Why didn’t we take the Bears trade down offer?

Jarntt

Reaction score
Most likely we didn't want to trade all the way back to 20. We Got a free 3rd rounder for the guy we were taking any way. Plus I'm hoping we use it and our 2nd to get a late first

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
easy, the cowboys didnt want to move that far down.

Still the wrong move. If Surtain or Horn was there, fine. You have to maximize the value of the pick. A first rounder from a bad team would have been well worth it. Giants probably have a top 12 pick next year in addition to their own.

Zordon

Reaction score
Most likely we didn't want to trade all the way back to 20. We Got a free 3rd rounder for the guy we were taking any way. Plus I'm hoping we use it and our 2nd to get a late first
But they would have had enough picks to move up after going down to 20.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
not a given, then why the hell did they trade a 3rd to move ahead of the Giants?

They feared the Giants might do it. Anticipating what other teams might do is what well run teams do. But the Giants signed Kenny Golliday this offseason and are pretty loaded on offense. I thought they would take Slater.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And if Parsons becomes an all-pro, it will be all forgotten. The goal is to get GREAT PLAYERS not just great draft position.

So many teams bomb with first round picks. And the goal of any pick is to get a great player.

Parsons is 245 lbs. No wonder he's fast right? Now you put him on a team with a lousy DL and he's going to stop the run? I hope so b/c we sure did blow an opportunity to add some great picks. Baremore at 20 would have been more impactful. Chicago's 1st round pick next year might be a really good one. Its a bad team with a rookie QB.

CWR

Reaction score
Thats not a given. They could have planned a trade back all along. The dream scenario of having Fields and Jones on the board rolled into our laps and we did not capitalize. NY did.

Hey I guess you learned why they hadn't gotten in depth with LVEs 5th year option right? So now we're bent out of shape for not trading out of Parsons? Lol

rikolai

Reaction score
Still the wrong move. If Surtain or Horn was there, fine. You have to maximize the value of the pick. A first rounder from a bad team would have been well worth it. Giants probably have a top 12 pick next year in addition to their own.

Correct. Jerry just admitted they could have made the deal to go down further. With the character concerns, I would have risked it

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The folks whose knee jerk reaction was "how do you know Chicago even offered Dallas the package of picks" ? Well, those folks don't follow the draft. Its all over the internet and now we have Jerry talking about it and admitting we passed on the offer.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Parsons is 245 lbs. No wonder he's fast right? Now you put him on a team with a lousy DL and he's going to stop the run? I hope so b/c we sure did blow an opportunity to add some great picks. Baremore at 20 would have been more impactful. Chicago's 1st round pick next year might be a really good one. Its a bad team with a rookie QB.
Apparently not many teams think so because Barmore hasn't been picked yet. Shrug.
Second, who says we're done? We can get DT help with our other picks.
I didn't think Parsons fit here. But he is considered one of the best defensive players in this draft. I don't think you pass that up. And we don't even know for sure the Bears offer was available to us.
At any rate, as always, time will tell.

rikolai

Reaction score

Well that's definitely not happening. Jerry and Stephen have been talking to the media for the last 20 minutes so they don't even know who's being picked right now.