Why did Miles Austin make the team?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I admit I haven't focused on him as much. I've seen what Hurd and Rector can do. So why did we keep Austin?

Was his special teams play that good?

Did he make some magnificient catch I missed?

Is he just that talented that we couldn't let him get away?

Some feed back would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks aforehand.

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
pretty cool.

Monmouth isn't too far away from here. i have friends who went there who are pretty excited.

he had one real nice td catch, but i'm sure he showed parcells something on ST's.

Ken

Reaction score
The question of the day.

He's got great size. I know that much. He had a great TD.

Other than that, no clue.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Was his special teams play that good?
He did make a few STs tackles, but I wouldn't be suprised if he's on the inactive list on gamedays.

Did he make some magnificient catch I missed?
He had one catch for a 48 yard td against the 49ers.

Is he just that talented that we couldn't let him get away?
6-2 1/4 217 4.47(combine) 40 1/2 vj 21 reps

Parcells said that he was very green in a pc. Kiper thought he was a 3rd or 4th round pick. He looked very impressive at the combine. Kind of built like a te, similar to TO and he is very coordinated and fast. Showed good hands all the way through camp from all the reports. I think Mickey(Talkin Cowboys) mentioned that he had a great final week of camp after the 49ers game and that td catch.

Number82

No Helmet; No Problem
Reaction score
He's from New Jersey.Actually, Garfield, NJ. Home of Wayne Chrebet. My best from was actually his flag football QB when we were younger. I was a soccer player so I didn't play, not did I know him.

But seriously, he showed potential. Parcells thinks he can be just as good as Copper on ST and a better WR down the road. Copper has had a chance to prove himself at WR and done nothing. So BP decided ... NEXT.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
If Austin still is on the roster for Week 1 (which is no guarantee), it will be because of special teams. He'd essentially be taking Copper's spot on the roster.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
He may have been the 53rd player added. I'm sure there were several jump balls at the end of the roster. It's funny he was at the top of my list of UFA's and I was happy when we brought him in. But when he struggled early in camp and Hurd shined I figured practice squad city for Austin. Other than a TD on a blown coverage I didn't see him do much.

But he has size (6'3 219) and decent speed (4.55 40) so maybe they figured we'll give him the 3 years we gave Copper and maybe he'll develop.

I know BP wanted to develop some young WR's and since they gave up on Skyler, why not Hurd and Austin? He comes from a small school so maybe they think he just needs to be coached up.

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
If Austin still is on the roster for Week 1 9which is no guarantee), it will be because of special teams. He'd essentially be taking Copper's spot on the roster.

Absolutely, the kid is battling the need for another TE, the return on Coleman in a month, the need for a backup NT and the o-line situation which might remain in flux. Good luck to him but it might have been better to try and get him on the PS while being released with a hundred other guys than to do so in a week or two when he might be one of only a handful of transactions.

X-Dawg

Benched
Reaction score
Why'd he make it? b/c he's got potential - b/c we may have to dig deep into our WR depth with 2 33 yr old WR's and 1 being a headjob

ratpower

Reaction score
They knew Copper was reliable but ultimately limited. Austin had a good camp. He was impressive at Oxnard and seemed to be making plays.

It was a surprise, thought they would sneak him on to the Practice Squad but it looks like they like what they saw...We'll see...

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
In the last few games he played, he caught a long TD pass, then made several key special teams play.

He is very big, 6-3, 1/2, 219 with 4.47 in 40. Doesnt have great quickness, but can get deep.

he is a bigger version of cooper.

if you noticed he didnt play in the minny game, so parcells saw something the last 2 games before that and at pratice.

He then, came from same college as Jets wr, that parcells found-wayne cherbet.

I think Dallas is still possibly trying to trade Kenyon Coleman and Fowler.

Next, if the cowboys sign another player from another team that was cut, then i would say it would be austin that is released.

Jerry Jones stated that they are looking for a TE, and maybe a good backup NT.

So, i think they are still going to do some trades, or pickup a couple of players, and then you got to remember they will have 2 backup safety rookies, so they will still be looking at Marcus Coleman if he comes back in 4 weeks. So, that means another player has to be cut.

Ken

Reaction score
cowboyjoe said:
In the last few games he played, he caught a long TD pass, then made several key special teams play.

He is very big, 6-3, 1/2, 219 with 4.47 in 40. Doesnt have great quickness, but can get deep.

he is a bigger version of cooper.

if you noticed he didnt play in the minny game, so parcells saw something the last 2 games before that and at pratice.

He then, came from same college as Jets wr, that parcells found-wayne cherbet.

I think Dallas is still possibly trying to trade Kenyon Coleman and Fowler.

Next, if the cowboys sign another player from another team that was cut, then i would say it would be austin that is released.

Jerry Jones stated that they are looking for a TE, and maybe a good backup NT.

So, i think they are still going to do some trades, or pickup a couple of players, and then you got to remember they will have 2 backup safety rookies, so they will still be looking at Marcus Coleman if he comes back in 4 weeks. So, that means another player has to be cut.
One correction...

Chrebet came from Hofstra and Austin came from Monmouth.

Bizwah

Reaction score
From about 1994 to 2004, we were terrible at developing young receivers. I think we felt that needed a warm body opposite Irvin and we'd be ok. When it became apparent that we needed more, we tried the "quick fix" method that Jerry loved.

Here are a few names that we had and failed to develop:
Jimmy Smith (2nd most whined about missed player in Cowboy history)
Kevin Williams
Willie Jackson
Stepfret Williams
Macy Brooks
Deveren Johnson

Now, I think that the above mentioned players (with the exception of Smith) lacked from a talent standpoint. Also, we felt a sense of urgency for one of them to step up. But we haven't had a WR to develop in a long, long time.

Now, we're finally beginning to see something from our young receivers. Crayton has been a very pleasant surprise. Rector looks like a find...Sam Hurd has come from nowhere..even Copper showed a little something before being cut. In other words, it's beginning to look like we actually have something going as far as coaching our WRs.

Austin is a player with great measurables. And with the encouraging results from players like Crayton, Copper, and Rector, I think we can develop Austin. And if we can harness his ability, then we may have a very good player on our hands.

I think it's obvious from the word "go" that we've been "hiding" him. He has played very, very little. One of the few times I saw him in the game he caught a 48 yard TD. Unfortunately, the TD may have "outed" him and forced us to put him on the roster.

To me, this isn't a bad move. I was pulling for Austin. He was my choice for TC surprise (which I guess I'm right, huh?). I'm excited about this guy. If he can be developed watch out.

Hiero

Reaction score
i wouldve much rather kept petitti or stanley, but oh well. i can only hope stanley makes it to the PS

aikemirv

Reaction score
Bizwah said:
I think it's obvious from the word "go" that we've been "hiding" him. He has played very, very little. One of the few times I saw him in the game he caught a 48 yard TD. Unfortunately, the TD may have "outed" him and forced us to put him on the roster.

To me, this isn't a bad move. I was pulling for Austin. He was my choice for TC surprise (which I guess I'm right, huh?). I'm excited about this guy. If he can be developed watch out.

Something had to happen between Thursday night and Saturday with Austin. Because if we were going to keep him on Thursday why in the world would we not let him play. We were throwing the ball all over the place and we don't put him in the game. It just does not make sense.

Did we just at the last minute hear someone was interested in him or just decide not take a chance of getting him on the PS.

Because Copper had a great game Thursday too.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
No, it was between Thursday and the game before the Vinny game, that the Cowboys saw something with Austin.

He did not play in the last game, which you brought up a good question, why? So, something had to happen before that game.

He does have more speed that Hurd, so why wasnt he playing against Minnesotta, joe

Chuck 54

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
If Austin still is on the roster for Week 1 (which is no guarantee), it will be because of special teams. He'd essentially be taking Copper's spot on the roster.
And i think it was a good swap...copper had never done much of anything at WR, not even in preseason. If Austin can take his place as a gunner, he's already way ahead of copper as a wr...imo.

On the other hand, it's unlikely other teams will want the veteran Copper, so by releasing Austin later, if we do, we're more likely to get him to the practice squad, and we could probably add Copper at any time.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
cowboyjoe said:
No, it was between Thursday and the game before the Vinny game, that the Cowboys saw something with Austin.

He did not play in the last game, which you brought up a good question, why? So, something had to happen before that game.

He does have more speed that Hurd, so why wasnt he playing against Minnesotta, joe
I have to think that at that point Parcells hadn't made up his mind yet between Austin and Copper and other bubble players and wanted to hide him at that point, but when decision time came he just couldn't let him go. I think Jerry once before said that you have to decide if it is going to make you sick if you lose him and if it will then you don't let them go.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
It is odd that he made it and Copper didn't.

But I like it.

I see good things in Austin down the road.