Why do the players love Jerry Jones?

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I get that a lot of fans cannot stand Jerry Jones. But if Jerry is such a POS, then why do his players love him so much? At the Press Conference announcing that DeMarcus Ware is going into the Ring of Honor, Ware called Jerry his "Dad." When asked about Jerry, Ware said, "The truth of the matter is he is an awesome person."

See the 13:21 mark on this video.

I remember Larry Allen talking about Jerry in reverential terms in his Hall of Fame speech, and calling Jerry a great man. Multiple HOF Cowboys have said the same thing about Jerry. Very few of them talk about Jimmy in the same way. Even Troy Aikman, who is very close to Jimmy, talks about feeling betrayed by Jimmy when he left the Cowboys. He talked about how Jimmy demanded sacrifice from the players, but wasn't willing to make a sacrifice himself.

I'm not in awe of Jerry Jones. I don't know the man, and he's not been very good at getting back to a Super Bowl after the teams Jimmy built got old. But I don't think Jimmy deserves the honor some want to give him. I acknowlege Jimmy's talent. But he backstabbed Jerry and his players. And before that, he backstabbed the President of the University of Miami. He backstabbed his wife, unceremoniously dumping her after she supported him through his career. Jimmy is a thoroughly dishonorable man.

But player after player after player after player continue to sing the praises of Jerry Jones the man. Fans may be justified in being unimpressed with Jerry the GM of the Cowboys. But if you believe the players who have played for him, he is a much better person than Jimmy Johnson, and maybe some fans ought to be willing to acknowledge that Jerry must have done something to earn the honor, respect and love of those who've played for him.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I get that a lot of fans cannot stand Jerry Jones. But if Jerry is such a POS, then why do his players love him so much? At the Press Conference announcing that DeMarcus Ware is going into the Ring of Honor, Ware called Jerry his "Dad." When asked about Jerry, Ware said, "The truth of the matter is he is an awesome person."

I remember Larry Allen talking about Jerry in reverential terms in his Hall of Fame speech, and calling Jerry a great man. Multiple HOF Cowboys have said the same thing about Jerry. Very few of them talk about Jimmy in the same way. Even Troy Aikman, who is very close to Jimmy, talks about feeling betrayed by Jimmy when he left the Cowboys. He talked about how Jimmy demanded sacrifice from the players, but wasn't willing to make a sacrifice himself.

I'm not in awe of Jerry Jones. I don't know the man, and he's not been very good at getting back to a Super Bowl after the teams Jimmy built got old. But I don't think Jimmy deserves the honor some want to give him. I acknowlege Jimmy's talent. But he backstabbed Jerry and his players. And before that, he backstabbed the President of the University of Miami. He backstabbed his wife, unceremoniously dumping her after she supported him through his career. Jimmy is a thoroughly dishonorable man.

But player after player after player after player continue to sing the praises of Jerry Jones the man. Fans may be justified in being unimpressed with Jerry the GM of the Cowboys. But if you believe the players who have played for him, he is a much better person than Jimmy Johnson, and maybe some fans ought to be willing to acknowledge that Jerry must have done something to earn the honor, respect and love of those who've played for him.

Jerry sacrifices all for the good of his team...and his people benefit from that.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
For us fans, as you said - Jimmy basically built the team that got us Super Bowls...Jerry not so much...so very simple why fans love Jimmy over Jerry.

We dont know what goes on behind closes doors so we truly dont know who the "better" person is.

The players - yes I'm sure they loved Jerry more, he payed and treated them well, where Jimmy had to be hard on them to make them better players.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Easy answer . Cause the buck stops with Jethro not the HC. It’s the most dysfunctional situation in the NFL.

Players can run rough shot over the HC and ultimately get their ways with the owner .

Our owner runs Cowboys Football thru the eyes of a fan.

All why he’s the biggest obstacle for our franchise to overcome .

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
For us fans, as you said - Jimmy basically built the team that got us Super Bowls...Jerry not so much...so very simple why fans love Jimmy over Jerry.

We dont know what goes on behind closes doors so we truly dont know who the "better" person is.

The players - yes I'm sure they loved Jerry more, he payed and treated them well, where Jimmy had to be hard on them to make them better players.
One can't hide sticking by your players...either from head coach or owner. Jimmy, short termed retained his team direction. Long termed, he didn't last...for a reason. That reason isn't hidden by viewers not seeing it directly.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Just look how much better this team is when we’ve had HC’s like Parcells and McCarthy.

Imagine if we had the same caliber in the Front Office .

CCBoy

Reaction score
Just look how much better this team is when we’ve had HC’s like Parcells and McCarthy.

Imagine if we had the same caliber experience in the Front Office .
There has been wide spread additions throughout the organization and by experienced people all over the place....already.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Easy answer . Cause the buck stops with Jethro not the HC. It’s the most dysfunctional situation in the NFL.

Players can run rough shot over the HC and ultimately get their ways with the owner .

Our owner runs Cowboys Football thru the eyes of a fan. And why he’s the biggest obstacle for our franchise to overcome .
Nope, authority can not be delegated...and isn't.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There has been wide spread additions throughout the organization and by experienced people all over the place....already.
But not at the two most important positions of leadership at VP and GM.

Why do we continue to think an 80 year old and his son are a better option than what the rest of the league is doing ?

Last edited:

CowboysRule

Reaction score
You look at Jerry through the eyes of a fan. You have no personal interaction with him. You just see no Super Bowls and he's easy to blame and not going anywhere until he dies.

Players are not just fans. They actually interact and know Jerry as a person. From all accounts, he may not be the best football guy but he's a great person. Perfect? No. But no one is.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
This is so obvious are you actually serious? Jerry is the parent who lets their kids get away with everything. The teachers do everything they can but the child knows when they get home their will be no consequences and they will get all the ice cream they want. Jerry is desperate for his players to love him. It is a big part of our many problems.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Jerry would choos the love of his players over winning. He has done so many many times. It is just about the worst quality you can possibly have in a GM.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Jerry is like the rest of us except I don't think any of us are billionaires. He has flaws. IMO he can be an azz (about Jimmy), he drinks too much and then shows his azz, he's disgraced his wedding vows . But as with me AND you the bad comes with good. The good is different in us all as is our bad. Jerry has a good side.

He came from a middle class upbringing, he grew up in Arkansas which its deep South characteristics and say what you will but that will make one somewhat humble and caring about others. He cares about people and it comes across as genuine. That's a good trait. Players/people know when folks are pizzing down your back and then telling you its raining. Well, Jerry isn't one of those folks. I've heard other stories of good character about him even before he owned our team. And he stands by his guys . . . that's good stuff right there!

Now I'm no rah rah for Jerry. I truly believed he killed the goose that laid the golden egg when he screwed up the Jimmy thing AND continues to do it. I, as a die hard, almost 60 year fan, resent Jerry for this pretty deeply! He is prideful and with no give on the Jimmy ROH thingy and that is an extreme weakness of character. Jimmy helped make Jerry richer too.

Hard not to like the guy I suppose. I'd also say most of the players that dote on Jerry are not sophisticated discerners of character or the character flaws that Jerry has doesn't matter to them that much. If he didn't meddle, want to be seen as a pro football guru (pride) and try to suck up the limelight he'd be an almost perfect owner.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Fans are spoiled. Players arent

Kwyn

Reaction score
Jerry, by all accounts, truly does care, on a personal level, for his players and coaches. He’s respectful, compensates them well, provides the very best tools and resources to help them be successful and then stands by them when things go bad.

It’s really pretty simple.

The hate he gets is mainly because we haven’t won in a long time and there are those old school folks who will never forgive him for buying the team and firing Landry.

He also says some goofy and wrong headed things sometimes that makes people bang their heads against the wall.

The twenty years of being too hands on was also probably a detriment, but it’s obvious to anyone who is paying attention, that for quite sometime, he’s taken more of a showman and figurehead role and let the coaches, McClay and Stephen run the team.

As to him and Jimmy, I’m aligned with your thoughts. Tremendous competitor, great eye for talent with the ability to develop that talent, and, a great leader for the short term.

But, he’s a pretty miserable person when it comes to how he treats people.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

It’s all about the structural discipline . It’s something we lost with Jimmy. Bill tried to establish again but Jethro continued to undermine .

It’s why we struggle rehabbing problem players and or risk draft picks flounder. No structural discipline . The pecking order is out of sorts with the buck not stopping with the HC.

Jethro is like these players Sugar Daddy. Lol

MyFairLady

Reaction score
People like Jaylon Smith and Tyrone Crawford view our GM like he is a god. That should tell you just about everything you need to know.