Why didn't Emmitt win an MVP in 1995?

Thomas82

Reaction score
Org1;2272194 said:
I think it may have been Barry Foster of the Steelers that he chased down in 93
I don't remember for sure

It may have been 95 that Bettis was pushing with the Rams

Emmitt beat Barry Foster for the 1992 rushing title, and in 1993 he caught Jerome Bettis from behind.

MONT17

Reaction score
To compare the 90 team who lost 15 games the year b4 to a team that just won the superbowl by 40 some points is funny to me but to each his own. I love the fact that none of the 3 are considerd the best or even considerd the best of their era. They only played like the best!

rcaldw

Reaction score
MONT17;2272489 said:
To compare the 90 team who lost 15 games the year b4 to a team that just won the superbowl by 40 some points is funny to me but to each his own. I love the fact that none of the 3 are considerd the best or even considerd the best of their era. They only played like the best!

The comparison is absolutely valid. The team had won 4 in a row, Aikman went down and they lost both games. What was the difference? Using the same logic as is used with the Emmitt Smith argument, the WHOLE difference was Aikman, they couldn't win a game without him.

Let me add something else. Who did Dallas lose those 2 games to in 1993?

The Washington Commanders in game 1 - the 1991 Super Bowl Champions
The Buffalo Bills in game 2 - the 1990,1991, and 1992 Super Bowl runner ups and AFC Champions

Two pretty good teams to face with Derrick Lassic as your running threat, and a team that had an angry locker room over managements unwillingness to get our starting running back in.

The Buffalo game came down to the wire, and that was after Lin Elliott had missed some easy FG's and ended up getting cut the next week.

By the way, Dallas was already AHEAD of Arizona in game 3 when Smith made his entrance.

I'm not bashing Emmitt, I have already stated, best running back of his era, period. I'm bashing the simplistic stuff that gets thrown out by huge Emmitt fans who want to say he was the whole team. Just wasn't true.

Org1

Reaction score
I definitely didn't bring it up as a big three Vs. thing
I find myself having to argue for all three of them (especially as to why Irvin is better Art Monk)

I just feel so strongly about the Emmitt thing because I even have people tell me that Curtis Martin is arguably better than Emmitt Smith
Lots of people think that Marshall Faulk and Barry are just hands down better

My point is that Emmitt important and even an elite QB and an elite WR need him
Elite O-Line also

rcaldw;2272627 said:
The comparison is absolutely valid. The team had won 4 in a row, Aikman went down and they lost both games. What was the difference? Using the same logic as is used with the Emmitt Smith argument, the WHOLE difference was Aikman, they couldn't win a game without him.

The Buffalo Bills in game 2 - the 1990,1991, and 1992 Super Bowl runner ups and AFC Champions

Two pretty good teams to face with Derrick Lassic as your running threat, and a team that had an angry locker room over managements unwillingness to get our starting running back in.

The Buffalo game came down to the wire, and that was after Lin Elliott had missed some easy FG's and ended up getting cut the next week.

By the way, Dallas was already AHEAD of Arizona in game 3 when Smith made his entrance.

I'm not bashing Emmitt, I have already stated, best running back of his era, period. I'm bashing the simplistic stuff that gets thrown out by huge Emmitt fans who want to say he was the whole team. Just wasn't true.

Thomas82

Reaction score
rcaldw;2272627 said:

I get your point, but Emmitt definately was the key to the offense. The Cowboys won games without Troy Aikman, they won without Michael Irvin, but they did not win without Emmitt. The only time they did, which I found to be strange, was when all 3 of them sat out of the game against the Packers in 1999.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
Seven;2273124 said:
:signmast:

GREAT sig............
Indeed! I'd like to see one also that has the Patriots helmet on and a superbowl 42 patch on his shirt.
:laugh2: