Why Commanders hate us

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I can't help but love this response.

When was it that Staubach gave way to Stoerner? Sort of trumps the two comments in this thread about Cowboys fans not knowing history.

Clint Longley people. :rolleyes:

Wasnt expecting that one. oops.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SkinsandTerps said:
Man, I dont know whats wrong with those old guys. Maybe friends of Marv Albert or something. I wouldnt be caught dead in a womans dress. Ever. But gotta love the fact they have remained loyal to the Hogs ever all these years later.

However I will give them credit as I have been told that they do a great amount of charity work....not sure if that is true but if so that is a good thing IMO.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
That's how one Cowboys' lineman described Longley's performance in that Thanksgiving Day game...

That game is particularly dear to me, one of my prized memories of being a Cowboys fan... this is a bit of a long story, but one I love to tell...

My whole family became Cowboys fans in 1960, when the Boys came into the league... I was 8 years old, and Sunday was a family tradition-- go to church, where my Dad was the youth choir director and I was a featured soloist, then home to watch the Boys get killed by somebody else, then over to the La Paloma restaurant for some good Mexican food..

Well, in 1963 my Dad got transferred to Fort Meade, outside of Baltimore (he was a 20 year Army man), and we moved into the family house in Hagerstown... and my Mom, Dad and little brother promptly switched their allegiances to the freakin' Commanders... I couldn't believe it, my Mom in particular just adored Don Perkins back in El Paso...

I alone remained faithful to the Boys, which is part of the reason I describe myself as the white sheep of my family... anyway, we fast forward to the Longley Bowl, many years later... though my brother and I were now adults, and the family was scattered some, we still all congregated at the family house in Hagerstown for Thanksgiving...

On this particular Thanksgiving, of course, the Skins took it to the Boys early... and my family, particularly my Dad and brother, and even my Granddad, were just being BRUTAL to me... I was gettin' seriously pissed, and about ready to kill somebody when Staubach went out... I mean, I was HOT...

Then the magic happened, Longely went off on the Skins, and at game's end that house was really, really quiet... the womenfolk announced that dinner was ready, I stood up with a laugh and announced that I was starved...

The rest of the menfolk in my family didn't seem to enjoy dinner that much that day... too bad, it was a particularly good spread...

Ahhhh, the memories... never have had a sweeter "in your face, sucka" moment in my entire life...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Wasnt expecting that one. oops.
I didn't even bring up stuff about Skins fans who know nothign of their history like you and the other uy tried to do. You think that every Skins fan is a Phi Beta Kappa when it comes to their team? Get real.

Let me give you a prime example. I was in my office one day and I received a delivery. I happened to have on a Cowboys t-shirt. The driver proceeds to get all obnoxious about his team, the Skins being better than us. I pointed out that at that particular time we had won 9 in a row against the Skins (with inferior coaching I might add). He said, "in your dreams pal, we own you."

Before he left he did tell me something that you will be excited to know. The team is named Commanders after a brand of peanut that is indigenous to that area. "It has nothing to do with Native Americans." I asked him why the logo then. Why not have a peanut logo instead? He had no answer.

Not that I'm shocked.

Cuts both ways. I'd bet you money I know about your team than he did. Hell under anesthesia I'd know more than he did.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Not that I'm shocked.

Cuts both ways. I'd bet you money I know about your team than he did. Hell under anesthesia I'd know more than he did.

I agree that obviously some people are just blind homers with no knowledge of their teams history and what not. And just as you knew more than he did, I know more than most Boys fans that I meet. Sad but true.

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Before he left he did tell me something that you will be excited to know. The team is named Commanders after a brand of peanut that is indigenous to that area. "It has nothing to do with Native Americans." I asked him why the logo then. Why not have a peanut logo instead? He had no answer.

Yeaaa, and it's also a common misconception that the Cowboys were named for the men who worked on ranches and cattle drives in the west.

Actually it was after a lesser known mythical Greek figure, half-man, half-cow....

The MOOOO-NOTAUR!

:rolleyes:

InParcellsWetrust

Reaction score
They hate us because we have dominated them for so long it's killing them to have to listen to us brag over each win