Why did Miles Austin make the team?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
tyke1doe said:
I admit I haven't focused on him as much. I've seen what Hurd and Rector can do. So why did we keep Austin?

Was his special teams play that good?

Did he make some magnificient catch I missed?

Is he just that talented that we couldn't let him get away?

Some feed back would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks aforehand.

Let me just say this, I dont know the answer.

Now let me also say this, I just got done watching special edition with jerry jones. He was talking to brad sham about how teams hide players this time of year that are prospects because they dont want other teams seeing them if they have to waive them and put them on the practice squad.

When sham asked him if he would ever do that, in a kidding wink wink kind of way Jerry talked about Miles austin. So they must have decided he wouldnt have cleared waivers and kept him, but I bet they view him as a prospect like rector last year and they originally didnt plan to play him too much and then did just a little and liked what they saw enough to keep him because he is a prospect.

Moral of the story, he was going to be hidden and then waived with the intention of going to the practice squad and they gave him a look in games and he played well and had to keep him. So the answer to your original question why is he here is because he probably couldnt clear waivers and we view him as a prospect.

I find it comical that everyone has wanted us to get younger wr and they spend endless time on message boards complaining about the wr corps getting younger, now it is younger, crayton, austin, rector and hurd.

Now all of a sudden we are getting sign jabar gafney and every other stiff that has a name that people know but are just spare part players. The logic makes no sense.

TroyEmmittAndMichael

Reaction score
I think Theebs is right. We were probably trying to sneak Austin onto the practice squad, but then a lot of other teams must've watched the game against the Saints when he caught that TD. After all it was on MNF. Or other teams must've already had their eye on him. When we signed him as an UFA right after the draft, I remember that his name was popular with a lot of other teams.

It doesn't hurt either that Austin is a Jersey guy from Monmouth and costs a little less than Copper who is going on his 3rd yr. Plus, with Austin making a couple of ST tackles in the preseason, Parcells probably thinks that the drop off (if there is any) in ST play in going with Austin wasn't as significant as the increase in his WR potential.

Copper was going into his 3rd yr and Parcells already knew what he had in Copper. He's curious about Austin now. Austin will never see the PS unless Parcells doesn't care if he's poached.