Why Cowboy Fans are Angry

CowboyBlog

Reaction score
I was trying to think of an analogy to explain why this change upset me so much. Here is it.

With the lack of success the Cowboys have had recently, this was legitimately supposed to be the year. This is the first year in a long time that outside people were picking us to win. Hopes were very high.

It is like a family has been preparing for a major surgery for a long time. We met with the doctors, made the arrangments and got everything in order for a successfull surgery.

The day comes and the veteran surgeon preps everyone and begins the surgery. Then, out of no where, here comes a med student holding a book that says "brain surgery for dummies" ready to take over and finish the operation.

As I get upset, the people in the waiting room assure me that he has the potentional to be the best surgeon in the world. "He is going to make some mistakes today, but eventually he will be good enough to give everybody the best chance survive."

I dont care about the next one, this is the one that matters.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
This was never going to be the year with Bledsoe as the QB.

I would say that most Cowboy fans are thrilled we are never going to have to see the statue again.

joseephuss

Reaction score
No, people are mad that the offensive line has not been fixed and a long term solution at QB has not been found.

The line was bad in 2002 under Campo and is only moderately better now. Defense wins championships, but offense gets you to the show. The offense has not been pulling its weight for many years and that is mostly because of the o-ine.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
CowboyBlog;1117729 said:
The day comes and the veteran surgeon preps everyone and begins the surgery. Then, out of no where, here comes a med student holding a book that says "brain surgery for dummies" ready to take over and finish the operation.

:bow:
:laugh2:

The only difference being that our veteran surgeon is known to cut the wrong areas and crumble to the floor when pressured. Oh, and he just keeps patting the scalpel.

He may get more right than Romo -- we don't know -- but it's not like the surgery is going to be a complete success (Super Bowl) with Bledsoe.

Fun post, though.

rcaldw

Reaction score
CowboyBlog;1117729 said:
I was trying to think of an analogy to explain why this change upset me so much. Here is it.

With the lack of success the Cowboys have had recently, this was legitimately supposed to be the year. This is the first year in a long time that outside people were picking us to win. Hopes were very high.

It is like a family has been preparing for a major surgery for a long time. We met with the doctors, made the arrangments and got everything in order for a successfull surgery.

As I get upset, the people in the waiting room assure me that he has the potentional to be the best surgeon in the world. "He is going to make some mistakes today, but eventually he will be good enough to give everybody the best chance survive."

I really don't think too many Cowboys fans are angry.

Let me change the analogy.

You go in for that same surgery. You read the Doctor's bio and about all the surgeries he has performed, all the surgical stats he has piled up, so you feel confident.

But alas, once you are about to go in, you find out that he has been dismissed from his last two places of service. He looks great washing up and putting those gloves on. He talks a great game and makes you feel completely confident. But when the lights go on in the operating room, and the pressure mounts, his hands begin to shake.

You hear about a young surgeon, has been in training under this doctor and the chief of the surgeons for 4 years. The head of the surgical department assures you that he is ready. You look at some film of some lesser operations that the young guy has performed, and even with a few mistakes, he is no more erratic than the old guy with shaky hands. At least this guy has potential.

No, it isn't guaranteed that the surgery will be a success, but I'm going with the young guy who doesn't have shaky hands. :)

Tripod

Reaction score
CowboyBlog;1117729 said:

This metaphor is pretty damn accurate. For me..Romo...OKay, you have 2 games to prove you are the future QB. Only 2 for now. Look good and you continue to play, look bad and you sit and you watch Bledsoe for 8 more games and learn something (try to derive the good stuff!). Look awful and you're out for now and gone at the end of the season.

I don't want to predict what will happen but 2 games is enough to find out.
Frankly, the last half told me a lot.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
How much more of Bledsoe can you stomach?

At the very least it will be EXCITING if ROMO goes down!

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1117757 said:

First, Sexy Rexy.

Now, you're "excited" to see Romo go down?

:( :confused: :eek:

:laugh2:

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
CowboyBlog;1117729 said:

To use your own analogy,,if the seasoned surgeon kept cutting out your liver and the people around him, said, no that's not the right organ,, then he cuts it out again,, then again,, then again.. there would come a time when someone says, get out.. let this person give it a try. I mean I know the bledsoe lovers are upset, but he kept making the same mistakes over and over and over.. enough is enough.. Romo might make the same mistakes over and over and over too,, but he might not.. and that is why the change was made.. Its not that Romo has played his way in,, it was that Bledsoe played his way OUT.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboyBlog;1117729 said:

Well, keep going...don't leave us hanging! Did the guy/gal live? Or, did the guy/gal pass into the nother world?

Come on, man! Fill us in! Did the family member live or die!

I have got to know!

tecolote

Reaction score
I was angry Monday morning, I´m not angry now.

Besides, the old surgeon should be sued for malpractice.

Fan Since 77

Reaction score
I would say that I feel relieved and bitter. relieved it finally happened and bitter that we signed Bledsoe.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
making the change to Romo is probably a step in the right direction...I hope fans dont go overboard with their expectations though...if he plays bad for a few games, it doesnt mean he will NEVER be able to play well...

he isnt the only issue out there though...if the OL doesnt play better than it has and the defense continues to be a picture of mediocrity, not much will change

I think Romo will do well, there are too many good offensive players here for him not to...he definitely needs to make better decisions than he did Monday Night, but the quick release, accuracy (for the most part) and quick feet should benefit the offense

what I found disturbing though is that while it was uplifting to most of us and the fans at Texas Stadium once Romo came in the game, the defense then actually played worse...I think the Giants scored on 3 of 4 drives after Romo entered the game, and scored back to back TD's with almost no resistance from our defense...very disappointing

David

Fan Since 77

Reaction score
dbair1967;1117798 said:
making the change to Romo is probably a step in the right direction...I hope fans dont go overboard with their expectations though...if he plays bad for a few games, it doesnt mean he will NEVER be able to play well...

he isnt the only issue out there though...if the OL doesnt play better than it has and the defense continues to be a picture of mediocrity, not much will change

I think Romo will do well, there are too many good offensive players here for him not to...he definitely needs to make better decisions than he did Monday Night, but the quick release, accuracy (for the most part) and quick feet should benefit the offense

what I found disturbing though is that while it was uplifting to most of us and the fans at Texas Stadium once Romo came in the game, the defense then actually played worse...I think the Giants scored on 3 of 4 drives after Romo entered the game, and scored back to back TD's with almost no resistance from our defense...very disappointing

David

In all fairness to our defense, the Giants didn't have far to go when they got the ball on offense.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
A more apt analogy would be said surgeon who has never had a patient survive save one and that's only when the hospital threw him out in the middle of an operation then fired him.

He gets hired on at the next hospital and promptly kills every patient until they tire of death and fire him. They unfortunately have no capable replacement surgeon due in large part to the original surgeon's refusal to work with one.

He then gets hired at a third hospital because an old family friend sits on the board of directors. This hospital has state of the art equipment and a national reputation for the finest care. They provide cutting edge training, the best anestesiologist, the finest nurses, the works, no expense spared. Our surgeon promptly kills patient after patient with simple mistakes that a first year med student, heck even a boy scout with a first aid merit badge would know not to do.

I don't know about anybody else but I'd rather take my chances with any intern I could find if it were a matter of life and death.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Fan Since 77;1117801 said:
In all fairness to our defense, the Giants didn't have far to go when they got the ball on offense.

Exactly. The offense kept putting the defense in bad position. Plus it was such a let down that the defense forced a fumble only to watch the offense turn the ball over before half time. Sure the defense needs to step it up, but it would be a great boost if the offense actually became average.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1117757 said:

If Romo goes down Crayton will look real sexy putting his hand under the center's butt. That will be about as sexy as my, poor ole, Aunt Gertrude getting her uh ah oh....apron string caught in the ringer. :)

joseephuss

Reaction score
Cbz40;1117858 said:
If Romo goes down Crayton will look real sexy putting his hand under the center's butt. That will be about as sexy as my, poor ole, Aunt Gertrude getting her uh ah oh....apron string caught in the ringer. :)

Yes, keep going.