Why does a Title tend to change a lot of people?

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
It's strange to me and i don't see the purpose. Should you not accept a new title as who you are, experience,schooling and what you have accomplished to that point? If that make sense, then why do people diminish the very attributes that put them in position to receive advancement?

I want to be very approachable and light heart-ed. I try to self-entitle my people,encourage and share up's and downs on equal levels. If there is a training moment i approach it as if i'm talking to myself. If there is a serious moment i let them speak first. I never start the conversation angry. I always start with lets work through this together when i have the opportunity.

Now, can some people take kindness as weakness?. You betcha and that is the rare occasion you might have to make an example of your seriousness. However, in most if not all cases, that example comes off as being the problem because of the way you approached it.

I have ranted to this point mostly because i just needed to express my disbelief in the need to Dominate, demean, and belittle others to gain dominance. When the common goal is to grow and enjoy what you do. It can only be beneficial to all parties evolved. A lot of us spend 1/3 of our life at work ,and to some can feel like 1/2.:laugh: .

I have a new Dock/Warehouse manager that has lost his mind. (No Name) has been with us for 8 years and I've only been there 4 in May. He has started to get chippy with the Installers. He refused a shipment of tile Wednesday because he had not finished his lunch break. He left 15min early Friday and I myself unloaded the truck of Hardwood even when the driver called and apologize for tire troubles. He also told our receptionist/Book keeper he didn't need to justify his clock in time anymore because turning on the lights and turning off the alarm was not in his job description anymore. He comes in at 7:00 and we open for walk in business at 9:00.

Oh, well, it's going to be a LONG ride:facepalm::facepalm::( into work Monday. it takes me about 45mins...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Yeah, lots of people are like that. Power can change people.

It's really like anything else though. Either you have a person of good character, or you don't. You have those that think only of themselves, and those that understand that it takes a community to thrive.

The #1 thing I look at when I'm hiring someone is their character. You can have the greatest skilled person at whatever position in existence, but if he is of low character. You won't ever be able to depend they way you should. I will take an average skilled guy of high character over the most skilled guy of low character every time.

...and I can't tell you how true it is when they say don't judge a man by what he says, judge him by what he does. Most men are liars, so look at their history. Not what they constantly tell you is true.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Not many people are equipped to be real leaders. Most change because they feel inadequate about their abilities. They feel another co-worker can do their job better. So they want the position but they feel as if they are not going to have it long. Hence the attitude change.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Not many people are equipped to be real leaders. Most change because they feel inadequate about their abilities. They feel another co-worker can do their job better. So they want the position but they feel as if they are not going to have it long. Hence the attitude change.
Thanks for the input, however if that is indeed the case , someone chose wrong to start. I've had managers when i was younger i would run into a wall for and some i wouldn't pee on if on fire. Those life lessons taught me the difference between a "Leader" and a "Dictator". I choose higher ground.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's strange to me and i don't see the purpose. Should you not accept a new title as who you are, experience,schooling and what you have accomplished to that point? If that make sense, then why do people diminish the very attributes that put them in position to receive advancement?

I want to be very approachable and light heart-ed. I try to self-entitle my people,encourage and share up's and downs on equal levels. If there is a training moment i approach it as if i'm talking to myself. If there is a serious moment i let them speak first. I never start the conversation angry. I always start with lets work through this together when i have the opportunity.

Now, can some people take kindness as weakness?. You betcha and that is the rare occasion you might have to make an example of your seriousness. However, in most if not all cases, that example comes off as being the problem because of the way you approached it.

I have ranted to this point mostly because i just needed to express my disbelief in the need to Dominate, demean, and belittle others to gain dominance. When the common goal is to grow and enjoy what you do. It can only be beneficial to all parties evolved. A lot of us spend 1/3 of our life at work ,and to some can feel like 1/2.:laugh: .

I have a new Dock/Warehouse manager that has lost his mind. (No Name) has been with us for 8 years and I've only been there 4 in May. He has started to get chippy with the Installers. He refused a shipment of tile Wednesday because he had not finished his lunch break. He left 15min early Friday and I myself unloaded the truck of Hardwood even when the driver called and apologize for tire troubles. He also told our receptionist/Book keeper he didn't need to justify his clock in time anymore because turning on the lights and turning off the alarm was not in his job description anymore. He comes in at 7:00 and we open for walk in business at 9:00.

Oh, well, it's going to be a LONG ride:facepalm::facepalm::( into work Monday. it takes me about 45mins...
In my last company, my employees would get frustrated dealing with other companies and clients who would dismiss them or their requests thinking they were just bottom-level employees (when they were not), so I told them all to start adding "Vice-president of " to their company titles and its funny how that solved most of those situations. Even our office manager was Vice-president of Office Management .. :D

At the end of the day, every person in your company matters to its success either through what they provide that you cannot or what they do that you do not want to do.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
In my last company, my employees would get frustrated dealing with other companies and clients who would dismiss them or their requests thinking they were just bottom-level employees (when they were not), so I told them all to start adding "Vice-president of " to their company titles and its funny how that solved most of those situations. Even our office manager was Vice-president of Office Management .. :D

At the end of the day, every person in your company matters to its success either through what they provide that you cannot or what they do that you do not want to do.
I'm guessing distribution and sales was more of that issue. You are completely correct when it doesn't involve in-house employees. hell, I've told disturbers before i was the Owner to get what i wanted. I was totally in favor of what my owner would say anyway, i just cut out time and the middle man.

Total other case when dealing with every day folks. Size matters as well, because when it becomes under Corporate. Now, you are on your own.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
your gonna have to elaborate a little bro...

Personally I would not care what others say or think as long as i live by the kind rules as much as I can. Life should be lived in balance without going too extreme.
always remember whatever you accumulate and achieve in this temporary existence can be gone or taken from you in an instant.

Think of this balance this way:

Your body represents a CD player
Your mind represents the CD
Your soul represents the music

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
People tend to show respect for a "title" even though they may not respect the person in the position.
agreed but if you are in charge do you want to be known as cowboy_ron or A-Hole ron that we are not helping get his next bonus?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm guessing distribution and sales was more of that issue. You are completely correct when it doesn't involve in-house employees. hell, I've told disturbers before i was the Owner to get what i wanted. I was totally in favor of what my owner would say anyway, i just cut out time and the middle man.

Total other case when dealing with every day folks. Size matters as well, because when it becomes under Corporate. Now, you are on your own.
That's true, Random User #472934534 .. :D

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, however if that is indeed the case , someone chose wrong to start. I've had managers when i was younger i would run into a wall for and some i wouldn't pee on if on fire. Those life lessons taught me the difference between a "Leader" and a "Dictator". I choose higher ground.
It sounds like he won't last long tbh or they will leave the title and neuter his power...that stuff seeps upstairs to the bigger types.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
It sounds like he won't last long tbh or they will leave the title and neuter his power...that stuff seeps upstairs to the bigger types.
There is a time and place for all things. The size is a key to the direct chain of command and is necessary at times and then again not.

I'll leave you with an extreme case. I once got high enough on the latter a few year ago before i left corporate (*&^$%) to see this information. The president of said company got 111,000 shares of company stock as 1/4 bonus. Now, I got 1,500.00 dollars as i made full bonus and showed a growth of around 26% for said time.

To translate, this is how it went down. When you are that high you can buy stock at a 1/4 of the going rate. So, he used that stock along with others he had accumulated and sold 338,000 shares a full market value. 29.883.000.00 dollars in one day.

Now here's the kicker:..... He bought back 350,000 shares at 1/4 rate made 19,000,000.00 dollars and kept this shares.

Yet, that company has part timers and people making under 10.00 and hour that struggle to feed their families and has to ask for government assistance.

it was just too much for me.....