Why do we continue to do the same old thing?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Everyone in the world knew we needed defensive linemen and safeties. Even folks who are clueless or aren't Cowboys fans knew we brought in so many street guys last year that it was a joke. We haven't had a field general at the safety position since Woody left. With that being said, why does it surprise me that we only picked TWO defensive linemen in this draft, and another guy who most likely won't make the roster at Safety? We should have went DL, S, DL, S, DL, DL, DL, DL, S, DL in this draft. Will Martin be good, if not great? He has a good chance, but OL was one of our strengths last year. Will Street even get to see the field with Dez, Williams, Beasley, Harris, and now Byrd on the roster? We lost two of our best defensive players on a team that only had four or five good defensive players on the roster. Everyone on this board, everyone that is a Cowboys fan in general, every anylist on TV or Radio, and even our own coaches have said we had to draft an entire defensive line this year. YET WE ONLY DRAFT 2 GUYS on the DL..........This my fellow Cowboys fans is why we continue to have these issues year after year. What gives???

Oh my bro..

Didn't you get the memo?

We just signed Spencer and Melton..

both of whom have been to the Pro Bowl more than once each..

and within the last year or so..too.

Despite their rehab.

And we drafted at least 2 more guys that will stick because Marinelli does a DL rotation spin that margaritas would envy.

So I'm sure this year will be WAY more productive than last year.

I mean..hey.

we only get one #1pick each year.

Zack is going to be all NFC as a rookie.

So will Frederick at center. And Smith at OT.

I mean is it really far to complain when the team finally gets stuff right elsewhere that isn't defense?

Me?

I'm pleased with what I see.

Romo is my biggest concern.

Not DL.

Just my 2 cents.

Over to you.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Have to admit, I thought we'd take at least one more dlineman fairly early.

There were only two ways that could have happened; either pass on Martin and trade down or not trade up and lose that 3rd rounder in the 2nd. Do both of those and we have 4 picks in the 1st rounds instead of two.

But the legit argument would be, would those 4 be as useful to us long term as Martin and Lawrence?

Guess we'll find out

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I've had about enough of this nonsense. Ya'll get busy picking up all of those pieces of sky that fell all over the damn place.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Go more DL then we did? More safety then we did? 5 players drafted for front 7, 4 players drafted in the trenches including 2 first round talents. 2 DBs that have great upside. I'm not even including the guys we got that can make this roster that wasnt drafted.

Wow how you can hate a draft including UDFA as good as we got?

Not including Melton, Mincey, McClain, Spencer plus Crawford and Bass coming back from injury. We actually have had a great offseason and wouldn't be surprised if some vets get cut due to their team drafting players.

Cowboys fans complain about everything. Jerry never drafts OL, Jerry never listens to anybody and drafts shiny toys (JF), we don't invest in the trenches, we sign to many FAs, we want active in FA.... on and on. Let this play out first dang people cmon

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
This does not seem like a good draft for the boys at all. But I guess time will tell. We got 1 maybe 2 starters and special teams players. I think only like 3 will make the 53.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ken Bishop is such a bearded stud that he clearly is worth TWO D Lineman himself.
I think this kid is going to be a beast in time.

Rainy

Reaction score
8-8 8-8 8-8 8-8 8-8....

-in after 8-8 response
-inb4 "I've been fan since glory days i know what winning teams are"
-inb4 Jerry remarks
-inb4 Garrett remarks
-inb4 we'll regret Manziel

I'm sure I missed a few but the season hasn't started yet and our "fans" are already throwing in the towel. They'll go silent or be skeptical when positive reports come from training camp and such. Then when the reason rolls around, they'll tune in every Sunday hoping something bad happens so they can come on here and satisfy their self-fulfilling prophecy

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Did they watch any of our games? If they did, they should not be comfortable with what we rolled out there. Safety play was terrible. It's why so many receivers ran wild in our secondary.

You're looking at things backwards.

Receivers ran wild in our secondary because there was little to no pressure coming from up front.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
-in after 8-8 response
-inb4 "I've been fan since glory days i know what winning teams are"
-inb4 Jerry remarks
-inb4 Garrett remarks
-inb4 we'll regret Manziel

I'm sure I missed a few but the season hasn't started yet and our "fans" are already throwing in the towel. They'll go silent or be skeptical when positive reports come from training camp and such. Then when the reason rolls around, they'll tune in every Sunday hoping something bad happens so they can come on here and satisfy their self-fulfilling prophecy
Sounds like you've been here a while.

Rainy

Reaction score
Sounds like you've been here a while.

Sadly, I discovered this forum last season right around draft time. It was fun to get news about your favorite team and updates throughout the pre-season but it only took me a few weeks to realize how half our "fans" act

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Everyone in the world knew we needed defensive linemen and safeties. Even folks who are clueless or aren't Cowboys fans knew we brought in so many street guys last year that it was a joke. We haven't had a field general at the safety position since Woody left. With that being said, why does it surprise me that we only picked TWO defensive linemen in this draft, and another guy who most likely won't make the roster at Safety? We should have went DL, S, DL, S, DL, DL, DL, DL, S, DL in this draft. Will Martin be good, if not great? He has a good chance, but OL was one of our strengths last year. Will Street even get to see the field with Dez, Williams, Beasley, Harris, and now Byrd on the roster? We lost two of our best defensive players on a team that only had four or five good defensive players on the roster. Everyone on this board, everyone that is a Cowboys fan in general, every anylist on TV or Radio, and even our own coaches have said we had to draft an entire defensive line this year. YET WE ONLY DRAFT 2 GUYS on the DL..........This my fellow Cowboys fans is why we continue to have these issues year after year. What gives???

8-8 teams draft and act like 8-8 teams do....winners draft and play like winners.... there is always hope that things get fixed but after 17plus years....it is what its...making the playoffs are the new goals....not winning superbowls.....nothing that hasn't been said before and will be said again this season....happens every year.....

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
Lawrence, Bishop, Gardner and picked up at least 3 DL in FA. We'll have 16 for mini camp on Monday. How many more do you want? People keep forgetting Bass and Crawford are like draft picks Bc they didn't play last year.

Not to mention we resigned A. Spencer

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Not to mention we resigned A. Spencer

Count me as one that doesn't think Spencer will be 100% til October then has to retrain his knee to perform football moves. Maybe he can come on around Thanksgiving. Start him on PUP this year.

Deep_South

Reaction score
Once one comes to grips with the realization that our D was too far gone to fix with a single draft, the Martin pick becomes much easier to understand and embrace.