Why DeMarvion Overshown will be a heat seeking missile for the Dallas Cowboys

tyke1doe

Reaction score
considering you are by far the worst evaluator of football talent on this board, why bother?

I have no doubt it is the same with idiot homers on all boards for all teams.

How talked up was Jaylon Smith? Of course his injury probably prevented him from ever being it.
Even Taco was talked up by homers here.
Claiborne was the best since Deion
I could go on but why waste my time on you?
Who talked Jaylon Smith up when he was drafted? :huh:

There was HUGE criticism of that pick for obvious reasons. Many didn't think he'd ever recover, though some trusted the Cowboys staff regarding his injury since the Cowboys doctor performed his surgery, if memory serves me correctly.
As for Taco, much of the board wanted T.J. Watts. Taco was about as much a surprise as Mazi Smith.
As for Claiborne, many hated we gave up picks to jump to get him. And, I'm sorry, I recall NO ONE here saying he was the best since Deion Sanders.
To even suggest it is laughable.

I don't doubt some posters overevaluated some of our picks, but, IMO, you pick three players that from my recollection were universally panned except by posters who think the Cowboys can do no wrong and never make a misstep in the draft.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Dan Quinn likes to leave one true LB on the field and one dime-backer, aka the Kearse. But sometimes we go "heavy" with a rotational second LBs for certain matchups, a la Anthony Barr last year.

Overshown will compete for Kearse snaps this season, and I think Damone Clark is your Barr this year. Just a bigger guy who was a really talented downhill player in college.

But it's not out of the question that Overshown could eventually nail down a full time starting job. His skillset is versatile enough to potentially be both the Kearse and the Barr.... the roles aren't that far apart, and he is talented enough to blend them.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dan Quinn likes to leave one true LB on the field and one dime-backer, aka the Kearse. But sometimes we go "heavy" with a rotational second LBs for certain matchups, a la Anthony Barr last year.

Overshown will compete for Kearse snaps this season, and I think Damone Clark is your Barr this year. Just a bigger guy who was a really talented downhill player in college.

But it's not out of the question that Overshown could eventually nail down a full time starting job. His skillset is versatile enough to potentially be both the Kearse and the Barr.... the roles aren't that far apart, and he is talented enough to blend them.
Barr had some nice plays here and there last year but excited to see what Clark can do in that role if its his.

rambo2

Reaction score

There was HUGE criticism of that pick for obvious reasons. Many didn't think he'd ever recover, though some trusted the Cowboys staff regarding his injury since the Cowboys doctor performed his surgery, if memory serves me correctly.
As for Taco, much of the board wanted T.J. Watts. Taco was about as much a surprise as Mazi Smith.
As for Claiborne, many hated we gave up picks to jump to get him. And, I'm sorry, I recall NO ONE here saying he was the best since Deion Sanders.

I don't doubt some posters overevaluated some of our picks, but, IMO, you pick three players that from my recollection were universally panned except by posters who think the Cowboys can do no wrong and never make a misstep in the draft.
A lot of people didn't like the Tyler Smith pick or the Travis Frederick pick or the Michael Parsons pick.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
A lot of people didn't like the Tyler Smith pick or the Travis Frederick pick or the Michael Parsons pick.
I think my statement ...

"I don't doubt some posters overevaluated some of our picks, but, IMO, you pick three players that from my recollection were universally panned except by posters who think the Cowboys can do no wrong and never make a misstep in the draft."

covers your point. :)

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I think he will be a great STer from day 1. Hopefully we give him (or Cox or really both) some snaps in the nickel defense. We need a LB who can actually play some defense in the short middle of the field when we are in zone to let our pass rushers get to the QB. He is only playing in the base D if we go 3 LBs. He can play on the weakside. He isn't an NFL safety and he isn't likely playing the Kearse role as everyone is assuming. He was moved from safety because he is a better fit as a LB. He is a good fit for the Neal role which was more LB than safety even though both are hybrids roles. Not exactly the same. Love his potential.
He's the safety/LB hybrid that Quinn likes.

Jarntt

Reaction score
He's the safety/LB hybrid that Quinn likes.
I think the mistake people are making is comparing him to Kearse and assuming he will play the same role. Both will play some sort of a hybrid role but when push comes to shove he is a LB and Kearse is a safety. He was moved from LB to safety for a reason and got better when he did. He will play more of the role we saw Neal play here. I think we will see some run down sets where he or Cox plays a true weakside LB role.

J-man

Reaction score
I said right after the draft that he was my favorite pick. I love his potential to be a difference maker for this team.
IMHO, he fits the mold for a new prototype player, one for a semi-position-less middle defense that the league is morphing into. Playing a bunch of speed/power guys who can wreck havoc all around the line and/or underneath in the short area of the field. I think DQ is at the forefront of this movement and will turn this guy into an absolute weapon. DQ has been drafting guys who can play all over the field for the last several years, as well as bringing guys like that in. Overshown, Kearse, Kazee, Williams and Micah to name a few.

CWR

Reaction score

There was hype with Jaylon, but a ton of skepticism with where we got him.

The MO comment was actually said by our staff. He was the highest evaluated cb they had seen since Sanders.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
"Heat seeking missiles" are valuable assets that separate the better defenses from the lesser ones. I respect that idea! :grin:

Last edited:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I highly doubt he will be a day 1 starter
I honestly think he is the best pick in the draft, but you are right he will likely be buried in 2023.

He could get playing time, but someone will probably have to get hurt or benched. I think he would do well though

tyke1doe

Reaction score
There was hype with Jaylon, but a ton of skepticism with where we got him.

The MO comment was actually said by our staff. He was the highest evaluated cb they had seen since Sanders.
I don't recall any poster saying Jaylon being chosen in the second round was a great pick.
Of course, posters were hopeful he would heal and return to his pre-injured self. But I thought the second round was too high for him.
As for MC, the staff doesn't count. We're talking posters on this board, and I remember the criticism of us giving up premium picks to get him.

Frederick and Martin, I can see. But Jaylon and Claiborne? There were considerable doubts about them based on what we gave up to get them.

Praxit

Reaction score
Im kinda hesitant to say this as most will take it the wrong way.. but Roy Williams kinda comes to mind here, lets hope he doesnt fade like he did but I think those tools are there.
..one thing about Roy. When he did score a TD, he had the horns up in a hurry. He was good at that.. ;)_..