Why did the O-line look so sluggish? Possible reason

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
I've read reason after reason why we played bad or poorly. But no one I've heard or read has brought up one thing BP mentioned early in TC.

The weather. He said he thought going to AZ may cause problems for the players due to the heat. So they go from practicing in mid 80 degree weather to temps over 105.

Anyone else think this could be a BIG reason for the poor O-line showing? I mean for someone that big the 30 min of warmups in that heat would drain them if they weren't used to it, and we haven't delt with that kind a heat all TC so we weren't used to it!

Just a thought.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
or maybe you have a new RG, who just started practing with the OL in TC, you had a rookie RT who hadnt worked with the first team alot, you had a C who was a former G who just started playing with the first team, plus you had Berry going aginst FLo, who sucks at speed rushers, what did you think was gonna happen?

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
or maybe you have a new RG, who just started practing with the OL in TC, you had a rookie RT who hadnt worked with the first team alot, you had a C who was a former G who just started playing with the first team, plus you had Berry going aginst FLo, who sucks at speed rushers, what did you think was gonna happen?
See I call that sloppy not sluggish. We where beaten off the line all game long every where. Our players just didn't look to have the energy needed; which is typical of not being used to the heat.

I'd say we will play with a lot more speed and energy this coming monday playing in a cooler climate and at night.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Weather had nothing to do with it. It didn't seem to effect anyone on the Cards team so why should it effect us? And it's not like these guys played a whole game. It's a preseason game so they play about 2 1/2 quarters at the most. The starters only play about 1 1/3 quarter, and being that they were horrible from the start of the game, I'd say fatigue had nothing to do with it.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
I've read reason after reason why we played bad or poorly. But no one I've heard or read has brought up one thing BP mentioned early in TC.

The weather. He said he thought going to AZ may cause problems for the players due to the heat. So they go from practicing in mid 80 degree weather to temps over 105.

Anyone else think this could be a BIG reason for the poor O-line showing? I mean for someone that big the 30 min of warmups in that heat would drain them if they weren't used to it, and we haven't delt with that kind a heat all TC so we weren't used to it!

Just a thought.
Hate to tell you this but it was a night game. It was under 90 degrees and there was a gentle breeze. Mild humidity. In other words, nope.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Mickey claimed that the Cards train in a higher altitude where its cooler so they weren't use the heat anymore than the Cowboys.

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:

Just a thought.

Yeah, they were Carolina Pathers playoff game type sluggish.

I don't think the heat was a factor, both teams played in the same temperature, if it was the heat than get use to a few home losses in the beginning of the season.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jksmith269 said:
I've read reason after reason why we played bad or poorly.
Just another idea...BP had no plan to do anything but just show up and look at players. How unmotivating is that? After 3 weeks of camp I would be excited to play unless I were just thrown out there to see what happens. I don't know if anybody really has the answer.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Week 1 preseason is a joke for most part. You have 40 guys not to be in league soon, teams playing vanilla.
Lets move on -

ravidubey

Reaction score
It was preseason. Flo and Larry don't care enough and Pettiti is a rookie who's playing with pain. Gurode was outmatched.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nors said:
Week 1 preseason is a joke for most part. You have 40 guys not to be in league soon, teams playing vanilla.
Lets move on -
Sounds like the perfect time to critique the backup QB situation. :rolleyes: