last year to this year.

Teams get harder schedules when they win a lot of games.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Dez always has issues playing hard on all snaps. That didn't change from last year to this year.

X...to run with the big dogs, one has to eventually be one.

DFWJC

Reaction score

Not a huge Garrett fan here, but to be fair, he's only been the full season head coach since 2011.
8-8
8-8
8-8
12-4, 1-1 playoffs
4-12 but train wreck at QB. Not sure that was a hungry team problem.
13-3
2-3 so far

Now if they end up not making the playoffs this season, it would be the first example that clearly fits your argument.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score

It could be a Dallas Cowboys problem, not so much or specifically a Jason Garrett problem.

Bill Parcells had 3 of 4 winning seasons in Dallas but 0-2 in post-season
Wade Phillips had 3* of 4 winning seasons in Dallas but was 0-2 in post-season. (*includes 1-7 partial season in 2010)
Jason Garrett has 3* of 7 winning seasons in Dallas and is 1-2 in post-season (*includes 5-3 partial season in 2010; excludes 2017).

IF there's a problem, it didn't start with Jason Garrett...it's likely something about the culture/mentality of the organization as a whole.

Verdict

Reaction score

He can't keep the team hungry because they are eating an all you can eat buffet of Tacos. Soft, soggy, wilted Tacos.

Maverick84

Reaction score
It could be a Dallas Cowboys problem, not so much or specifically a Jason Garrett problem.

Bill Parcells had 3 of 4 winning seasons in Dallas but 0-2 in post-season
Wade Phillips had 3* of 4 winning seasons in Dallas but was 0-2 in post-season. (*includes 1-7 partial season in 2010)
Jason Garrett has 3* of 7 winning seasons in Dallas and is 1-2 in post-season (*includes 5-3 partial season in 2010; excludes 2017).

IF there's a problem, it didn't start with Jason Garrett...it's likely something about the culture/mentality of the organization as a whole.
Wade was 1-2 no? Beat the Eagles in the Wild Card game in the 2009 season?

logan

Reaction score
We're a soft organization from the top down.

Training camp in 65 degree weather
Luxury practice facility
Luxury locker rooms
Massive contract extensions to players who haven't earned them

Just compare training camps between eras, in the Jimmy years they had two a days in 100 degree weather, now they spend 3 weeks playing pattycake by the beach.

MathewSK81

Reaction score
We're a soft organization from the top down.

Training camp in 65 degree weather
Luxury practice facility
Luxury locker rooms
Massive contract extensions to players who haven't earned them

Just compare training camps between eras, in the Jimmy years they had two a days in 100 degree weather, now they spend 3 weeks playing pattycake by the beach.
I agree on the contracts. But for the rest of it, that's the entire NFL these days.

TheHerd

Reaction score

We have only 2 games differfent than the other NFCE teams, and we just played on
Wade was 1-2 no? Beat the Eagles in the Wild Card game in the 2009 season?

2-2. Don't forget the BYE week victory...

yimyammer

Reaction score
He is too busy printing up t-shirts with slogans.

My idea for his next shirt...FIRE ALL THE COACHES....

:laugh:

fpYgYh7.jpg