News: Why Don’t The Cowboys Invest In “War Daddies” During Free Agency?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Why Don’t The Cowboys Invest In “War Daddies” During Free Agency?
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017...in-war-daddies-rod-marinelli-free-agents-2017

...In 2016, the defensive lineman who played the most snaps in the NFL was Olivier Vernon of the New York Giants, who signed an $85 million contract in the offseason, making it the richest contract for a defensive end in NFL history. No wonder they used him for 1,040 defensive snaps.

How many snaps did the leading Cowboy lineman have in 2016? The answer is rookie Maliek Collins, who played 656 snaps. That ranked him 50th in the NFL. Only three teams out of 32 had defensive linemen lead with fewer snaps - Atlanta (630), Baltimore (636), and Indianapolis (645).

In 2015, who had the most snaps on the Cowboys line? It was Tyrone Crawford, who had 705, ranking him 38th in NFL. DeMarcus Lawrence was one spot behind with 700 snaps. Notably, Greg Hardy got in 595 snaps in 2015, despite being the highest paid lineman Dallas has had under Marinelli. Of course, Hardy missed four games due to suspension, so he was on pace for 793 snaps. But would Marinelli have used him that much spread over 16 games?...

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Not for nothing, but I think we might be in real position in 2018 to hit a home run or two in free agency.

I'm convinced this new "strategy" has been much more about can't than won't

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017...in-war-daddies-rod-marinelli-free-agents-2017

...In 2016, the defensive lineman who played the most snaps in the NFL was Olivier Vernon of the New York Giants, who signed an $85 million contract in the offseason, making it the richest contract for a defensive end in NFL history. No wonder they used him for 1,040 defensive snaps.

How many snaps did the leading Cowboy lineman have in 2016? The answer is rookie Maliek Collins, who played 656 snaps. That ranked him 50th in the NFL. Only three teams out of 32 had defensive linemen lead with fewer snaps - Atlanta (630), Baltimore (636), and Indianapolis (645).

In 2015, who had the most snaps on the Cowboys line? It was Tyrone Crawford, who had 705, ranking him 38th in NFL. DeMarcus Lawrence was one spot behind with 700 snaps. Notably, Greg Hardy got in 595 snaps in 2015, despite being the highest paid lineman Dallas has had under Marinelli. Of course, Hardy missed four games due to suspension, so he was on pace for 793 snaps. But would Marinelli have used him that much spread over 16 games?...

Certainly something to ponder sea urchin.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not for nothing, but I think we might be in real position in 2018 to hit a home run or two in free agency.

I dont as much "cant" as "not prudent" at the moment. They can get the money now if they want, they just have to kick the can now to do it. I dont think they want another Demarcus Ware situation. Once they have Martin locked up, and have some cap you may see a big ticket signing when they dont have to do 5 restructures to get money

LittleD

Reaction score
Why pay 15mil per year for a full time player who gets tired in the 4th quarter. Marinelli likes to have 8-9 rotation guys
who go full out for the snaps they get. In his system, the more sacks you get, the more playing time you get. WDE's
are like QB's, they are expensive and hard guys to hit on. Every team is looking for one as they are the #2 position
in the Money-5 on an NFL team.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I'd rather we not.

Your 'War Daddys' are almost exclusively day 1 free agency signings. Day 1 free agency signings are usually horrendous. If you're signing a Free Agent on Day 1, you're essentially looking at a 'win now' mentality because historically Day 1 free agent signings are well overpaid and the real value is in the first 2 years of their contract and they don't live up to the rest of the contract.

The Win Now mentality doesn't work because it puts you closer to missing the playoffs in the future. After year 1 or 2, you're now more likely to have to give up valuable players to keep your big day 1 FA signing(s) from years before.

And this is even more incredibly risky with defensive players who have historically been more than twice as likely to get injured as offensive players in the NFL. If anything, good defensive football in the NFL starts with quality depth and signing 'War Daddys' in FA, particularly on Day 1, is going to to hurt your depth on defense in the long run.

In the end, the best way to win the Super Bowl is to position yourself to make the playoffs as often as you can and that increases the odds of finally winning the Super Bowl.

YR

AbeBeta

Reaction score

If you think it is "can't" then you are misreading the salary cap

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score

Oddly, I've looked at the situation in reverse. We say we can sign anyone we want with way we structure our contracts "annual restructures are structured into the contracts" but rarely do much of anything. We're playing with scared money; re-sign our own or cheap FAs.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
The crazy thing is Maliek was just coming off an injury. Dude should beast this year even more..

every year the fans pick a mediocre player and we year this ...." blank is going to beast this year" "blank is going to have a break out year".

First, lets form a posse to take out the person who started "war daddy" that is about as annoying as difference maker.

Than lets take notes to the fans who want to ramp up ho um players, invest in some billboards and remind them after the season. "such and such player isnt as good as you dream them to be"

CCBoy

Reaction score
Oddly, I've looked at the situation in reverse. We say we can sign anyone we want with way we structure our contracts "annual restructures are structured into the contracts" but rarely do much of anything. We're playing with scared money; re-sign our own or cheap FAs.

At some point, the cap is 'fixed' and one actually throws all in on winning strongly for a while.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
every year the fans pick a mediocre player and we year this ...." blank is going to beast this year" "blank is going to have a break out year".

First, lets form a posse to take out the person who started "war daddy" that is about as annoying as difference maker.

Than lets take notes to the fans who want to ramp up ho um players, invest in some billboards and remind them after the season. "such and such player isnt as good as you dream them to be"
I love your salty tone. Keep telling it like it is. :clap: