Why does an athlete need $30m instead of $20m?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It seems the prices for it goes up every year. I understand cost of living going up. I quit buying jerseys and hats a while back. And if they don’t discount my Sunday Ticket then I won’t get it anymore. It not so much that I can afford it. But when your looking at it as a whole then I just don’t want to pay it. Or sacrifice something else to get it. At some point it’s just enough.

Yeah. I've a feeling that you are not alone there.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
And they've failed to do the single most important thing for the growth of the sport, they can't get the 18-34 males in without promoting fantasy and the gambling edge. These young guys would rather spend that 3.5 hours playing video games and record football and time shift 3.5 hours into 45 minutes.

The sign was given to them through ABC moving MNF to ESPN because they were losing the 18-34 males's to wrestling on Turner. That was before the CTE movement and a lot of parents not letting their sons play football.

Do they think they are adding anything to this with guys making more in one game that the average Joe will in a lifetime and hearing one of these aholes talk about taking care of their family? What the hell does that awesome person, that never worked a day in his life, know about what these people do to sacrifice for their families?

I would be a hell of a lot happier if they stop making public what they make and stop interviewing them about anything but the game just played or the one coming up.

I agree. Players would be wise to limit their exposure, in terms of salaries and the numbers being reported but they will never do that because they equate money with how they view themselves. It is hard for a great many fans to look at these guys and identify with them, I agree.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No you started talking about risk which is what my initial post was about.
And either way Dak will get paid!
Mark it!

No, I did not bring up risk. Another poster did that. I simply said that the days of NFL football being life threatening, outside of existential circumstances are over. The game is no longer that way.

Nobody ever said Dak wouldn't get paid. The question is, how much should the team pay. That's what's being discussed in this thread.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I realize who you are talking about. I've looked at each situation but I don't see any of those teams doing anything this season. As I said in my post earlier, you can look at next season and say, there might be a market but, that means that Dak is playing for 2 million this year. It means that he could not start making more money till next season. Mean time, he misses out on a new contract this year and all the money that goes along with that. That's money he never sees again. It's not good business for Dak to simply wait till next year. It's not like he's making 20 mil now and holding out for 30 mil. He's making 2 mil this season with no new contract. He'd be throwing away a great deal of money if he didn't sign a deal this year.

So no, these are not reasonable possibilities for this season, as you suggest. These teams have already made most of their moves. It's very unlikely that they can do what you suggest before the 2020 season and as I've already explained, that means that Dak misses out on a great deal of money by waiting. You say I'm planning as if everything goes a certain way. Well, it's a hard cap so it does go a certain way, in terms of available cap. You, in turn, are acting as if that is not the case and it is. You are naming teams that have little to know room to swing a deal this year, let alone next year. And lets keep in mind that the Cowboys are not simply going to just let Dak walk away. It's likely to cost whichever team the 30 plus mil and draft picks to sign Dak because the Cowboys will tag him IMO.

You are being unrealistic. That's not how it works. Teams don't get to pay less than market value by telling a player they will start his contract a year earlier than they are forced to. It didn't work that way with Wentz, and it doesn't work that way with others.

Besides, how would Dak be losing out if he waits a year? He would still get at least the same contract in a year - probably a lot more as the market will just continue to go up, plus at that time his negotiating position will be greater as free agency will be imminent. So, he wouldn't lose, he would just defer the big payday by a year, and probably end up with an even bigger payday.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You are being unrealistic. That's not how it works. Teams don't get to pay less than market value by telling a player they will start his contract a year earlier than they are forced to. It didn't work that way with Wentz, and it doesn't work that way with others.

Besides, how would Dak be losing out if he waits a year? He would still get at least the same contract in a year - probably a lot more as the market will just continue to go up, plus at that time his negotiating position will be greater as free agency will be imminent. So, he wouldn't lose, he would just defer the big payday by a year, and probably end up with an even bigger payday.

Really? It absolutely worked that way with Wentz. You can color it up any way you want but the bottom line is that he is getting paid 25 to 27 mil annually over the next 6 years.

Do the math, if Dak plays for 2 mil this year, he is losing out on a lot of money. He never ever gets that money back. You are betting a lot on the fact that there is another team out there who values Dak more then we do. I just don't believe that. Even if there is one, he still loses all the money he could be making this year. If that's the case, then I'm fine with it. Let another team pay him Wilson money and send us 2 number ones and we can go out and draft another young QB next season. Maybe we can go out and sign a guy like Dalton for a season or two while we develop a young guy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree. Players would be wise to limit their exposure, in terms of salaries and the numbers being reported but they will never do that because they equate money with how they view themselves. It is hard for a great many fans to look at these guys and identify with them, I agree.
I’m not sure why fans take so much issue with these players salaries.

They don’t take the same issue with an actor earning 25 million for one film or a musician earning tens of millions on a tour or CD.

These professional athletes are of similar celebrity status for our entertainment.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Unless he stunk up the season or a major injury. What if he gets hurt and our backup leads us to a championship. Just saying..There are some factors which could lead to his value decreasing.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really? It absolutely worked that way with Wentz. You can color it up any way you want but the bottom line is that he is getting paid 25 to 27 mil annually over the next 6 years.

Do the math, if Dak plays for 2 mil this year, he is losing out on a lot of money. He never ever gets that money back. You are betting a lot on the fact that there is another team out there who values Dak more then we do. I just don't believe that. Even if there is one, he still loses all the money he could be making this year. If that's the case, then I'm fine with it. Let another team pay him Wilson money and send us 2 number ones and we can go out and draft another young QB next season. Maybe we can go out and sign a guy like Dalton for a season or two while we develop a young guy.

You aren't talking apples to apples. Wentz 's contract was described by the team as 4 years at $128MM, and what we are talking about with Dak is something that will be described in a similar fashion. If there is something built into the deal that allows it to be spread out in a different manner than the team and press conference conveyed, there is nothing to say it may not work that way with Dak.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unless he stunk up the season or a major injury. What if he gets hurt and our backup leads us to a championship. Just saying..There are some factors which could lead to his value decreasing.

That is at least something of a risk. But there is a certainty that salaries will keep rising, and the team obviously expects Dak to play well, so if Dak stays healthy the team will either have to pay a lot more than it would this year, or let him walk as a free agent.

The best thing for both sides is to be reasonable in making a fair determination of market value and make the deal.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You aren't talking apples to apples. Wentz 's contract was described by the team as 4 years at $128MM, and what we are talking about with Dak is something that will be described in a similar fashion. If there is something built into the deal that allows it to be spread out in a different manner than the team and press conference conveyed, there is nothing to day it may not work that way with Dak.

In your opinion but the facts are the facts. Do the math. Over 6 years, what's the average of that contract? It's not 32 million per.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
These threads always make me laugh. They think these athletes are robots and have no feelings and don't live in the real world. And don't even try to relate it to their own situation. Do you even know how much $10million is? Would you voluntarily turn that down? Absolutely not. You would not even turn down a salary of $50,000 vs $40,000. You think just because you hit a certain threshold of money, it doesn't have any more value? That somehow $10million every year doesn't mean anything? Be for real and get a grip on reality.

If a person's going market right is $30million and higher, why on earth would he settle for 30% less just because you claim $10million less is no biggie?

Armchair QBs talking about a grown man's finances amuse me sometimes.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep

It is what it is. Its tough on us ole diehards but they’re attracting fringe and fantasy fans. I must admit I’m not watching as much NFL as I used to. I still watch all the Cowboy games and other games of interest for us but I often find myself now playing golf when the weathers nice if we are playing late and just getting in to watch end of early games before our kickoff. Where I never play golf on Saturday during football season.
I cannot stay engaged in a game. The game that they used to broadcast between 2:45-3:00 hours now takes 3:30 and the amount of action is identical.

I am not usually that "things were better guy back in my day" but the game was more watchable back then when they only had one really good professional sports broadcaster who knew how to watch the game with the fans. Now, these guys keep repeating what each other is saying. I expect to see a shot of Buck with a parrot on his shoulder. New drinking game, when Aikman says "that's right Joe" and then goes on to say the same thing Buck just said.

The other thing that has not boosted the game for me is instant replay, it's made me lazy. When I first started watching, I would be glued for fear of missing the play and would wait to whizz until the commercial break, which was nothing like what they have now. Hell, now I can go whizz, poop, make a batch of cookies and get into two arguments on this forum in one commercial break.

I am following my son's advice when I try to time shift this season. I kept forgetting I was taping the game so he suggested I make a sign "It is recording" to remind me and put it up by the TV. I am going to add "Stupid" to the end of that for impact.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
These threads always make me laugh. They think these athletes are robots and have no feelings and don't live in the real world. And don't even try to relate it to their own situation. Do you even know how much $10million is? Would you voluntarily turn that down? Absolutely not. You would not even turn down a salary of $50,000 vs $40,000. You think just because you hit a certain threshold of money, it doesn't have any more value? That somehow $10million every year doesn't mean anything? Be for real and get a grip on reality.

If a person's going market right is $30million and higher, why on earth would he settle for 30% less just because you claim $10million less is no biggie?

Armchair QBs talking about a grown man's finances amuse me sometimes.

If the price is going to be 30 million this year or next, what is the incentive for the Cowboys to do a deal this year at all? They should just allow Dak to play for 2 million and pay the 30 next season.

I don't buy that. There has to be incentive for both to do a deal. Fans talk as if it's only a one way street. That's not the case to me.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Drew Brees in 2012:

"I can tell you from the start of this negotiation, I never thought once, 'Hey, I want to be the highest-paid guy," Brees said."
"Brees' average salary of $20 million surpassed the NFL-record $19.2 million per year that the Denver Broncos gave quarterback Peyton Manning earlier this year."

There are others, if you haven't heard or seen them, you missed it...
That’s him saying it’s not about the money because the Saints gave him 20 lol?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Why do people always feel the need to count another man's money?

I think most fans don't care how much money a player makes, except for how it affects the team overall. Personally, I would completely ignore player salaries if it weren't for the salary cap. That's the one and only reason why I care what a player makes. If a player gets paid so much that the team has to scrimp in other important areas and thus weaken the team, that bothers me. But the fact that a player can afford to live in a super nice house and own multiple luxury cars, go on expensive vacations, etc., I don't even think about or care about that at all.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In your opinion but the facts are the facts. Do the math. Over 6 years, what's the average of that contract? It's not 32 million per.

What you are missing is that it is a 4 year, 128MM contract EXTENSION, but the signing bonus portion of it starts kicking right away rather than waiting until the extension kicks in. It's just a structure thing, but it doesn't change the fact that the team is paying $128MM for 4 additional years.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I cannot stay engaged in a game. The game that they used to broadcast between 2:45-3:00 hours now takes 3:30 and the amount of action is identical.

I am not usually that "things were better guy back in my day" but the game was more watchable back then when they only had one really good professional sports broadcaster who knew how to watch the game with the fans. Now, these guys keep repeating what each other is saying. I expect to see a shot of Buck with a parrot on his shoulder. New drinking game, when Aikman says "that's right Joe" and then goes on to say the same thing Buck just said.

The other thing that has not boosted the game for me is instant replay, it's made me lazy. When I first started watching, I would be glued for fear of missing the play and would wait to whizz until the commercial break, which was nothing like what they have now. Hell, now I can go whizz, poop, make a batch of cookies and get into two arguments on this forum in one commercial break.

I am following my son's advice when I try to time shift this season. I kept forgetting I was taping the game so he suggested I make a sign "It is recording" to remind me and put it up by the TV. I am going to add "Stupid" to the end of that for impact.
Buck is not tolerable so I usually mute him. Just have to adapt and overcome.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Buck is not tolerable so I usually mute him. Just have to adapt and overcome.
I actually find him as good as Michaels with his delivery and coherence. I do not like trying to listen to Nantz and Romo because of their delivery. Just different strokes.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I actually find him as good as Michaels with his delivery and coherence. I do not like trying to listen to Nantz and Romo because of their delivery. Just different strokes.
Love Romo and Nantz as does the vast majority. Also, the vast majority can't stand Buck. And it doesn't matter what sport he covers. During the US open this year I had to mute him. He focuses on the negative with the majority of his comments.