Why hire a DC from the outside when MM contract isn't extended?

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
If it's an established coach who will be in the mix for 2025 openings then they don't need to play this game. If McCarthy is fired then those someone like Vrabel will garner interest from Jerry no matter what so might as well just wait it out and see what other options there are a year from now instead of wasting time as a DC for a season. There might actually be better options than the Cowboys

JBS

Reaction score
Your title isn’t the same as the thread you created

Are you asking why we should hire a guy from the outside or why a guy from the outside would take this job?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Your title isn’t the same as the thread you created

Are you asking why we should hire a guy from the outside or why a guy from the outside would take this job?
I doubt he even knows what he's asking? lol. Please give your thoughts.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
It doesn't make sense for a person to do a one year experiment with this team, and possibly be let go with a new coach, please give your thoughts
In Jerry fashion, he could force the coordinator on the next coach...like he does everytime. You know "structural advantage". of neutering a head ciach

Verdict

Reaction score
This.

Jerry doesnt realize the situation hes put this team in by not firing McCarthy, confirming him, and not extending him. Its a no win situation.
I know that’s the conventional wisdom. I tend to not agree with it.

When people are forced to perform or be replaced they either rise to the top, or wilt under pressure.

I don’t think that it’s any surprise that one of Dak’s better years was when he was “betting on himself” to get a huge contract.

Every person should be placed in a perform or be replaced situation. MM being in a one year deal is different than a new head coach coming in on a one year deal. This is already MM’s team.

It’s different for a DC because they might be auditioning as the Cowboys head coach literally next year. A one year deal is not a bad gig for a DC especially if Jerry wants to open up the checkbook.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
agree, I prefer a internal hire.

Make way for a totally new staff in 2025 if we have another failed season.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It’s gotta be someone that doesn’t mind having a potential one and done and poor showing on their resume.

It’s very unlikely they are willing or able to acquire the personnel to fix this run defense problem on one off season….as in…one draft.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I know that’s the conventional wisdom. I tend to not agree with it.

When people are forced to perform or be replaced they either rise to the top, or wilt under pressure.

I don’t think that it’s any surprise that one of Dak’s better years was when he was “betting on himself” to get a huge contract.

Every person should be placed in a perform or be replaced situation. MM being in a one year deal is different than a new head coach coming in on a one year deal. This is already MM’s team.

It’s different for a DC because they might be auditioning as the Cowboys head coach literally next year. A one year deal is not a bad gig for a DC especially if Jerry wants to open up the checkbook.
Players and coaches are different things.

A coach that is coaching with no new deal is a lot different than a player betting on himself. Thats added pressure a coach doesnt need when trying to control 53 animals.

It tells the players they have no trust in the coach as well.