Why didn't we resign Peters?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Was there ever any rationale given for not signing Peters?

Peters still wants to play. He was a quality starter at *multiple* positions last year. I'd take him as the gameday backup at 4 positions over all our other backups, including Chuma. But fine. Maybe they just love love love Chuma. If they like Chuma more than Peters, then keep them both, because Peters' value was *more* than established last year.

Once we didn't draft interior oline high, signing Peters was a no-brainer to me. Still is, especially if we're trying to make a run this year, which seems to be the case.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

Peters still wants to play. He was a quality starter at *multiple* positions last year. I'd take him as the gameday backup at 4 positions over all our other backups, including Chuma. But fine. Maybe they just love love love Chuma. If they like Chuma more than Peters, then keep them both, because Peters' value was *more* than established last year.

Once we didn't draft interior oline high, signing Peters was a no-brainer to me. Still is, especially if we're trying to make a run this year, which seems to be the case.
Did anyone else sign Peters? We tried to start him in the playoffs and he got hurt in the second quarter. Peters is done.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
One, who roster spot does he take? And two, there has to be a fear in the organization that once sign, he will get hurt and then they’re stuck with his salary and roster spot.

blueblood70

Reaction score

You say that without mentioning the fact is he still out there I mean if he is there's a reason he's still out there and that means next week we may pick him up if things don't look good this week... There's a pretty big list of free agents still out there that after week two teams usually pick up so they don't have to guarantee their pay.. So let's see what how things work out tonight and then you'll see our front office make moves just like I did all last year they kept bringing in people throughout the year..

quickccc

Reaction score
Did anyone else sign Peters? We tried to start him in the playoffs and he got hurt in the second quarter. Peters is done.
Yeh, I think he's done.
It's a reason why he is still on the streets.

I'd much rather see our rookies take the stage ahead of Peters (Asim at OT) and OG (Richards/Bass) respectively.

Peters cannot bend enuff to play OG, and he's 41 years old and that much slower off the edge.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Because he is 41 years old, and has a lot of wear and tear on his body. He is not capable of being a full time player. He can be a stop gap part time player in case of emergency.

Last year, the Cowboys had an emergency when Tyron Smoth went down unexpectedly just days before the first game of the year. But even then, Peters couldn’t play every down of every game. He was a rotational player.

People get old, and time catches up with every player. Peters may be an option if the Cowboys have a major injury, but he’s not a player you plan on having, unless there is an emergency

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Yeh, I think he's done.
It's a reason why he is still on the streets.

I'd much rather see our rookies take the stage ahead of Peters (Asim at OT) and OG (Richards/Bass) respectively.

Peters cannot bend enuff to play OG, and he's 41 years old and that much slower off the edge.
Let’s see how Chuma plays before we panic off of what Broaddus and Walker say. Those guys evaluation skills are iffy at best.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It took him a long time to get in shape last season. He didn't play over 38% of snaps until game 17.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Ok, that's probably it. Thanks.

Played the full game against the Commanders, played only half the game against Tampa, then was inactive for the SF game.

So despite being on the field for lots of games, only played that one full game against the Commanders.

Deionindahood

Reaction score
Peters is battling osteo arthritis and needs a hip replacement. His arthritis is flaring up again. He should be able to play in 6-8 weeks.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Ok, that's probably it.

Played the full game against the Commanders, played only half the game against Tampa, then was inactive for the SF game.

So despite being on the field for lots of games, only played that one full game against the Commanders.
He is over 40. It’s amazing he played the way that he did.