Why do the Cowboys always lose the same way in big games?

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Everything is so difficult for the Cowboys offense in big games. Throwing windows seem nonexistent and Dak routinely looks confused/outmatched. A high-powered regular season offense gets stifled in the playoffs. The players look out of position and are very undisciplined. Over and over again.

On the flip side, Cowboys’ opponents’ WRs seem to always be running wide open and the QB seems so sure of himself and making timely and accurate throws. Throwing lanes are huge and running lanes are more like two-lane freeways. Cowboys defense plays timid and lacks the discipline to even keep the team in the game. Over and over again.

My question is, why?

Coaching? Is it all scheme deficiencies on Dallas’ part?

It is more on the players?

Is it culture and an organization that just rewards mediocrity?

I’m genuinely confused how this team can look so bad in the same way, no matter who the coach or players are. For 20+ years, this has been the MO for the Dallas Cowboys.

Does anyone have any constructive suggestions as to why?

What can be done to correct it?

On to the offseason. Enjoyed it, fellas.

droopdog7

Reaction score
This was historically bad, so by definition, it wasn’t the same way

foofighters

Reaction score
Everything is so difficult for the Cowboys offense in big games. Throwing windows seem nonexistent and Dak routinely looks confused/outmatched. A high-powered regular season offense gets stifled in the playoffs. The players look out of position and are very undisciplined. Over and over again.

On the flip side, Cowboys’ opponents’ WRs seem to always be running wide open and the QB seems so sure of himself and making timely and accurate throws. Throwing lanes are huge and running lanes are more like two-lane freeways. Cowboys defense plays timid and lacks the discipline to even keep the team in the game. Over and over again.

My question is, why?

I’m genuinely confused how this team can look so bad in the same way, no matter who the coach or players are. For 20+ years, this has been the MO for the Dallas Cowboys.

Jerry Jones.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Elaborate please. What has Jerry done/what does he do to make these kind of games happen on a regular basis come playoff time?
He hires coaches who need him more than he needs them.

No one wanted Wade Phillips. Wade would do whatever Jerry wanted, without question.

No one wanted McCarthy. Mike did whatever Jerry wanted, without question.

In between, Jerry spent a decade with his adopted son.

The last head coach to work for Jerry and get another NFL head coaching job was Jimmy. There are reasons for that.

75boyz

Reaction score
It was the same. Regardless of “how bad” it was, it was the same scenario we’ve seen for 20 years
HC and QB positions are definitely a dilemma Woot.

We hit that happy medium level of QB performance with first Romo and now Dak and are not capable to overcome playoff level competition from that type of QB talent.

Good but not good enough to beat playoff teams/carry your team over post season competition.

Obviously Garrett wasn't the answer but I would have thought McCarthy could squeeze at least a division win or 2 out of this team.

His GB playoff resume doesn't seem to stand up any better in the playoffs than Dak's. Well, actually it's worse cuz he won the one trophy and all, so I guess I expected more.

Sad but true imo.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He hires coaches who need him more than he needs them.

No one wanted Wade Phillips. Wade would do whatever Jerry wanted, without question.

No one wanted McCarthy. Mike did whatever Jerry wanted, without question.

In between, Jerry spent a decade with his adopted son.

The last head coach to work for Jerry and get another NFL head coaching job was Jimmy. There are reasons for that.
Great points. Appreciate your input

dmaschuck

Reaction score
Because it's scripted that way ya'll really should be getting that by now

kevinhickey

Reaction score

My question is, why?

It’s a little bit of everything from ownership to players and fans believing in the hype and when things go wrong; they go terribly wrong.

foofighters

Reaction score
Elaborate please. What has Jerry done/what does he do to make these kind of games happen on a regular basis come playoff time?
He’s not a leader. He values money and notoriety before winning. But it’s mostly pride. He should not be the GM.

JayFord

Reaction score
they arent built for big moments

they think Talent will carry them in the playoffs...you need grit and determination and something to prove

you have to swing like your life depends on it

KB1122

Reaction score
Because they make excuses and then choose to believe and act on their excuses. It's positively Soviet.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
Leadership, as other have stated. Starts at Jerry and ends with the puppet coaching staff. Unfortunately, his loser son won't fare any better.