Why did they keep throwing???

ryanbabs

Reaction score
I haven't seen this mentioned, but why did we continue throwing the ball knowing that our QB was having a really "off" game and also knowing that his thumb was bothering him? I mean, I could understand if we were down by 20+ points, but we were a touchdown away from leading the whole game!

I am very puzzled by this, as we only wore down the defense and they still played great!

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I usually complain that we do not throw on 1st down enough......so I got what I asked for.....

Guess when we win.....I am happy with run or pass 1st......

I am a fickle fan for a fact!

ryanbabs

Reaction score
I would agree with you, but we only TRIED to run it, what 12 times??? They came out throwing on all downs it seemed...

I actually remember a couple of good runs by Barbe and Jones also..

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I must say... Garrett forgot something about his playing days in the 90's...

We had a running game... he seems to want to go "Air Romo"

If you are gonna do that... you gotta hit TO

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1839743 said:
The Eagles took away the run.
The Eagles stopped Julius, holding him to (-4 yards) on 4 carries on consecutive possessions--the last one of the 1st half and the first one of the 2nd. At the time, it looked like they were "taking away the run."

Also at the time however, Barber was having a good day, with 22 yards on 5 carries. But (because of the perception that we couldn't run the ball?) he only got two more carries the rest of the way (for 10 yards).

Barber was never consistently stopped.

DragonD

Reaction score
You also have to remember that sometimes it is the QB's call. They often call two plays in the huddle one a run and one a pass. That's why you hear him say "kill, kill" so often.

Without actually seeing the called plays, it might be a little hard to judge.

D

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Personally, I think the Eagles stop the run if you continue to feed it to Barber, but that is just conjecture.

I watched a little bit of the 1st Eagles game on Saturday. Al Michaels said that Jason Garrett told him that he has two priorities when he starts a game:

1. Get Tony Romo going
2. Get the Offensive Line going

I think Garrett was making an effort to meet the goal listed in bold.

khiladi

Reaction score

How do you take away the run from a team that only runs, what, 11 times?

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Running the ball successfully is a mindset that requires patience. We haven't show recently that we're willing to do this. Just because the running game isn't producing over a few offensive series doesn't mean you can abandon it. If we don't fix this flaw (and it is very fixable), we won't get to where we want to go. It's just that simple. Hopefully the coaching staff realizes this.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
By the way, there were many times during the 90's that Emmitt was stuffed in the first half, only to bust out in the second half. Why? Because we were committed to running the ball and didn't let the opposing defenses make us stray from our game plan. We HAVE to have some patience.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
The switching finally caught up to us. Marion Barber is the back. We cannot throw away series trying to establish JJ. We will become a better team as soon as Garrett understands this.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
THEHEREAFTER;1839860 said:
The switching finally caught up to us. Marion Barber is the back. We cannot throw away series trying to establish JJ. We will become a better team as soon as Garrett understands this.

Do I like Barber better? Yes. However, the coaching staff isn't using Julius properly. Julius isn't Emmitt. He can't continually run only between the tackles. He isn't that type of runner. We need to get him out in space. We need to run some screens, some stretch plays, something to give him room to use his speed and ability to make defenders miss. We need to involve him in the passing game. Why does't the coaching staff see this? I just don't understand.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
We cannot throw away series trying to establish JJ.
That's the message that has to get through. With the stakes higher now, we could throw away an entire season.

superpunk

Reaction score
percyhoward;1839810 said:
The Eagles stopped Julius, holding him to (-4 yards) on 4 carries on consecutive possessions--the last one of the 1st half and the first one of the 2nd. At the time, it looked like they were "taking away the run."

Also at the time however, Barber was having a good day, with 22 yards on 5 carries. But (because of the perception that we couldn't run the ball?) he only got two more carries the rest of the way (for 10 yards).

Barber was never consistently stopped.

Preach on, brother percy. It would seem the coaching staff is still hanging onto the "every 20th carry, if the blocking is perfect, he'll get you about 15 yards" theory with regards to Julius. Freaking count me out. I've had way 'nuff.

kevwun

Reaction score
This should have been a game where Barber got 25-30 carries. I'm only partly saying that because it would have really helped me in my fantasy league playoffs.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
kevwun;1839928 said:
This should have been a game where Barber got 25-30 carries. I'm only partly saying that because it would have really helped me in my fantasy league playoffs.

The eagles didn't take away the run, Barber was doing fine, JJ was being JJ. Granted, he did have that one good run taken away from a Koiser hold, but we definitely had some opportunities to run. If you only run the ball 12 times in a game, you can't say anything was taken away. It's not like we were down 21 points with a quarter to play. It's not like the pass was clicking.

There were plenty of opportunities to run, we just didn't. Garret has no patience for the run, if it fails on the first attempt, then the next two plays will be passes and then a punt if that doesn't work.

khiladi

Reaction score
Star4Ever;1839868 said:
Do I like Barber better? Yes. However, the coaching staff isn't using Julius properly. Julius isn't Emmitt. He can't continually run only between the tackles. He isn't that type of runner. We need to get him out in space. We need to run some screens, some stretch plays, something to give him room to use his speed and ability to make defenders miss. We need to involve him in the passing game. Why does't the coaching staff see this? I just don't understand.

So pretty much, what your saying is that when the stars align properly, and Halley's Comet once again returns to earth, JJ will bust a play for 70 yards? I'm sorry, but I don't think we should bother waiting for that 'moment'. If it takes that much to get JJ going, and he can't do a damn thing on his own, than get rid of him.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not much to take away when you rarely even try... Tho I will admit Eagles were pretty hard to run on yesterday.

I know it's sacrilege, but I liked BP's committment to the run. I think it's pretty standard to make the defense respect the run, even if you're not successful.

They weren't down enough for them to completely give up on it as early as they did.

As for whether Barber or Julius should've gotten more carries than the other. It really doesn't matter when the OC wasn't calling any for either.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score

Julius' first two carries were each for five yards. One was nullified by Witten's false start.

Then he came out...

I'd put this one on Garrett as much as Romo, the playcalling looked like we were down by three touchdowns the whole game.