News: Why coordinator Dan Quinn sees Dallas Cowboys' defensive lapses as the 'fun part'

Doomsday101

Reaction score
FRISCO, Texas — When the Dallas Cowboys defense left practice on Sunday, coordinator Dan Quinn felt it.

The energy. The relentlessness. The “want to,” he says, “to get going.”

The defense Quinn is turning around needed very few corrections in their final session of game preparation. Confidence brimmed across each level of the unit.

“I knew we were in a good headspace,” Quinn said. “The shift was going to take place for us to play really fast.”
After a 41-21 burying of the Philadelphia Eagles, Cowboys fans were in a good headspace as well. The Eagles had scored a touchdown on defense and another with minutes left in the game. Put another way: the Dallas defense allowed just seven points in 56 minutes of play.

But Quinn sees the holes. Before the 3-0 Panthers arrive on Sunday, he hopes to shore up them.

“We still have a ways to go from the communication standpoint I’d like to see us get to,” Quinn said Tuesday at team headquarters. “We can play faster in terms of what your key is. We’re still giving up too many big plays for our liking.

“There is a lot to do, but that’s also kind of the fun part of this: to see guys go and see where we’re going.”

Why coordinator Dan Quinn sees Dallas Cowboys' defensive lapses as the 'fun part' (yahoo.com)

NotForLong

Reaction score
FRISCO, Texas — When the Dallas Cowboys defense left practice on Sunday, coordinator Dan Quinn felt it.

The energy. The relentlessness. The “want to,” he says, “to get going.”

The defense Quinn is turning around needed very few corrections in their final session of game preparation. Confidence brimmed across each level of the unit.

“I knew we were in a good headspace,” Quinn said. “The shift was going to take place for us to play really fast.”
After a 41-21 burying of the Philadelphia Eagles, Cowboys fans were in a good headspace as well. The Eagles had scored a touchdown on defense and another with minutes left in the game. Put another way: the Dallas defense allowed just seven points in 56 minutes of play.

But Quinn sees the holes. Before the 3-0 Panthers arrive on Sunday, he hopes to shore up them.

“We still have a ways to go from the communication standpoint I’d like to see us get to,” Quinn said Tuesday at team headquarters. “We can play faster in terms of what your key is. We’re still giving up too many big plays for our liking.

“There is a lot to do, but that’s also kind of the fun part of this: to see guys go and see where we’re going.”

Why coordinator Dan Quinn sees Dallas Cowboys' defensive lapses as the 'fun part' (yahoo.com)
giphy.webp

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Quinn knows these guys will make mistakes and they will continue to work and communicate better to cut down on big plays by offense, but he has them playing aggressive and fast, not scared. These guys are quickly buying into what Quinn wants and you can see the confidence building with these guys

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like the cohesiveness he brings to this D, McCarthy also seems to be adding to that equation as I see the entire team supporting each other

Dallasfann

Reaction score
A lot of people still view our defense as a weakness.

Im actually excited when we go on defense these days.

I was talking to a friend about the same thing. For the first time in 10+ years I actually get excited to watch our defense play. I didn't realize that was a thing to be honest. I thought when you watched football you just prayed the opposing offense didn't score easily and then get excited to watch the offense. This year is different...like when the other team has the football....I'm excited to still watch. What is that feeling?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I was talking to a friend about the same thing. For the first time in 10+ years I actually get excited to watch our defense play. I didn't realize that was a thing to be honest. I thought when you watched football you just prayed the opposing offense didn't score easily and then get excited to watch the offense. This year is different...like when the other team has the football....I'm excited to still watch. What is that feeling?

I think a lot of people don’t get that NFL defenses in general are bad and we’re an offense that’s going to put up points so of course teams are going to get yards on us.

This defense has upside and it has a lot of missing players.

The truth is Micah Parsons is just changing things. His pass rush ability is changing the defense quickly.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
A lot of people still view our defense as a weakness.

Im actually excited when we go on defense these days.

After what we've seen the last few years, can you blame them? But like you, what I've seen the first 3 games is a message that things are finally coming around...

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Quinn knows these guys will make mistakes and they will continue to work and communicate better to cut down on big plays by offense, but he has them playing aggressive and fast, not scared. These guys are quickly buying into what Quinn wants and you can see the confidence building with these guys
We are going to be scary around week 8ish and beyond.