Why don't the NFL make prospects run with full pads?

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I for one would like to see the 40 times with full pads. Lets see someone run a
4.3 with 15lbs of equipment on their back! While I'm at it I would make'm wear
a helmet too.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Vinnie2u said:
a helmet too.
Or better yet, time a WR running a deep route being covered in a scrimmage.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
Vinnie2u said:
a helmet too.

I think that is a reasonable idea, make them do all the drills in pads. It would be more realistic to what they look like. No hitting or anything but just with the equipment.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I agree, thats part of the difference between game speed and track speed.

Like people have said Emmitt Smith and Jerry Rice were slow on their combine speeds, yet continued to run away from people and score on long plays.

there are a few reasons this could be...

1) Andrenilin, something that makes us all stronger and faster during times of dire need.

2) Dire need, some people really want, feel they need to produce when it counts...maybe some call this heart.

3) Strenght and body build. Some people the pads mean less (less that it slows them down less, if that makes sense) than others.

It would be interesting to time the players in pads and without pads. See the ratio developed between certain players. Like someone who runs a 4.4 without pads and runs a 4.55 in pads. Compare that to someone who runs a 44 without...and a 4.65 with pads.

Interesting topic, thanks for bringing it up.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Vinnie2u said:
a helmet too.

You know what? That is a good idea! Let the player chose the pads that he likes to wear...and go through the drills with those on!

You have earned one Silver Star...! :starspin

boysfanindc

Reaction score
It all relative folks, the forty time is a metric, adding pads would slow everyone down equally. So what's the point, a fast guy without pads is still a fast guy in pads.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
boysfanindc said:
It all relative folks, the forty time is a metric, adding pads would slow everyone down equally. So what's the point, a fast guy without pads is still a fast guy in pads.
Not true at all. Pads and game conditions affect different players differently. The differences seem subtle but make a world of difference come gametime.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
5Stars said:
You know what? That is a good idea! Let the player chose the pads that he likes to wear...and go through the drills with those on!

You have earned one Silver Star...! :starspin

Thanks for the star!!

boysfanindc

Reaction score
theogt said:
Not true at all. Pads and game conditions affect different players differently. The differences seem subtle but make a world of difference come gametime.

The thread is about pads. You put 2 guys in pads and have them run a straight line 40 like they do in the combine. The fast guy will beat the slower guy by the same margin.

Now if you are talking about football speed, that is something different, that is why they measure the drills.

But pads would make no difference on who is faster it would be relative.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
boysfanindc said:
The thread is about pads. You put 2 guys in pads and have them run a straight line 40 like they do in the combine. The fast guy will beat the slower guy by the same margin.

Now if you are talking about football speed, that is something different, that is why they measure the drills.

But pads would make no difference on who is faster it would be relative.
So why not time the DBs while they are covering the WRs, who are being timed in a 40 yard deep route. All in pads, the fastest time should be fastest game speed right?