why davis at free safety

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Bill seems to like him. He's around the ball which is a good thing for a FS. He's aggressive which if used properly could result in some turnovers. He's fast enough. He hits hard. He can tackle. He's got courage and persistence. He stays in shape and has done all the right things for awhile.

He has not had the opportunity to prove or disprove he can play safety in the NFL. He looks like he'll get a chance to compete with Reese and Scott.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
jobberone said:
Bill seems to like him. He's around the ball which is a good thing for a FS. He's aggressive which if used properly could result in some turnovers. He's fast enough. He hits hard. He can tackle. He's got courage and persistence. He stays in shape and has done all the right things for awhile.

He has not had the opportunity to prove or disprove he can play safety in the NFL. He looks like he'll get a chance to compete with Reese and Scott.
Yeah what he said :D

tvooz

Reaction score
jobberone said:

did he practice at the position last year, i.e. training camp, minicamp, regular season practice, regular season game, college

Hoods

Reaction score
tvooz said:
did he practice at the position last year, i.e. training camp, minicamp, regular season practice, regular season game, college

He was NFL Europe's defensive MVP at free safety...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hoods said:
He was NFL Europe's defensive MVP at free safety...
You say that like you mean it's a good thing. All joking aside, it wouldn't surprise me to see Reese the starting FS in San Deigo.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
If Bill Parcells had idea that Davis would be competing for a starting job this year at Safety, WHY not give him reps last year when we sucked anyway? I don't see the logic. Now we look like we can be decent on paper, but lets trot a guy out there that has no NFL experience. Makes a whole lotta sense to me. Guess thats why I'm the fan and BPs the Coach, lol.

Please tell me Davis didn't play any FS last year. I watched every game and don't remember him playing.

Reaction score
EveryoneElse said:
If Bill Parcells had idea that Davis would be competing for a starting job this year at Safety, WHY not give him reps last year when we sucked anyway? I don't see the logic. Now we look like we can be decent on paper, but lets trot a guy out there that has no NFL experience. Makes a whole lotta sense to me. Guess thats why I'm the fan and BPs the Coach, lol.

Please tell me Davis didn't play any FS last year. I watched every game and don't remember him playing.

I wondered the same thing... he had some aversion to moving Roy to SS last year, though... I'm sure he thought Roy was his best coverage safety and he needed him there with as many long passes they were giving up...

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Having observed Parcells these last few years it's obvious it takes awhile or something to earn his trust.

He's said he liked the face Davis was around the ball. He also said he was too aggressive and I believe he said he wasn't always where he was supposed to be. So I suspect that is why Scott earned the job as that is what Dixon was guilty of among several other large concerns/problems.

So I believe Davis can provide depth at the safety spot as well as provide competition for Scott and Reese.

I see the FS job open with Scott being steady but not a playmaker, Izell being a known but unspectacular player with experience, and a potential playmaker.

Each brings something to the table and I think all will get a chance to win the job. At least we should have depth at the position.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
tvooz said:
what has he done?
He has earned the chance to compete for the starting job by working his butt off coming up through the ranks after being a rookie free agent in 2002.
tvooz said:
what are his qualifications?

Contributed on special teams as a rookie after toiling on the practice squad.

After a horrible 2003 season marred by off-season problems he went to NFLE became a dominant force in Thunder secondary and on special teams, continued his dominant play on special teams for the Cowboys during the 2004 season.

Seems like a fighter to me, don't know how far his talents will take him. I think he's at the point his career where he'll define what type of player going to be. I think Reese came to that cross road 3 seasons ago, Tony Dixon was there last year. I think he's earned his shot to perform on the big stage.

If he gets over the hump, it'll make a great pregame interview... if not he'll be just another guy.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Keith Davis is a football player. that's all there is to it. He was a menace on special teams, and it's been pointed out, and anyone who saw him play last year knows, he flys around the field and makes plays. He has good instincts (albeit on special teams, but football is football). I think Parcells feels that Davis has shown enough on special teams, and enough football ablitly to at least merit a shot at the starting FS spot. Reese may well start the 1st couple games of the season, but I think Davis has too much potential to not at least get some game action. I like the kid.

Tristan

Reaction score
there were some nice safety prospects available last year when we drafted the injury prone Jacob Rogers, like Madeau Williams for example, until Mr. Rogers shows worthy, this really sucks! last years second round was nice. Keary Colbert anyone?

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
laxative juice said:
I thought Keith Davis didn't play last year because him and Roy both played free safety.

Parcells addressed this in a late season press conference.. Basically he stated that while he(BP) would have liked to given Davis some playing time, he could not bring himself to take Roy off the field to do it.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
EveryoneElse said:

Last year he played SS and ST.
Guys roles change.

LA is probably gonna be a starting RT this year.
Last seaosn he took zero snaps there.

You make these changes in the off-season.

Last season BP had Woody pencilled in at FS with Dixon and Scott behind him.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Tristan said:
there were some nice safety prospects available last year when we drafted the injury prone Jacob Rogers, like Madeau Williams for example, until Mr. Rogers shows worthy, this really sucks! last years second round was nice. Keary Colbert anyone?
yawn.
every year there are good prospects available every round.
we arent drafting safeties that early here anytime soon with rw at FS, TNew at CB and the signed Henry. the 4th member of the secondary cant and shouldnt be highly paid.

right now rogers looks like a wasted pick and they happen. move along.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
StonetheCrow77 said:
I wondered the same thing... he had some aversion to moving Roy to SS last year, though... I'm sure he thought Roy was his best coverage safety and he needed him there with as many long passes they were giving up...
Has it occurred to anyone that w/5 scrub RCBs last year that Bill didn't want to put yet another inexperienced player back there to cover them. That's why Roy had to play back there, he was the best and most experienced player in the secondary. I would have thought long and hard about trotting out yet another UDFA to man that spot, too.

Joe a Cowboys fan

Reaction score
FS is an open spot. Roy will play both safty spots IMO including the Bill Bates nickle package. It's just real hard to take Roy out of the game at any time. But I think Roy will spend most of his time at SS and FS will be a position of rotation for us all year until they can address it next year.

It wouldn't surprize me if we got a safty if a good one was available in next years first day of the draft. BAA of course but all else equal get a good one. Probably once again pass on whatever WR I like to do it too.

Ike has experience which Bill prizes but I bet Davis has his shot in camp to shed the rookie role rep. Bottom line is Bill will have to play every one we have to find out which is the winner. I like open competition myself.