Why doesn't someone create a different draft publication?

bpfred

Reaction score
I would like to see someone create a different type of draft publication than what is already out there. Something that would give different grades to a player depending on the scheme in which they would play.

As an example: Kiwanuka. Give him two or three different grades. In a 4/3 he may get a 2nd round ranking as a DE. In a 3/4 he would probably carry a 5th round grade as an OLB, and a 4th round grade as a situational pass rusher DE. Something like that.

A list of grades for OLB in a 4/3 vs a list of grades for OLB in a 3/4 would have substantially different rankings. A list of teams which run the 4/3 next to a list of 4/3 grades would probably be informative. Things like that.

Likewise, a similar grading technique for DT. Whether they fit into a 3/4 or 4/3. Systematic discussions of players' abilities and how they fit into a one or two gap scheme. And different grades depending on the scheme they would be asked to play.

A refinement of grading methods for evaluating offensive linemem, particularly guards, would be useful for the casual fan. Are they straight ahead power blockers or can they pull/get out in front of screens? For example, I doubt Dallas drafts guards like Gilles, Latui, or Spenser. They aren't guys that can physically run a screen, and Parcells likes to have screens in his playbook. Yet all those guys get high grades from the draft publications, despite the fact they just won't factor into some teams' draft boards. Providing multiple grades, depending on how well they fit into different blocking schemes, and a list of teams running the schemes would be a nice service.

Further, a discussion of teams/coaches. What philosophies they have; what schemes they run; the personnel weaknesses they have. If you look at Kiper's Blue Book, for example, his team discussions are pretty much limited to personnel weaknesses, with very limited discussions of philosophies/schemes.
Then fans would be able to follow player evaluations and project how the draft might fall far better than they can now.

Someone who created a publication like that would probably have a nice little business after two or three years--provided they did a halfway decent job.

Pokes28

Reaction score
The problem with draft publications are that books/magazines aren't cheap to start and there are a ton of draft oriented web sites.

While I agree that there is definitely a need for more in depth analysis by teams, this is difficult as books/magazines require the finished product to be submitted for printing quite a while in advance.

Also, most of the books say that a guy will better fit as an OLB in a 3-4 than as a DE in a 4-3.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

DiscipleofTuna

Reaction score
The next college football season I hope to tape games and analyze them a little different than what is being presented. I will let you know the cost if I get there :);)