1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys news ..

Why DirecTV’s NFL Sunday Ticket Might Be Illegal Under Antitrust Law

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Plankton, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country Well-Known Member

4,490 Messages
    5,386 Likes Received
    I'm not going to lie. I love hearing you guys gripe. Makes me feel blessed. I could get all of the Cowboys' games for free over the air (except Monday nights) if I wanted too. Priceless.

Beaumont, Texas.

jwooten15 likes this.
  2. ClappingCarrot

ClappingCarrot Well-Known Member

3,375 Messages
    9,614 Likes Received
    This is my third straight season with Sunday Ticket, but I have no choice because I hate streaming and can't watch Cowboys games in public establishments without making an *** out of myself.

What aggravates me is that you can sign up for Sunday Ticket at any time, but they do not prorate the amount based on how far along in the season we are. The first Cowboys game last season that was not broadcasted in my area (against the Lions), was almost in October, which is when I wanted to add Sunday Ticket, but they take nothing off of the price.

Football is a huge part of my life though, so I'm comfortable with the investment and am certain that I would be spending far more at local bars and social houses racking up tabs to watch.

Roland and DakPresgoat like this.
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

47,069 Messages
    47,451 Likes Received
    If a fan moves out of his home area and does not pay for Sunday Ticket, then his son might never become a football fan; however, if that fan can get his team's game every week, then his son has a high probability of becoming an NFL fan.

Roland likes this.
  4. Wichitaleafs

Wichitaleafs Active Member

155 Messages
    173 Likes Received

Liked "I told my wife to pony up and get Sunday Ticket".

DakPresgoat likes this.
  5. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,950 Messages
    418 Likes Received
    It's the only reason I have it. But this year, I've already decided I'll be streaming the games on Reddit.

We don't even watch DirecTV anymore w/ Kodi, Netflix & Hulu.

If anything we'll end up getting Sling or Youtube TV

HanD and jwooten15 like this.
  6. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

33,232 Messages
    9,260 Likes Received
    Bay area gets about 12 Cowboy games a year. I just walk to a neighborhood sports bar with my son for the others.

7. mahoneybill

mahoneybill Well-Known Member

5,625 Messages
    3,434 Likes Received
    =======

Me too. Have been using Satellite since the 80's and can remember moving to a new house, big dish installed. Line of site blocked by a tree. Climbed it and cut top off. Boom signal acquired.

All we needed was the designator for the satellite the games were on Telstar etc, and rotate the dish to get the games. In the early days no commercials so once in awhile you would hear what the broadcasters heard about the game unfiltered.

Was also able to pick up the Tom Landry show where he ran down that weeks game and the past game.

No real problems with rain, but snow could knock out the signal if too much accumulated on the dish screen. Today with a heavy rain and Direct Tv, its always a challenge. Sometimes you can tune in the non hd signal and still get the broadcast but in a real heavy downpour nothing...

All that said technology has made those big dishes a thing of the past, and only us old time users remember the first joy of getting stuff not broadcast elsewhere.

Bobhaze, DallasEast and Mr_C like this.
  8. Mr_C

Mr_C Carharris2

9,712 Messages
    10,379 Likes Received
    You can and except for the days you want. That’s what I do. For the few Cowboys game that aren’t on here in KY I purchase the daily pass to the ticket. It’s like 45$, but I usually get at least one day for free to try it. Then most years I pay for 2 other days. Looks the same this year.

That’s if I don’t get the whole thing for free which I did last year. And yeah it’s cheaper than a sports bar even by myself. Take the family and it’s double.

9. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Moderator

43,808 Messages
    27,545 Likes Received
    I was a Directv subscriber for almost two decades and loved dish over cable. There were very few times I had any problems with their customer service for anything (i.e. repairs, programming changes, etc.) except for the Ticket. Directv holds a monopoly over the service. Consumers should be afforded more choice. Unfortunately, the issue of choice is not regulated solely to the availability of NFL programming.

10. ThatJerryKid

ThatJerryKid cowboys31

1,226 Messages
    2,783 Likes Received
    If you have the internet, you should not miss any Cowboys games.
    :thumbup:

11. HowardC

HowardC Romo was elite

2,360 Messages
    3,438 Likes Received
    I stream the game if it's not on TV so...

DcFootball4, HanD and pansophy like this.
  12. pansophy

pansophy Well-Known Member

2,448 Messages
    2,495 Likes Received
    The key part of the story that is getting glossed over is the part where “Jerry Jones” can produce the broadcast and distribute that as can all the teams. How are they going to do that given that they outsource all of that to the networks? Is Fox, NBC, ABC, etc going to have to make a deal with each team instead of the league? Given that the cap is based largely on shared TV revenues would the league continue to pool that money, and would they be allowed to?

They broke up AT&T when I was a kid believing phone service would get cheaper — it got more expensive.

Bobhaze likes this.
  13. jedishogun

jedishogun Well-Known Member

838 Messages
    624 Likes Received
    Th
    They would not budge for me either. Ever since AT&T bought Direct TV their customer service has been awful. If it wasn’t for me wanting to watch the Cowboys games I would dump Direct TV in a heartbeat.

Mr_C and Roland like this.
  14. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Well-Known Member

23,499 Messages
    40,203 Likes Received
    One problem with that last para, think any carrier is going to pay Booger his asking price? How do they recover that? The local ad spots the affiliates have now wouldn't allow them to pay to carry the games.

What they should do is what the NFC affiliate did in Memphis when I was there in 1988, put it to a vote of the viewers. They had considered the Cowboys to be their "home team" and when the votes were counted, the Saints knocked the Cowboys out by a very large margin so they changed. Chicago and Phoenix would not have that choice as they have designated home protected teams.

The LA market got lucky with both teams relevant but should they falter, that's going to be a real problem without the access to something like Sunday Ticket because LA was used to getting the best matchups each week.

15. Jipper

Jipper Well-Known Member

4,128 Messages
    6,425 Likes Received
    How did you do that? Do you have to call and set it up? I had no idea there was that option

Mr_C likes this.
  16. DakPresgoat

DakPresgoat Well-Known Member

14,537 Messages
    31,310 Likes Received
    I hear ya. I’m not against Direct TV. But for the first 7 years of my adult life living independently, I rented. So getting a dish wasn’t an option as the land lord wouldn’t allow it. I now own my own home. But I like the provider I had while I rented and wanted and did keep them. So I definitely agree with you that it would be nice for consumers to have more choice.

DallasEast likes this.
  17. jwooten15

jwooten15 Well-Known Member

7,056 Messages
    16,518 Likes Received
    How do you go about doing that?

jedishogun likes this.
  18. InTheZone

InTheZone Well-Known Member

5,812 Messages
    5,204 Likes Received
    I just called to cancel or get a discount and to correct some other questions on my account. Apparently I'm already getting a $15/month discount on a base price around $48/month. I'll call back if I don't see the discount on the next statement.

Generally when I call I'm polite and I'll ask what's the best discount you can give me and if they say something like $5/month off is when I say i know you guys can do better. I'm sure if you actually threaten to cancel they'll give you 50% off.

19. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

15,287 Messages
    12,817 Likes Received
    Never understood why the nfl doesn’t stream Sunday ticket themselves
    Offer a team pkg for your favorite team that’s reasonable. A pkg of a handful of teams and a league pkg
    Cut out the middle man, open it up to more viewers
    The only downside is the loss of tv contracts but having everyone available would surely out weigh what you’d lose in tv contracts

20. glimmerman

glimmerman Well-Known Member

18,154 Messages
    18,897 Likes Received
    Crap. So you ST users aren’t having any luck getting the discounts. I am a month behind this year. My discounts came off my account and they already charged me for my first payment. Bill went up 80 bucks this month. Am planning on using the chat function to get discounts reapplied. They did it last year. If they don’t do it then I will be going to cable. The ST is the ONLY reason I have it. I already have spectrum for my phone and internet. I can add 40 bucks a month more to the bill and have cable. Am paying 100 a month for directv.