Why do the Cowboys not spend money?

DFWJC

Reaction score
I’m serious. I could understand if the plan is to save enough money to sign any of your own free agents that you want to keep. The Cowboys didn’t want Cooper and Gregory? They don’t want Kearse?They have more talented players on the roster than those three? What’s the point if you’re not going to use all the “saved” money to overpay your own free agents so you don’t lose them?
The Cowboys are routinely near the top of the league in spending money.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I’m serious. I could understand if the plan is to save enough money to sign any of your own free agents that you want to keep. The Cowboys didn’t want Cooper and Gregory? They don’t want Kearse?They have more talented players on the roster than those three? What’s the point if you’re not going to use all the “saved” money to overpay your own free agents so you don’t lose them?
They tie up a lot of their cap dollars on bad contracts to their own players.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
What do you mean, we are shopping and not stopping.

BobSacamano

Reaction score
They think they are smarter than anybody else. They use free agency to fill out the depth chart before the draft so they don't have a position of "need".

What they fail to recognize is they are missing golden opportunities to add talent AHEAD of the draft. Adding jags in free agency is a waste of cap room and most will be gone next year anyway.
At least add ONE impact player in free agency. In no way are fans really asking the Cowboys to splurge like the Jacksonville Jagoffs have been but damnit man.

Not you personally. Just saying.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
At least add ONE impact player in free agency. In no way are fans really asking the Cowboys to splurge like the Jacksonville Jagoffs have been but damnit man.

Not you personally. Just saying.
Lets go get Hunter then.

remdak

Reaction score
Like everyone else said, the Cowboys spend money, but they spend it unwisely. They have a RB with an $18 million dollar cap hit this year.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

The Cowboys spend money ON THEIR OWN PLAYERS................problem is that most of them are not worth it.

You have a RB with an $18 mill cap hit, that is actually twice what the franchise tag is for a RB.
You paid your QB top 5 money, but he aint top 5 and probably not even top 10.
You are paying your TE $11 mill on the tag and he is no where even remotely worth that much.

In short, the Cowboys overpay their own players because they think they are much better than they actually are, they cant self scout. Good teams dont do this, sure they might have one or two bad contracts on the books, every team does, but the good teams dont consistently give out bad contracts like the Cowboys do.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Divorces aren't cheap....from what I've heard it's already a done deal...and he's got another non disclosure agreement.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
JJ has to pay for that yacht.................it's not cheap!

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Maybe on an illegitimate child?????? Dam, I'd like to know the answer to this one too, considering they were going to drop a load on Gregory and he jumped ship, so where is that cash being spent???????

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
The salary bores Dak and Zeke and Dlaw have rendered us neutured.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They’ve spent a lot of money on their own players. Dak, DLaw, Zeke and Cooper. Cooper ended up being a cap casualty. Gregory was offered a nice deal but decided to take the same deal in Denver.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Thus far in his career, Stephen Jones has established a reputation as a hard-headed miser.

He's showing signs of extricating himself from that dubious distinction. He'd best keep it up!

NFL history indicates that entering seasons with big cap savings is not a favorable sign. o_O

Today, SJ's latest signings of Washington and Fowler offer hope that he's overcoming it. ;)

Here's hoping that this rather astounding trend could become a regular practice for him! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score

Standard operating procedure for the Dallas Cowboys.

Go into free agency like it's a river of raw sewage. Grab a few floaters that pass by to fill holes.

Draft. Don't be aggressive, stay put.

Pay players you drafted, rinse and repeat. Throw in an occasional trade.

It doesn't look like they want to make moves to win it all, just be a decent to good team. They're ok with that.

Years ago Jerry would make some crazy moves and it got him three straight years of 5-11. I think he wants to avoid that at all costs.

Flamma

Reaction score
The Cowboys are routinely near the top of the league in spending money.

I think the OP is referring to FA. The most infuriating part about the Cowboys standard operating procedure is that it is never altered with the previous season in mind. It's totally separate. Fill holes through FA, and build through the draft. They could go 4-12 or 12-4. SOP doesn't change.

As opposed to......Dallas just went 12-5, what can we do? Are there any free agents that can maybe put us in a better position? Nope.

NoFurtherQuestions

Reaction score
The Yacht isnt going to pay for itself.
The Jones' spending in free agency more to fill up the cap wouldn't make any difference to their own bottom line.

The reason we don't spend big in free agency is because our cap is horribly run because the Jones' are incompetent football people.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
This year has been the most disappointing about not spending money because they have it for a change. Even after the last two days of signings they still have around $20 million. Two signings/trades would make a successful off season.

Sign a strong safety- preferably Jayron Kearse but maybe Terrell Edmunds - it’s a dry market, would be able to sign for around $4 million

Trade for Danielle Hunter - looks to be a little less then $13 million a year for the next 2 years. This contract needs to be restructured because nexts years cap hit would be high but 23 is low.

OR

Sign Zadarius Smith - offer the Gregory contract, $14 million a year.

silvernblu

Reaction score
They need to discover the right balance between short and long term contracts.

Long term let’s you restructure and push money back. But they also need to spend what they save in the upfront years or it’s just wasted.