Video: Why Dak Prescott is Actually the Most Accurate QB in the NFL | NFL Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billyd

Reaction score
Wrong.

I can name names that said they would never cut Dez. But I won't do that.

Second point.... Those same folks swore up & down he would get 14.5 mil from the Cowboys this season. So the chump change her eventually receives from some other team is highly relevant imo. Ok. Back to my popcorn...:popcorn:

THIS is funny..Lets review..

When Tony was blocked from being inserted back into the starting lineup because injury, when the staff said that would not happen, this end result was set in motion...For better or worse Dez time and ultimately Wittens time with the Cowboys were numbered. These decisions were money decisions, and I believe Witten just made the choice based upon the blood in the water..

WHEN they didnt offer a cut in the contract it should have been a known..I believe their frustration with Dez boiled over last season when after the season he openly questioned the offensive schemes...Either way and I admit i didnt think they would cut Dez like that....But Thats another Stephen issue..He got alot of criticism for the Dez deal..Im sure he didnt appreciate the negotiating that Dez did then like bringing on two different reps the last one being Conlon..Lol..JERRY had decided reluctantly, and let Stephen be the fall guy on the cut so he could save face with Dez..My take..

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'm not going to recite every single play as I can't name every single play, just like you can't tell me every play where he didn't throw late or didn't overthrow/underthrow a wide open receiver. I'm not even sure why you're even questioning my post because no matter what I said has no validity with you. Your response was borderline trolling.
Again, so you don't know. You don't even have one factual example to base an opinion on. Your mind is made up already.

Nope, I can't name every play. But I'm also not making inaccurate claims to suggest I know. I'm fine if I don't know, I don't need some internet god to clear my opinion.
It's like when some Dak haters claimed he could never throw the back shoulder fade. I supplied an example and that was that. There are other examples too.
I find it interesting that there are a small group that is so vocal about Dak sucking.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
THIS is funny..Lets review..

When Tony was blocked from being inserted back into the starting lineup because injury, when the staff said that would not happen, this end result was set in motion...For better or worse Dez time and ultimately Wittens time with the Cowboys were numbered. These decisions were money decisions, and I believe Witten just made the choice based upon the blood in the water..

WHEN they didnt offer a cut in the contract it should have been a known..I believe their frustration with Dez boiled over last season when after the season he openly questioned the offensive schemes...Either way and I admit i didnt think they would cut Dez like that....But Thats another Stephen issue..He got alot of criticism for the Dez deal..Im sure he didnt appreciate the negotiating that Dez did then like bringing on two different reps the last one being Conlon..Lol..JERRY had decided reluctantly, and let Stephen be the fall guy on the cut so he could save face with Dez..My take..
Dez may have been on our roster if not for his lack of production and becoming a distraction. Both effect decision making with that type of salary I would guess.

ESisback

Reaction score
Maybe I didn't read that article well, but I have trouble buying its premise when whoever wrote it put Prescott ahead of Wentz, Smith and Goff for 2017. Now, if you want to combine 2016 and 2017 and say he's better, I could buy the argument. He wasn't better from September 2017 to February 2018, though.

This article was sort of like teams drafting QBs because they have a big arm. Arm strength doesn't matter if you don't use it well. For a variety of reasons (line play, Elliott's suspension, receivers, etc.), Prescott didn't use his skills as well over a full season as he did the previous year and was a middle-of-the-pack quarterback. Anyone who puts him above that for 2017 is cherry-picking to make things look better than they were.

We need to accept that 2017 was not at the level that we need from our quarterback and hope that the circumstances this year and his work on his game both show that he's better than that. Maybe he won't play at the level he did in 2016, but we need better than the midlevel play of 2017.

Dak had a HORRIBLE stretch of games in 2018, which drug his overall year down into mediocrity. Combined with 2016, though...

No one thinks he’s the best, just in the upper half, ESPECIALLY for QBs in their first two years. As Cowherd illustrates, four important stats PROVE he doesn’t get the same praise as guys like Flacco or Scam Newton.

Would I rather have Brady or Rodgers or Brees? Of course. Who wouldn’t? But if Brad Johnson, Joe Flacco, Trent Dilfer, Jim McMahon, Doug Williams and several others can win, Dak sure can.

Last edited:

Billyd

Reaction score
Unless you can show what throws you're talking about I don't really see the relevance of making the statements. What passes exactly were forced? What one's were overthrown or under-thrown? What one's were simply thrown away? What ones were from the WR not making a correct read or route?
Until we can honestly see these facts saying "several a game" is a little dishonest. IMO

I DONT believe it was very hard to see forced passes to Dez...Like i said before that was going on in 2016.See Giants games..As far as last year goes, pick the early games 2-6 And more later..The Progression was ugly, If you want more evidence look no further than Beasley. He was schemed out of the shoot, and it wasnt till 3-4 games in that the Cowboys Started to try and do something there, what they did was ineffective as well...

Point is that overall the Cowboys failed at times adjusting in games, and to overall scheming with all of the receivers..The assit coaches paid the price last season..Right or wrong!

Billyd

Reaction score
Dak had a HORRIBLE stretch of games in 2018, which drug his overall year down into mediocrity. Combined with 2016, though...

No one thinks he’s the best, just in the upper half, ESPECIALLY for QBs in their first two years. As Cowherd illustrates, four important stats PROVE he doesn’t get the same praise as guys like Flacco or Scam Newton.

FLACCO is not a very good qb, he won a superbowl on the defenses back, i get it, but Dak is way better than Flacco now...Same old story Forth rounder with some issues in consistency...Combined with wr route running, wr personnel and a ocord that looked real smart with wiley vet making the calls!!lolol

ESisback

Reaction score
Again, so you don't know. You don't even have one factual example to base an opinion on. Your mind is made up already.

Nope, I can't name every play. But I'm also not making inaccurate claims to suggest I know. I'm fine if I don't know, I don't need some internet god to clear my opinion.
It's like when some Dak haters claimed he could never throw the back shoulder fade. I supplied an example and that was that. There are other examples too.
I find it interesting that there are a small group that is so vocal about Dak sucking.

It’s either a dislike/resistance for/against the new breed of QB that plays against the conventional, drop back, pocket passer, OR it’s that other thing that we don’t need to get into.

Billyd

Reaction score
Dez may have been on our roster if not for his lack of production and becoming a distraction. Both effect decision making with that type of salary I would guess.

DEZ has Always been that guy. IT was money and the realization that the lot ball that Tony and him played that Tony was good at because of trust and Tonys accuracy as a qb, were just not going to continue with Dak...The Cut a player with the perception or down right fact is rampant now..More so than ever before. DEZ and Tony were tied together.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Dak Prescott is going to develop into a souped up Alex Smith.

If we have a chance to somehow do better at the position then im all for it but in a league where it's hard to find Quarterbacks i'm happy with our guy.

They had the chance to move up for Carson Wentz a couple of years ago and set on their hands.. We'll see how that decision plays out over time.
I agree.
I think he could be like a more productive Alex Smith with a better deep ball, and a better runner. The biggest areas he needs to improve at is as a pocket passer, moving in the pocket when the outside rush comes, and in his intermediate passing game, being more decisive. In 2016 he was consistently accurate on his 10-20 yrd throws.
Defenses have tightened up - can he find new ways to succeed in that department?

Billyd

Reaction score
It’s either a dislike/resistance for/against the new breed of QB that plays against the conventional, drop back, pocket passer, OR it’s that other thing that we don’t need to get into.

I know It..i cant stand it either. DAKS qualities as a leader and his ability to beat you multiple ways just magnify the stupidity of opinions like that..Although I realize he has things to deal with, i dont doubt his ability to look at the tape, Make the neccessary adjustments, learn from it and move on. ITS pretty Ironic how fans like to give credit to 2016 To the rg and oline, Then refuse to point there in 2017 as the culprit for some of this criticism...

No some of our base cant get pass their own issues to get to the football ones!

Billyd

Reaction score
I agree.
I think he could be like a more productive Alex Smith with a better deep ball, and a better runner. The biggest areas he needs to improve at is as a pocket passer, moving in the pocket when the outside rush comes, and in his intermediate passing game, being more decisive. In 2016 he was consistently accurate on his 10-20 yrd throws.
Defenses have tightened up - can he find new ways to succeed in that department?

IDN ive seen him run out of alot of jams from offside pressure...I think there was a loss of confidence last year from multiple points of the offense combined with taking more chances. We actually got what should have happened in 2016 combined with offensive cord bs.. Linehan really went south last year..

Last edited:

DiResta

Reaction score
was Dak inconsistent his rookie season?
since this is a Dak thread
heres football outsiders adjusted interceptions from 2017
Dak threw 13 picks, 1 was a 'hail mary' and 3 were tipped by receiver into hands of defender
8 were potential interceptions that the defender dropped
so adjusted interceptions is 17

for comparison Wentz threw 7 picks and 6 were dropped with no tips so 13 adjusted

Rodgers threw 6

Roethlisberger threw 14 and had 4 more dropped

Brady threw 8 and had 5 dropped

for comparison in 2016 Dak threw 4 and had 3 dropped

link

sjmike

Reaction score
I'm really glad he's here, and I'm excited about watching where he goes from here.

But I'm not going to pretend I've seen NFL-caliber throws when I simply haven't yet. He can throw on the run well. Check. He can throw deep down the sideline pretty well. Check. he can throws 5-yard hook routes and out routes. Check. However, he can't sit in the pocket, go through reads, and throw in to windows down the middle of the field with any regularity. Until we see that, he's just an average quarterback at best.
I don't know where you get the info that he can't sit in the pocket and go through his progressions. I have seen him do this many times. If he would focus on Dez or Jason in the past, it was because they either demanded it or he was comfortable throwing to them. As of now, he will be able to survey the whole field and make his reads. I have confidence that he will. I assume that you don't

Billyd

Reaction score

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
10-20 for the season? How about several a game for several games...

I'm simply not making excuses for Dak and hope he turns it around, but let's not act like he has maybe 1 bad pass a game. How many forced passes to Dez alone in tight coverage when someone else was wide open or vice versa.

Some of you really can't be serious about this.

Don't talk about "being serious" while trying to point out what is a tiny minority of his passes. The total numbers make anyone trying that look like a fool.

The numbers are the numbers. And the only people trying the "stats lie" angle are those getting crushed under reality.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Don't talk about "being serious" while trying to point out what is a tiny minority of his passes. The total numbers make anyone trying that look like a fool.

The numbers are the numbers. And the only people trying the "stats lie" angle are those getting crushed under reality.
As a previous posted said to me, unless you can bring facts...aka play by play breakdowns of every dropback(late throws, missed throws to the open wr, under/over throws, then your argument is invalid. I argued a poster who mentioned he had maybe 10-20 bad passes a year. That is false. I don't have an exact number, but clearly 1 a game is false. That fact that Dak had a potential 17 picks alone, not counting any other kind of bad pass already won my argument since I'm going off the 10-20 bad passes claimed by another poster here.

HungryLion

Reaction score
7 months from now, the levelheaded fans amongst us are either going to be really happy or really sad with regards to our QB situation. I suspect the fringe fans on both sides of the debate will never change their minds on Dak.

If Dak sucks, I am screwed with my username.

Poor planning on my part.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a previous posted said to me, unless you can bring facts...aka play by play breakdowns of every dropback(late throws, missed throws to the open wr, under/over throws, then your argument is invalid. I argued a poster who mentioned he had maybe 10-20 bad passes a year. That is false. I don't have an exact number, but clearly 1 a game is false. That fact that Dak had a potential 17 picks alone, not counting any other kind of bad pass already won my argument since I'm going off the 10-20 bad passes claimed by another poster here.

Again, I'll go with the big boy numbers.

63% completion in his "down year" and 65% over his two year career this far. Numbers based on 950 passes. And I'll let smaller minds argue over minutiae of a few passes here and there.

And while you're trying to pat yourself on the back, where does the number "17 picks alone" come from anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.