Why does an athlete need $30m instead of $20m?

Birdgang

Reaction score
There are soccer players in Europe making the equivalent of more than $100 million per year.

The new CBA is coming, so I think Jerry and Stephen want to overpay now so they've got a bargain in 3 years.
As much as we love NFL here in the USA ..... Soccer is a worldwide sport and makes the NFL look like a dot in a Georges Seurat

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Sadly, I agree with you. But ultimately, it is the player's decision.
It is. But I have a theory on that. These coaches get ahold to these players when they are young and impressionable. They teach them at a young age that football is more important than your life. You should die on that field.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Sure, but the market is going to pay what the market is going to pay. In terms a guy like Dak, how does holding out for 30 mil plus help him if the market is at 25? I mean, we can dance around this all night and through tomorrow but a player is only going to get what a team is willing to pay.
Why is his market 25, or is that his "market" according to you? The market is what the team willing to pay, not what you're willing to pay.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
But then the fan base deteriorates and you no longer get the product you pay so much for. When the fan base goes, so do the big dollars and so do a lot of things. So to me, that's not a wise way of looking at it. I mean, you are free to look at it how you want but, saying that the players should get cradle to grave healthcare is a good idea and that it should cost them anything is a direct expense that will be passed on to the fans. You wanna take on that burden, that's fine but many will not and those who do not, should not be forced to IMO. That's not part of what they are paying for. They are paying to watch a game. That's it.
You may have me confused with another poster. I stated these guys are paid very well for what they do and they should be picking up their own helathcare costs. The problem is these guys do not plan for their futures. They are great athletes, and many are extremely smart and plan, but MANY of these guys are not that smart and do not plan at all. Thus when they are in their 40s they are broke and looking to the NFL to bail them out.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But that is their choice , they had to chance to better themselves at think long term not just right now. Even so they can do while in NFL because the have plenty of time. Even easier today with online classes.

Of course it's their choice, but everyone has choices to make. That's not unique to NFL players.

And really, what does this have to do with their pay as NFL players. Once they become NFL players why would their be anything wrong with expecting to get paid a competative rate for their services?

glimmerman

Reaction score
You may have me confused with another poster. I stated these guys are paid very well for what they do and they should be picking up their own helathcare costs. The problem is these guys do not plan for their futures. They are great athletes, and many are extremely smart and plan, but MANY of these guys are not that smart and do not plan at all. Thus when they are in their 40s they are broke and looking to the NFL to bail them out.
Yeah I think it’s 5 years accrued and they get some pretty nice benefits. Including pretty cheap health care for them and there families. And retirements. My guess is after the next CBA the pot will be sweetened.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It is. But I have a theory on that. These coaches get ahold to these players when they are young and impressionable. They teach them at a young age that football is more important than your life. You should die on that field.

It's not a theory, I mean I lived it. That starts from the time you start playing any kind of competitive ball. Here's the thing though, players know what the NFL is about before they ever get there. It's not a shock and yet, you still have guys who would wait in line from here to the moon to play.

erod

Reaction score
No doubt if they got away with 32-33 million now then wrap it up. If they are really really convinced in him for franchise then make it a 7 year deal.

I don't think they're actually convinced as much as they have no other options, and Jerry is too old for a rebuild.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I don't think they're actually convinced as much as they have no other options, and Jerry is too old for a rebuild.
Maybe he bought his yacht for his retirement and is turning it over to SJ soon. :lmao2:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Why is his market 25, or is that his "market" according to you? The market is what the team willing to pay, not what you're willing to pay.

Yes, that is the number I used. I have consistently said that I thought his number was 25-28. As to the team willing to pay, not me, well it's pretty clear that the team doesn't seem to be willing to pay 30 plus right? If they were, the deal would already be done so now that this is established, what now. Where you going with this?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Name me a team in the NFL that isnt doing all they can to win? Every GM hired, every coach, and every player bust their ***** to win. There is just no way to gaurantee wins in t a league designed to keep everyone about the same. This is the exact reason a team like the Rams goes from worst to first, and it happens damn near every single season. There was a time when a WC team could pretty much be assured of an *** whoopin in their first game. Not anymore. A WC team has just as much a shot at the SB as the number 1 seed.
The mere basis they implemented a Salary Cap was the first signal they placed profit above winning.

And I didn’t say they weren’t trying to win. It’s just not the priority or driving force to generating revenue. The only professional league where every team is making money now. That didn’t happen by accident.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Perhaps I do. If so, I apologies. In terms of the players, I suspect that you are absolutely right about that. There are those who don't plan but then again, there are those who do not plan in the everyday working class either and they get what they get. NFL players are more physically talented then a normal everyday person but they are not better or more entitled, per say. I don't believe the fans should be on the hook for paying for their heath benefits but that's what will happen if that's negotiated in the CBA.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Plus, there you are.....in Arlington. Only reason to stay in Arlington is if you got shot and couldn't make it to Dallas or Fort Worth.
Well, there’s some very nice outlying surburban areas. Mainly north.. But yea

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, that is the number I used. I have consistently said that I thought his number was 25-28. As to the team willing to pay, not me, well it's pretty clear that the team doesn't seem to be willing to pay 30 plus right? If they were, the deal would already be done so now that this is established, what now. Where you going with this?
We actually do not know that the team isn't willing to pay $30MM. There is a negotiation going on, and the holdup could be in Dak asking for 30 and the Cowboys offering 25-28, or it could be in Dak asking 32, and the Cowboys offering 30, or it could be something different than either of those. And it could even be that the sides are agreed on $30MM, but haven't agreed on the number of years or on how much guaranteed money will be included in the deal

glimmerman

Reaction score
We actually do not know that the team isn't willing to pay $30MM. There is a negotiation going on, and the holdup could be in Dak asking for 30 and the Cowboys offering 25-28, or it could be in Dak asking 32, and the Cowboys offering 30, or it could be something different than either of those. And it could even be that the sides are agreed on $30MM, but haven't agreed on the number of years or on how much guaranteed money will be included in the deal
Daks agent asking for 34.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
No, they may die of something else that the odd Football Player might not die of. It might be from a heart attack, sitting at their desk or what have you. The point is that nobody is pointing a gun to anybodies head and making anybody do this. You can't use the argument that a ball player might suffer from concussion syndrome and that somehow that makes them more deserving because they are making a conscious decision to do that all on their own. They are receiving benefits for it, long after their careers are over. That doesn't make them more deserving of receiving a more lucrative contract then a guy who is simply better or more experience or what have you. That's just not reasonable.
We’re talking about risk not what you think somebody deserves.
Football players take more risks than owners or fans for that matter.
Either way Dak will get paid the market value for a QB with his skills and record whether you think it’s deserved or not.
If not by Jerry then by somebody else but he’ll end up very well compensated.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Absolutely true but I ask you, would you pay 30 if you knew that nobody else was out there willing to pay 30? Because I absolutely think that's where we are at with Dak. I don't think there is a team out there and I've done some homework here. I can't really find justification for another team doing this.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
We’re talking about risk not what you think somebody deserves.
Football players take more risks than owners or fans for that matter.
Either way Dak will get paid the market value for a QB with his skills and record whether you think it’s deserved or not.
If not by Jerry then by somebody else but he’ll end up very well compensated.

No, you are dead wrong. We are talking about business here.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When the new CBA hits, it's said that QBs like Mahomes will probably be making $50+ million a year.

At that point, if not already, it's not really about football anymore. These teams and players will be so careful, they'll barely touch the field. Guys will sit out with literally any minor injury they get so they don't risk future contract potential. It'll be over as we know it.
It pretty much already is. It’s Entertainment Sports at the highest level. We’re just all so addicted to NFL it’s very difficult to wain ourselves off of it.

It’s still my favorite time of year and I only attend Amateur level now . But I watch probably 25 hours a week of football on 5 TV’s on the weekend. That’s addiction. And still try to attend a game on Friday and occasionally on Saturday.

If it wasn’t for my interest in the Cowboys I’d probably lost more interest in the NFL. It’s become so commercial with all the rule changes and stoppage for review after every score and almost every play.

While Amateur football doesn’t have the greatest athletes it’s still the purest form and simplicity of the game with century old rivalries in stadiums on the most part I attended with my father and grandfather .

Last edited: