Why Escobar?

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I think Garrett wants a 2 TE offense. The positives are very nice if you have the personnel for it. It provides an extra blocker if you need it. It also can dictate what the opposing defense does.

Let's say they bring out a nickel package...we can run the ball. They come out with the base package, we can throw.

The key is that both guys have to be able to beat coverage from LB's, safeties and corners. Then, one guy has to be able to do it from the TE, H-Back and out wide positions.

That's what the Pats have. Gronkowski mostly plays the TE spot and Hernandez moves around to where they think they need him. If teams double Gronk and have safety help over the top on the WR's, this leaves Hernandez in a good position to make plays.

We really didn't have that with Fasano. Not athletic enough. A decent player from the TE spot, but not much from the H-Back and really not a out-wide receiver either. Bennett simply doesn't have the *skills* in receiving. He's got the size, talent and athleticism...but is not that great of a receiver...even when he was with the G-Men (that's why they let him go). And he's not an H-Back or out-wide guy either.

I don't really like the pick either. But, I can see what they are thinking. I think Escobar gives us more of a Hernandez type of player.

YR

KB1122

Reaction score
In the past, Tony has only had one tight end to check down to. Now he has two.

KB1122

Reaction score
The other problem is that the passing game is better with us feeding Dez and Austin the ball rather than having spreading it out to 200 receivers. I don't want Dez's touches going to a new tight end and/or third receiver. Laurent Robinson did a nice job for the Cowboys, but did he unitentionally slow Dez's development? At some point you have too few basketballs for too many shooters.

FiveRings

Reaction score
KB1122;5070148 said:
The other problem is that the passing game is better with us feeding Dez and Austin the ball rather than having spreading it out to 200 receivers. I don't want Dez's touches going to a new tight end and/or third receiver. Laurent Robinson did a nice job for the Cowboys, but did he unitentionally slow Dez's development? At some point you have too few basketballs for too many shooters.

I completely disagree, New England thrives because they put the team above all else, they're not worried about getting a player their touches, whether it be Gronk, Hernandez,Woodhead or Amendola. The Pats just do what they have to, to ensure victory.

Also, in an offense with Tony Romo, who likes to open the pocket,spread the field and be creative, you can't have too many options.

So yeah, in all honesty I like the player, just don't like the drafting process of getting Escobar

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FiveRings;5069631 said:
I mean Hanna is an identical player to Escobar

I don't remember reading anything like this about Hanna last year:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...l&player=44183

SUMMARY - Gavin Escobar comes into the NFL at a perfect time for his set of skills. Teams are using the hybrid tight end to stretch the field with their length, long arms and ability to wall off defenders because of the size of their bodies.
Escobar brings all of these skills to the NFL table and more as he has great hands and catches everything that is thrown at him. He consistently catches the ball away from his body, making it more difficult for defenses to cover him. He shows explosion in and out of his breaks, and he eats up cushion quickly when lined up from the slot. Linebackers can't stay with him because of his movement ability, and cornerbacks can't stay with him because of his size. His ability to run after the catch is truly underrated because he can move laterally and avoid the tackler, and then run into open space. He consistently can locate the ball, make an adjustment with his body and make the catch. This might be Escobar's best trait, and his biggest asset going forward. He makes tough catches look easy and will make a quarterback more accurate with his huge catching radius. He has incredible hands, and makes contested catches all over the field. Escobar is going to present significant challenges to NFL defenses because of his ability to play jump ball in the red zone and down the seam. If he can improve in the blocking area, he will be the complete package and a rock star in the NFL. He warrants consideration in the middle of Round 1, and should be in consideration to be the first tight end off the board in April.

Or this:

System

Escobar lined up all over the formation at San Diego State. He was an inline tight end, slot receiver, and H-back, sometimes changing his position before the snap.

Release

Escobar gets up to speed quickly with a good burst out of his stance. He even gets a good launch out of a three-point stance. Cushion from linebackers and safeties gets eaten up right away when Escobar rips the seam.

Routes

Escobar has an excellent throttle-down and break in his routes and finds lots of soft spots in zone defenses with these abilities. He can get up the field quickly, but lacks a second gear to separate downfield. Still, with his height and ball skills, he can be a viable target in tight coverage.

Hands

Escobar is a natural hands catcher who almost never lets the ball get into his body. He can fluidly extend and go high for a catch as easily as he can get low to snag an errant pass. Escobar might have the best hands of any tight end in this class. He'll gain the trust of his quarterback very quickly.

Ball Skills

Adjusting to the ball in flight is a routine exercise for Escobar. He can go high, low, or twist around to make his effective catch radius as big as any player in this class at tight end, and all but a few wide receivers. Escobar doesn't quite maximize his ability here, as he lacks a "my ball mentality" and does not attack the ball upon arrival.

wileedog

Reaction score
myslamsareolder;5069897 said:
No one called him a terrible blocker.

NFL.com called him a terrible blocker.

Not a blocker, either plays too close to his body or lunges from a distance. Soft and tentative on first contact. Was held out of the full-time starting role in 2011 because of it. Leads with elbows or shoulders when blocking.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/gavin-escobar?id=2540211

Meanwhile Fox Sports scouting report on Witten said this:

Witten is the most complete tight end in this year's draft. He has everything needed of a tight end.

He has great hands and is a physical blocker.

http://msn.foxsports.com/home/story/Jason-Witten-Scouting-Report

One guy was considered one of the most complete TEs in the draft, the other was kept out of the starting lineup at one point for his lack of blocking abilities.

Stop trying to equate the two.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
Galian Beast;5069686 said:
Did you ever ask yourself, maybe they didn't think Hanna could step into that role this year? Or that they are hedging their bets? If they want to keep two tight end sets going as a foundation of our offense, what happens when Witten retires? Or when a player is injured?

Did the Patriots having Gronkowski and Hernandez stop them from signing Kellen Winslow Jr AND Visanthe Shiancoe?

Colts had a lot of early success with Dallas Clark and Marcus Pollard. And what did Denver end up doing?

Tamme and Dressen.

They wanted someone more established than Hanna, but that doesn't mean Hanna is on the outs either.

We also brought in a deep threat to develop at wide receiver. Likely they ultimately want him to replace Austin, which will save a lot of money in the future. And this two tight end system will be even more valuable once Austin is gone.

So what you see as a need, doesn't take the big picture into account. You miss out on the money aspect and the salary cap aspect.

We drafted a corner who probably won't start this year (even in the nickel), that said, he might be able to develop into a nickel corner who can replace Scandrick before he becomes cost prohibitive next year.

Pretty well sums it up in my mind. Folks miss the point that:
1. There is always a need on any team

2. You have to have players in the pipeline to develop

3. We signed 2 guards last year - like them or not, they're likely to stay another season or two.

I really didn't have a problem with taking Escobar...he is largely thought of to be in the mold of the Pats Gronkowski...signaling the the desire to use the 12 package. Williams is also an upgrade over Harris in my mind, although I would hold onto him too. The RB will get plenty of snaps this year too. On the other hand, I would have been sorely disappointed had the team drafted 3 OL! Talk about shortsighted.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
CATCH17;5069704 said:
Exactly.

We were borderline unstoppable in 07 when Marion Barber got going.

The quickest fix for this team is better line play. Not more passing weapons.

You are really coming around. I'm impressed with you lately.:bow:

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
First off Dallas took OLine with the 1st pick.

Secondly to say TE and WR doesn't help fix the problems on Offense is amazingly boxed in thinking.

There were times when the Oline broke down, but there were many more times when there was nobody open for Romo to pass the ball to.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I was surprised by the pick. I like what the kid brings to the table but the pick was not expected. Upside is as Witten is getting older if they feel Escobar will take over that role in the next 2 to 3 years outside of that I was shocked by the selection. Again not going to attack the player I see a lot of upside in his talent and what he can bring to the Cowboys offense.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Doomsday101;5070757 said:
I was surprised by the pick. I like what the kid brings to the table but the pick was not expected. Upside is as Witten is getting older if they feel Escobar will take over that role in the next 2 to 3 years outside of that I was shocked by the selection. Again not going to attack the player I see a lot of upside in his talent and what he can bring to the Cowboys offense.

Escobar has a little upside too.

He came out early and he went to a small school.

If he can become an average blocker that will be good enough.

Witten is pretty average as a blocker at this point in his career and nobody complains about his blocking.

I just don't know how to rate this guy since there really isn't any good video of him but i'm ready to see him in the pre-season.

conner01

Reaction score
I see two issues here. did we need another te? and is he a good player ?
i did'nt see te as a high prority but if you are gonna run the 12 you needed another te for sure, maybe not that early but you did need one
as for the player i think when he hits the field people will like what they see. he is plays with his body alot, he uses his size to get open. he plays faster than he times and while he played in a lesser conference than the big 12 he was the offense. teams put cb's on him and doubled him and he still got open

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Escobar has amazing hands, he moves the chanins and creates 3rd and short while being the best safety outlet Tony Romo has.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I was surprised too. Mainly because I keep hearing the NE references but we haven't run anything close to what they have run so far. They use their TEs to create match up issues while running their no huddle...teams can't bring in other packages. Last year we refused to run no huddle until we fell behind and I'm not sure if there is a change to do that now. We passed on Swerengin(sp?) the safety and some others. Though there is nothing I don't like about this kid, I just didn't see the need. If we had alternated O-line, D-line for 6 picks I would have been fine...sprinkle in a safety that isn't a project.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CATCH17;5070766 said:

Witten is pretty average as a blocker at this point in his career and nobody complains about his blocking.

I just don't know how to rate this guy since there really isn't any good video of him but i'm ready to see him in the pre-season.

I know many who have watched him who say this kids can catch anything thrown in his direction. At 6'6" he is a heck of a target

FiveRings

Reaction score
CATCH17;5070766 said:

But you're missing my original point. If we didn't have Hanna, who was making great strides towards being the Hernandez type receiving TE last year, already in our back pocket I would be in favor of the trade. But, we do. And mind you, Hanna beats most of Escobar's measureables, has a year of NFL experience under his belt, and came from a bigger program.

Another thing that makes me unhappy with the trade, is the reality of us having Eifert in the first, and taking Fred in the second. So if Jerry really was hell bent on taking a TE in the first two, he could have at least taken a player that didn't make all of his fans (and Tony Cassilas) go, Who?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CATCH17;5070766 said:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...l&player=44183

SUMMARY - Gavin Escobar comes into the NFL at a perfect time for his set of skills. Teams are using the hybrid tight end to stretch the field with their length, long arms and ability to wall off defenders because of the size of their bodies.
Escobar brings all of these skills to the NFL table and more as he has great hands and catches everything that is thrown at him. He consistently catches the ball away from his body, making it more difficult for defenses to cover him. He shows explosion in and out of his breaks, and he eats up cushion quickly when lined up from the slot. Linebackers can't stay with him because of his movement ability, and cornerbacks can't stay with him because of his size. His ability to run after the catch is truly underrated because he can move laterally and avoid the tackler, and then run into open space. He consistently can locate the ball, make an adjustment with his body and make the catch. This might be Escobar's best trait, and his biggest asset going forward. He makes tough catches look easy and will make a quarterback more accurate with his huge catching radius. He has incredible hands, and makes contested catches all over the field. Escobar is going to present significant challenges to NFL defenses because of his ability to play jump ball in the red zone and down the seam. If he can improve in the blocking area, he will be the complete package and a rock star in the NFL. He warrants consideration in the middle of Round 1, and should be in consideration to be the first tight end off the board in April.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
CATCH17;5070766 said:

This.

Jason Witten wasn't a great blocker coming out of Tennessee. I still remember Parcells questioning Witten's ability as a blocker as well as his immediate future as a starter. Fortunately, Witten had a great mentor (Campbell) and a strong desire to compete.

If Escobar has the same competitive drive, I see no reason why he cannot become a complete TE.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Let me ask people this.

1. How many defensive tackles do you need to run a 3-4 defense?

2. How many defensive tackles do you need to run a 4-3 defense?

3. How many tight ends do you need to run a 11 formation?

4. How many tight ends do you need to run a 12 formation?

5. Was tight end a need?